Conditions of Video Games and DVDs...

vivafriend5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
There's something that's really been bothering me lately when I purchase Video games and DVDs in stores nowadays... I see a title I'd like, pick it up, I'm holding a musical instument, the disc is loose and sounds like it's in pieces. I look at the case and there are large indentations, box cutter trails, scrapes, smudges, and tears in the wrapping. It wouldn't bother me so much, but every title I purchase is this way, everyone, all retail stores, no exception, regardless if it's cased, shelved, or placed in a bin, new or used. It's just so frustrating, I watch the employees and the customers beat everything to hell and back, everytime, it never changes. The thing is, up until a year or two ago, I can't recall this ever happening except on one occasion for myself. What is going on? How does everything become beaten to the point of no return all of a sudden? I'm not whining or anything, it's just a simple observation. Post with your thoughts on the subject!

I have had a lot of problems with loose discs in the case especially with Gamecube games. The spindle is very weak on those cases

Well, for one, those games could've come from a household with small kids. I know I dread leaving ANY of my games at my one friends house because his family recently took in his one brother and his 2 kids(thankfully one is nearly an adult and takes better care of her stuff). His family also has his sister and her 3 kids living upstairs, but they are horrid when it comes to taking care of stuff.

They leave discs on the table after taking them out of the system, fingerprint them all up and worst of all, drink soda around the games and the soda 'residue' gets on their fingers which transfers to the games. :whistle2:X

I'm letting my buddy borrow Jade Empire(LE no less), Fable(I'll groan if this comes back with HUGE scratches and sticky from messy lil fingers) and The Thing.

I previously let him borrow Pirates:The Legend Of Black Kat and his nieces 'took back' their silver slim PStwo that he was playing it on. The game subsequently disappeared for over a month into the black void of nothingness of his household.

I finally got it back and grabbed it and tossed it in my bag of games to take home as quick as I could.

THAT is how games end up in such atrocious condition, imo. The only thing that irks me MORE than atrocious condition are those people who trade DISC ONLY games, who just TOSS OUT the instruction manuals/cases like nothing.

I mean, I know some people are pressed for space, but cases don't take up THAT much space. I'm as picky about completeness and cleanliness of my games, as some people are about NOT EVER buying a Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits/Players Choice version of a game.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Well, for one, those games could've come from a household with small kids. I know I dread leaving ANY of my games at my one friends house because his family recently took in his one brother and his 2 kids(thankfully one is nearly an adult and takes better care of her stuff). His family also has his sister and her 3 kids living upstairs, but they are horrid when it comes to taking care of stuff.

They leave discs on the table after taking them out of the system, fingerprint them all up and worst of all, drink soda around the games and the soda 'residue' gets on their fingers which transfers to the games. :whistle2:X

I'm letting my buddy borrow Jade Empire(LE no less), Fable(I'll groan if this comes back with HUGE scratches and sticky from messy lil fingers) and The Thing.

I previously let him borrow Pirates:The Legend Of Black Kat and his nieces 'took back' their silver slim PStwo that he was playing it on. The game subsequently disappeared for over a month into the black void of nothingness of his household.

I finally got it back and grabbed it and tossed it in my bag of games to take home as quick as I could.

THAT is how games end up in such atrocious condition, imo. The only thing that irks me MORE than atrocious condition are those people who trade DISC ONLY games, who just TOSS OUT the instruction manuals/cases like nothing.

I mean, I know some people are pressed for space, but cases don't take up THAT much space. I'm as picky about completeness and cleanliness of my games, as some people are about NOT EVER buying a Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits/Players Choice version of a game.[/quote] I can't stomach the thought of lending anything, it's funny, my friend lent a PSP title to his friend. One 90 degree day, his friend left his PSP and every game he owned including my friends in his unlocked car, it was stolen, my friend never saw any sort of replacement, his friend was just too poor to compensate him in anyway:roll:. It was quite ironic, I had just discussed the dangers of lending games the day before. IMHO, the rut that you have for not lending or borrowing with someone is minor compared to the rut when something happens to what is borrowed.

[quote name='vivafriend5']I can't stomach the thought of lending anything, it's funny, my friend lent a PSP title to his friend. One 90 degree day, his friend left his PSP and every game he owned including my friends in his unlocked car, it was stolen, my friend never saw any sort of replacement, his friend was just too poor to compensate him in anyway:roll:. It was quite ironic, I had just discussed the dangers of lending games the day before. IMHO, the rut that you have for not lending or borrowing with someone is minor compared to the rut when something happens to what is borrowed.[/quote]

Oh believe me, I lent a game or two to my buddy when his sister was still married to her now EX hubby, who had a kid from another marriage. That kid proceeded to take every game he could find that my friend had(2 of which were MINE) and traded them into EB for credit or cash and got a game HE wanted with that credit.

When my buddy told me his step nephew(or whatever he was) did that, that was the first and only time I had actually considered seeing if the kid could fly(from the second floor).

Only other time I got irked was when I decided(stupidly) to bring my 39001 PS2 up my buddies house before his family got a PS2 to play one night. His one niece tripped over the controller wire while a game was in the system playing. It NEVER played right after that.

Of course, this is why I'm glad that his nieces now have their OWN system, so I don't make that same mistake again.

[quote name='yukine']YMMV.

My DVDs always come in mint condition.[/quote] Not where I'm at. Once in a blue moon, I'll find a mint title, all other days...

The one small game shop also sells DVDs here and the guy who owns the shop has a pro style resurfacing machine(not like that game dr crap). He used to do it for free, but charges a nominal $2 per disc now. Cheap, if you ask me, and well worth it if you find a 'rare' game, but it's not exactly 'mint'.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Oh believe me, I lent a game or two to my buddy when his sister was still married to her now EX hubby, who had a kid from another marriage. That kid proceeded to take every game he could find that my friend had(2 of which were MINE) and traded them into EB for credit or cash and got a game HE wanted with that credit.

When my buddy told me his step nephew(or whatever he was) did that, that was the first and only time I had actually considered seeing if the kid could fly(from the second floor).

Only other time I got irked was when I decided(stupidly) to bring my 39001 PS2 up my buddies house before his family got a PS2 to play one night. His one niece tripped over the controller wire while a game was in the system playing. It NEVER played right after that.

Of course, this is why I'm glad that his nieces now have their OWN system, so I don't make that same mistake again.[/quote] I have a better one, same pal, he has a stack of rented titles, Blockbuster, his mom grabs his newly purchased Goddfellas two disc edition and sends it down the return chute, they even fought him when he went to claim it. Yeah, I always laugh with the thought of my stuff being sold for a dollar at EB if I lent it out. When you lend stuff, might as well say sayonara...

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The one small game shop also sells DVDs here and the guy who owns the shop has a pro style resurfacing machine(not like that game dr crap). He used to do it for free, but charges a nominal $2 per disc now. Cheap, if you ask me, and well worth it if you find a 'rare' game, but it's not exactly 'mint'.[/quote] lol, I don't dare with resurfacing, I got a resurfacer a couple years ago, resurfaced some titles, all of them were broken after the resurfacing, followed the instructions.... luckily, they were crappy titles!

[quote name='vivafriend5']I have a better one, same pal, he has a stack of rented titles, Blockbuster, his mom grabs his newly bought Goddfellas two disc edition and sends it down the return chute, they even fought him when he went to claim it. Yeah, I always laugh with the thought of my stuff being sold for a dollar at EB if I lent it out. When you lend stuff, might as well say sayonara...[/quote]

Nah, my buddy is usually pretty good about keeping my games out of the reach of his nieces and nephews. And well, especially those three, since there are some rather objectionable parts that I don't think he'd want them hearing/seeing.

Thing is, I bought all three with the intention of playing all of them through to the end, but The Thing annoyed me with the controls and what not(much like Riddick did), so I stopped playing it. Thankfully, I only used GS credit amassed pretty cheaply to get at least 2 of those 3.

Only one I think I'd miss if it got damaged or lost is Fable.

[quote name='vivafriend5']lol, I don't dare with resurfacing, I got a resurfacer a couple years ago, resurfaced some titles, all of them were broken after the resurfacing, followed the instructions.... luckily, they were crappy titles![/quote]

Disc Doctor or Game Doctor? I know those left weird patterns on peoples discs and I've ended up buying some games with those patterns on them, but they still worked 100%.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Nah, my buddy is usually pretty good about keeping my games out of the reach of his nieces and nephews. And well, especially those three, since there are some rather objectionable parts that I don't think he'd want them hearing/seeing.

Thing is, I bought all three with the intention of playing all of them through to the end, but The Thing annoyed me with the controls and what not(much like Riddick did), so I stopped playing it. Thankfully, I only used GS credit amassed pretty cheaply to get at least 2 of those 3.

Only one I think I'd miss if it got damaged or lost is Fable.[/quote] Yeah, some titles are just, less valued after some time with them, it's hard to place a value on things though. It was a disc doctor btw, and it left a weird pattern on everything, it's manual.... not recommended!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']yeah, it looks like a wavy sort of pattern, right? I have a copy of Roll Away(an addictively fun puzzle game for PS1) which has those marks on it.[/quote] Exactly!

yea gamecube games are pretty weak with loose discs. Now times when I buy games I often give the shake test, to hear if something is inside, if it's loose it may have a few marks. BUying used games for me is a whole different case...

If Im buying from a store I always give movies and games the 'shake test' to see if the disc is loose. I also check for boxcutter slashes on the case. I wont buy a game/film if it has either of those problems. Unless of course if its impossibel to find, or its a deal too cheap to pass up.

When buying used from a store I always look at the back of the disc before I leave the store. If they have more than one used copy I have no qualms about asking for a better disc.

If your buying online its alot harder to impliment that kind of quality control. I have a couple of sealed games with the disc loose inside, and at least one game with a boxcutter slash across it. =( And buying used online... well thats a total crapshoot.

I just bought a DVD from amazon and had a loose disk problem (got really scratched from it too), they replaced the DVD quickly and I just sent the old one back, it was really easy to do and the replacement got here quickly. Amazon has good service. My point is it can happen from an online store as well as a retail store.

The shake test is probably a good idea though if your buying from a retail store. Now hopefully they will refund my return shipping charges..

bread's done
Back