Configuring Raid

If you have the money I suggest a pair or even four(for 0+1) of the 74Gb Western Digital Raptors. They tend to be considered the best.

Some more info would be nice... which RAID do you want to use? Performance or security? How much HDD space do you want?

[quote name='Vinny']Some more info would be nice... which RAID do you want to use? Performance or security? How much HDD space do you want?[/quote]

I'd probably go with security, and 100GB would be fine.

[quote name='dtarasev']If you have the money I suggest a pair or even four(for 0+1) of the 74Gb Western Digital Raptors. They tend to be considered the best.[/quote]

Holy shit, those are $154 bucks a piece. I'm not that savage. I'd like to sped around $140 for two or one. It would be nice if I could get two good ones for Raid.

Is Serial ATA the same as SATA?

That drive is fine- good cache and 7200RPM, perfect for everyday usage. Serial ATA is the same as SATA.

It's this... green goo stuff, looks kinda like Gak (remember Gak?). And that girl is Britney Spears.:)

[quote name='McPeef']Holy shit, those are $154 bucks a piece. I'm not that savage. I'd like to sped around $140 for two or one. It would be nice if I could get two good ones for Raid.

Is Serial ATA the same as SATA?[/quote]

Those are the drives people go for if they are going for performance. But for backup/security the drives you picked would work just fine.

There is no performance gain from anything less than SCSI or Raptor drives in RAID.

And with those drives you will only have 80gb if you use RAID-1. But RAID-1 is not a good way to backup, and there's a performance decrease. I suggest you do some more research...

[quote name='P0ldy']There is no performance gain from anything less than SCSI or Raptor drives in RAID.

And with those drives you will only have 80gb if you use RAID-1. But RAID-1 is not a good way to backup, and there's a performance decrease. I suggest you do some more research...[/quote]

I really don't know the differences between Raid 0/1/0+1? Is there any other Raid configurations? About the only thing I know about Raid is that it is when you hook two hdds up together, so your hard drive speed is increased.

Obviously, I don't know shit. :whistle2:s

[quote name='McPeef']I really don't know the differences between Raid 0/1/0+1? Is there any other Raid configurations? About the only thing I know about Raid is that it is when you hook two hdds up together, so your hard drive speed is increased.

Obviously, I don't know shit. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Hmm...

ok, the common forms of Raid..

Raid 0 = striped set, gives you no added security, less dependability, full use of disc space, and for these purposes faster read/write times.

Raid 1 = mirrored set, gives you no added performance but increased security and gives you half the disc space of the two hdds (basically)

Raid 5 = striped set with parity, gives you increased security and dependibility, faster read/write times (although slower then Raid 0) but basically gives you 2/3 of your total disc space.

First off, you'll need a RAID disk controller, and I'd highly suggest SCSI drives if you're going to bother. For what you're working with you'd want to go with Raid 0.

Another point, in real life, depending on the disc access occasionally raid 0 can actually give slower read times than a non-raid disk.

edit - Disclaimer.. I've been out of IT for years and haven't played with RAID since then.. so you may want to verify to make sure I remember it right.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']

edit - Disclaimer.. I've been out of IT for years and haven't played with RAID since then.. so you may want to verify to make sure I remember it right.[/quote]

Hey, thanks! This is helpful. I saw a site on this earlier today, and what you wrote is the same.

I have done a few different Raid IDE and SATA setups, overall the only thing I got out of raid was when I had IDE to small for anygood except to RAID 0 them together for one big drive. UnRaring some Big 4 gig or bigger archives maybe a bit of performance gain, but really hard to see outside of benchmarks, i still felt I was waiting for harddrive writes when the cpu wasn't hardly being peaked.

bread's done
Back