Computer resolution won't max out on 42'' HDTV.

sealionnn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
I made my old PC into an HTPC and it's connected to my HDTV, a Samsung 42'' Plasma 720p, and the picture quality comes out weird. First, it doesn't extend fully across the screen, so there are is a black rectangle around the screen that isn't being utilized. Also, the picture appears to be blurry up close, but I'm assuming that is just because it's going to such a big screen. Netflix HD streaming doesn't appear as crisp as compared to when I go through my Xbox 360, either. Any ideas on how to get it to stretch correctly so it's not distorted?

[quote name='iRent']What video card are you using?

Might have a problem with overscan.[/QUOTE]

That is probably the reason. My Sony overscans pc input. I have to go to NVidia control panel to re-size it for my desktop. My Asus laptop with a GTS 360M gpu re-sizes it automatically. Now my Olevia works perfectly just like a large monitor.

[quote name='mogamer']That is probably the reason. My Sony overscans pc input. I have to go to NVidia control panel to re-size it for my desktop. My Asus laptop with a GTS 360M gpu re-sizes it automatically. Now my Olevia works perfectly just like a large monitor.[/QUOTE]

It's usually one of two things:
The settings are not properly set up (ex. in CCC for ATi users)

or

The monitor may not support usage of the full screen via that connection. If it has a vga or dvi connection, I would strongly recommend those instead.

I only know this because I've been looking at some monitor/tv combo's and the 2 on my list have problems with such things.

One of my choices doesn't allow usage of the whole screen using hdmi and the other requires you to either plug it in the dvi port or rename the hdmi connection such as that it reads as pc/dvi.

Only thing I can say is read the tv manual and check your settings (both tv and computer)

If you're using ATI and CCC, look for an underscan/overscan slider in the CCC somewhere. That's how I got my PC to display on my HDMI computer monitor without the black bars all around. For some reason, though, sometimes the monitor sees lower resolutions in two different states: XxY and Yp (example: 1280x720 and 720p). In XxY mode, I get black bars regardless. In 720p, I get no black bars. It's something that I haven't been able to figure out. It looks like different programs do it differently, and I have no way to control it. Luckily, 1920x1080 and 1080p never have black bars.

I don't know why this happens. It would make sense if we were still using tubes, but we aren't. It's like it's precision engineered to tick us off.

[quote name='iRent']It's usually one of two things:

or

The monitor may not support usage of the full screen via that connection. If it has a vga or dvi connection, I would strongly recommend those instead.

I only know this because I've been looking at some monitor/tv combo's and the 2 on my list have problems with such things.

One of my choices doesn't allow usage of the whole screen using hdmi and the other requires you to either plug it in the dvi port or rename the hdmi connection such as that it reads as pc/dvi.

Only thing I can say is read the tv manual and check your settings (both tv and computer)[/QUOTE]

That is what I figured. The Sony doesn't have a VGA or DVI connection. One of the HDMI ports is marked specifically for pc (it has an audio connection paired with it). Although I hooked up an older pc with a NVidia 7950GT that had the video dongle and connected it to the tv with component cables and it overscaned also. But it is an easy fix. The Olevia does have a VGA port, so that makes it even easier.

[quote name='iRent']It's usually one of two things:

or

Only thing I can say is read the tv manual and check your settings (both tv and computer)[/QUOTE]

I noticed after setting it to 720p via CCC, which is actually what I tried just before reading these replies, that the picture looked a million times better, but it still had those black bars. I'll have to check out the overscan/underscan settings. I do have it hooked up via HDMI, but my GPU has a DVI port, so if I got a DVI-HDMI adapter, would that possibly fix it? My TV only has HDMI/component ports, but one of the HDMI ports says DVI next to it. Looks like I might need to bust out the manual...

[quote name='sealionnn']I noticed after setting it to 720p via CCC, which is actually what I tried just before reading these replies, that the picture looked a million times better, but it still had those black bars. I'll have to check out the overscan/underscan settings. I do have it hooked up via HDMI, but my GPU has a DVI port, so if I got a DVI-HDMI adapter, would that possibly fix it? My TV only has HDMI/component ports, but one of the HDMI ports says DVI next to it. Looks like I might need to bust out the manual...[/QUOTE]

Try this...

Open CCC
Graphics -> Desktops & Displays
Right Click your display and click "configure"

There is a box that says "Image Scaling" and try to tick the box. (It's grayed out for me since I'm using a real monitor)

Then choose "Scale image to full panel size" as your option.

If not try your suggestion.

bread's done
Back