Computer help: video slow to post [boot up problem]

sarausagi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Okay, I recently switched out my motherboard and processor

I went from a socket 754 with an Athlon 3000 to a Socket AM2 with an Athlon 4800

Unfortunately, I had to buy a new video card in order to switch out the parts, so the cheapest thing in PCI-E I could find was an X300 Radeon [I didn't have the time to wait for online shipping]

Anyways...I set everything up..everything is running fine..but I have one problem

When I am about to use my computer, first I turn on my monitor, and it says "no signal"

Then I turn on my computer, and it says no signal..

Then the signal kicks in...right around the time the first post [before it loads Windows]

I have a problem with this, one, because it seems slow, and two, because I have to press the "Delete" key before hand [with no signal] if I want to bios...and since there is no signal for the first 5 or 10 seconds, I can't really see my boot up information..

This never happened with my old 754 motherboard and AGP card

Download and install the latest drivers.

Also what type of Power supply do you have?
This new card could be taking to much juice from the ps during boot.

I've had that happen with a few computers. I've even had the monitor periodically go to "no signal" during the boot process, back and forth. I always just ignored it, so I don't think it's a MAJOR problem, just more an annoyance. And if there wasn't enough power for the card during BOOT, wouldn't it be even worse during real work?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I've had that happen with a few computers. I've even had the monitor periodically go to "no signal" during the boot process, back and forth. I always just ignored it, so I don't think it's a MAJOR problem, just more an annoyance. And if there wasn't enough power for the card during BOOT, wouldn't it be even worse during real work?[/QUOTE]

No, cause when you boot it when the power supply is at its greatest strain. It has to get the big ol heavy hard drive up to 7200 rpms + the reading and booting. Its got to get all those fans spinning, that processor warmed up, and that video card fired up.

When window finally boots and your at your desktop everything is running at a low levels. The power supply only needs to keep everything running.

Look at starting a computer like starting a lawnmower. You yank and yank on the string until it fires up. i.e great force is needed to start it. Not so much when its running.

bread's done
Back