Computer Monitor question

DaddyBoJangles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
My samsung sync master just died on me :( 940mw model, I had heard they had a lot of problems with the power supply in the model going out on them after awhile. I must have been lucky because mine lasted me about 4 years but now its done for.

I loved that monitor because it had component hook ups and I could play my ps3 and 360 on it, I have a 42 inch hdtv but i prefer gaming on a smaller screen, so If I bought a 19 inch HDTV link here

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...x?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A2469249#Overview

would that work just as well as buying another computer monitor?

Thanks!

[quote name='DaddyBoJangles']My samsung sync master just died on me :( 940mw model, I had heard they had a lot of problems with the power supply in the model going out on them after awhile. I must have been lucky because mine lasted me about 4 years but now its done for.

I loved that monitor because it had component hook ups and I could play my ps3 and 360 on it, I have a 42 inch hdtv but i prefer gaming on a smaller screen, so If I bought a 19 inch HDTV link here

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...x?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A2469249#Overview

would that work just as well as buying another computer monitor?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

From that site:
Supporting resolution of up to 1366 x 768 pixels

That's pretty craptastic resolution for a computer monitor.

You'd be better off getting something like this for less money:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009157

Unless you need a tuner in your monitor for whatever reason.

yeah im not worried about the resolution too much, im not big on pc gaming, i normally play in 1024 x 720 when i do play pc games, and when i play pc games its stuff like fallout, baldurs gate, neverwinter nights, nothing too crazy like crisis. we also ordered a laptop and a new desktop not too long ago from dell so id get that tv for 109.00 with my 100.00 rebate. Butttt that acer looks nice i may have to bite. Thanks guns and money,

also guns and money do you have any tips on a decent video card, mainly for diablo 3? i have a pci express my graphics card is a hd3200 onboard card. blah

I would not spend $200 for a 19" HDTV. Spend just a couple $ more and get one of the 22" dedicated monitors like Hydro linked to. An LCD monitor can display many different resolutions, unlike the HDTV which is going to give you problems with games that don't output in its 2 or 3 accepted resolutions.

Or, if you just play older games, buy a used 22" 4x3 pro-series monitor from NEC or Sony for like $50.

Or, hook your PC up to the 42" TV! Think about the awesomeness of your fave PC games on a big screen! :D Probably not convenient, though.

If you're looking for a budget videocard to play Diablo 3, I'd wait. Starcraft 2 has been rumored to have been delayed until 2010, and who knows when Diablo 3 will hit shelves. If you're running ok with what you've got now, there's no point to upgrade for a game that we don't know what specs it will need.

Otherwise, you might look at an ATI HD 4870 or the HD 4850, just make sure your PSU is hefty enough.

a lot of monitors will have hdmi inputs along with dvi and vga. as long as it has hdmi youd be set for your pc and ps3/360. even if you only play your PC at 1024x720 id look for a monitor that supports 1920x1080 (full 1080p) so you can get the most out of your 360 and ps3. also, as mr longfellow said, dont spend $200 on a 19" hdtv, you can get a nice 22" (maybe even an inch or two higher) lcd monitor at a sight like new egg. i got a 22" hdtv monitor with hdmi, dvi and vga that is full 1080p for only $180.

edit: hey that acer that lawyers linked is the exact one that i have, i love it.

Spend a little more and get the Samsung T240HD instead.
The T240HD allows you to hookup all the major consoles and is only $279 through buy.com
It is even cheaper through ebay.
(buy.com is also selling the same monitor on ebay at $279 but you can get an 8% discount through bing.com)

And yes, the T240HD is a TN panel.
The viewing angle and color accuracy kind of suck
(typical of all the low end monitors out there)
The good thing about the T240HD is that it scales correctly
(not automatically, but you can select between 16x10,16x9, and 4x3)
I have a HP LP2475 (IPS) and a Dell Ultrasharp 2408wfp (PVA).
The screens are nicer in terms of colors and viewing angle, but they don't scale correctly with the wii. (I know... I know.. who the hell would use a $500 computer monitor with the wii??? I'm weird)

edit:
Forgot to mention a con with the T240HD.
It doesn't have height adjustment.
:whistle2:(

bread's done
Back