Computer Help!

Krohboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey there fellow CAGs! I have a question to ask you guys. I used to love PC gaming (Age of Empires II: Age of Kings was my favorite), but my computer is a terribly outdated Dell that can't even play my copy of Age of Mythology. I'm thinking it's time to upgrade. I don't want the best of the best since I'm a Sophomore in high school, and will probably upgrade in college. I'd like to be able to play games like Gears of War, Age of Empires III, and others (Suggestions?). I have limited budget as I work after school. I'd like to know your guys suggestions on a cheap desktop computer. Keep in mind I'm not going for something that plays high resolution Crysis.

I've never build a computer, but I'm open to the idea of it.

Also one of my friends is looking for a cheap Dell GX150. \

Well you are not going to find any budget machines that can play Gears of War, that is a real system hog. The best thing would be to build it yourself. However you could also look around SD and wait for some Dell deal to come up, which happens pretty often.

Heres some setups for you. A refurb gx150 is about 300$ so I'll try to get these as close as possible.

(Intel Decent setup)
Cheapass Case: 40$
Cheapass PSU: 60$
Cheapass Mobo (P35): 70$
Cheapass Ram 2gb: 60$
Cheapass CPU (c2d 4500): 124$
Cheapass VC(hd 2600 512): 80$
Cheapass HD (80gb): 40$
Cheapass DVD +- Drive: 25$
=499$ before rebates/shipping/tax. Realistic final price.. 480$.

A PC at this price point would be able to play the majority of new games on Med/High settings and would be able to take care of lower end needs with no issue. Lower resolutions. No AA. Obviously, no Crysis.

This would also allow you to upgrade you VC or CPU using a P35 mobo, whenever you want.

(True Cheapass build)
Case: 40$
PSU: 50$
Mobo: 70$
Memory (1gb): 25$
CPU (3gb P4): 67$
VC(2600 hd 256mb): 60$
HD: 40$
DVD Drive: 20$
Total: 372$ Realistic price- 360$

A build at this price would use a high clocked P4 processor and the 256 version of the 2600 hd. This would still allow you to play many modern games at medium/low settings with no AA and lower resolutions and older games with no problems.

I basically agree with the above suggestion: Buy a new case and motherboard first. Spend decent money on these; choose a high-end motherboard with loads of upgradeability. Go as high as $100-$150 on the board. For example, a socket 775 board can run a cheapo $50 single core processor, or a megabucks Core 2 Duo which you'll want in a few years when the price comes down. Spend time researching the motherbaords (newegg is great) before you buy.

Then scrimp on all the other components: buy a cheap video card, sound, RAM, CPU, PSU etc to save money. You can proabably keep it under $400 for the hardware. Then in a few years when you want to upgrade, spend the big bucks on all the fancy parts you want, and you won't have to endure the hassle of reinstalling the O/S (unless you buy a bigger hard drive).

The only caveat to this plan is that you'll have parts to hawk after the upgrade. So if you hate dealing with eBay to unload stuff, then it would be too much hassle.

Cletus, I have used 4 different P35 boards and I like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059 the most for a good budget board. As far as a CPU goes it all depends on how much you want to spend. All C2D are still very kick ass and can OC good. If you are a hardcore gamer look at the ones with the bigger Cache, if you are just a casual with some hardcore gaming I recommend E2160, E2180 or E2200 with an easy overclock with stock parts.

If you are on a limited budget I recommend going the E21xx route and put your money in the GPU. If you have a decent budget go ahead and get a CPU with the 4M or 6M catche. I have built and used both and only make a small difference on the latest games or if you don't OC.

[quote name='Krohboy']Hey there fellow CAGs! I have a question to ask you guys. I used to love PC gaming (Age of Empires II: Age of Kings was my favorite), but my computer is a terribly outdated Dell that can't even play my copy of Age of Mythology. I'm thinking it's time to upgrade. I don't want the best of the best since I'm a Sophomore in high school, and will probably upgrade in college. I'd like to be able to play games like Gears of War, Age of Empires III, and others (Suggestions?). I have limited budget as I work after school. I'd like to know your guys suggestions on a cheap desktop computer. Keep in mind I'm not going for something that plays high resolution Crysis.

I've never build a computer, but I'm open to the idea of it.

Also one of my friends is looking for a cheap Dell GX150. \[/quote]
You can get cheap barebone deals these days from new egg or tigerdirect.
so get a nice dual core setup for relatively cheap.

Oh and BTW please email me at [email protected] so that I can send you a pic of the machine I'm willing to hook your friend up with.

Thanks.

I went this route:

Dell Vostro

I upped to the Q6600.

Q6600
250 GB SATA
8800GT 512 MB
Vista Premium
DVD R/w , CD-R/W + DVD
1 GB RAM (ordered 2 more from Frye's for $35 AR)
24" LCD (will ebay for $300 or so)
Total for me was $925 ($1025 before $100 dell gift card)

Wasn't looking for a gaming rig, more for 3D apps, but gaming ability won't hurt.
Can't be overclocked the traditional way....but there might be another way;)

If it doesn't work, I will be looking to buy a case/motherboard to transfer it to.

bread's done
Back