computer memory issue

bigscoot4269

CAGiversary!
yes i was wondering if anyone can help me out my computer appears to be out of memory, so i cant get on it to delete any of the unnecessary files. what step do i have to take now to fix it?

Holy shit... you ran out of harddrive space so you can't even delete your files?

Have you emptied out your recycling bin lately?

[quote name='dragonsho']Do you mean memory as in RAM or memory as in Hard Drive space?[/QUOTE]
I'm sure he means hard drive space, but I'm not sure how you can fill it up so much you can't even log on. Didn't think it would be possible. If you actually somehow managed to do just that the only thing I can think of is to reformat.

Don't mean to scare you, but that sounds like a virus to me. Viruses sometimes make your computer believe it's full (or sometimes make it full by filling it with "junk" or "filler" files to slow it down).

Before deleting anything (sometimes deletion of the wrong file can lead to the "birth" of new ones... just wiki "spyware" to see what I mean) I suggest running Ad-Aware, Spybot-Search&Destroy or any other good spyware detectors.

Also, if you can muster the space, run Dr. Webb's CUREIT software. (ftp://ftp.drweb.com/pub/drweb/cureit/cureit.exe) It's an always up-to-date, fast, and most importantly FREE anti-virus solution.

If your computer is saying you don't have the space, load up a flash drive and run the antivirus/spyware stuff from there.

- - - -

Aside from virus/spyware infestation, another good way to get space in a computer that's saying it's had enough to eat is to run Windows' Uninstall package. Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Software. Remove the software you don't want, get back your space.

And of course, as others have said make sure you delete Temp files (Internet AND Operating System), Recycle Bin and unused software.

Good luck, hope that helps.

[quote name='bigscoot4269']thats the thing i cant even boot it up to get on it at all safe mode didnt work either[/QUOTE]

1. Get on another computer with internet access and a CD burner

2. Download Ubuntu from www.ubuntu.com

3. Burn the .iso file you download onto a CD-R

4. Boot your "full" PC from the Ubuntu CD

5. Delete enough stuff from your C: drive so you can boot

Or you can take the hard drive out slap it in an enclosure and after you've completely loaded up another computer plug it in. Then run all the scans on the drive and if need be delete stuff. Just don't try running any files from the full hard drive

no i didnt empty it cause i didnt know how to get into what i needed to delete it was like starting completely over i could not get onto xp

[quote name='bigscoot4269']no i didnt empty it cause i didnt know how to get into what i needed to delete it was like starting completely over i could not get onto xp[/QUOTE]

You're going to have to be a LOT more specific and CLEAR if you expect to get any kind of help on this. Honestly, I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

dont know how to explain it the only way i am able to get on is through another version of windows that is really old so i havent been able to delete anything still

Is there some reason why you can't manage to create an Ubuntu CD like I suggested earlier?

With an Ubuntu CD, you can boot your PC to an operating system that is completely self contained on the CD. It bypasses your hard drive entirely.

Once you are booted unto Ubuntu, you can mount any partitions that are on your hard drive and access them through Ubuntu. Once you do this, you can explore the contents of your HD and delete some files to free up space.

It really isn't that complicated...

Since you are able to boot both "some old version of windows" and (at one time) XP, I assume that there are at least two partitions (one old windows and one XP partition) on your HD. Do you know how your HD is currently partitioned? Do you know the history of the OS installations on your HD? Was XP installed over the old windows?

bread's done
Back