Connecting 360 to original xbox...

danny_schell

CAG Veteran
Hi, I read the faqs and everything, but I still don't understand (I'm special). My friend got a 360 and is giving me his old xbox. If I want to play Halo 1 or 2 by system link on 2 separate TV's, what is the cheapest cable I can buy to connect the two systems? Thanks a lot.

If you have a hub/switch/router, then you can use regular ethernet cables.

If you want to do a direct cable-to-cable connection, then you need to use a "crossover" ethernet cable so they can communicate to each other without anything else.

[quote name='zewone']The Premium 360 comes with an ethernet cable. That's all you need.[/quote]

Thats wrong.

[quote name='armycamel']If you have a hub/switch/router, then you can use regular ethernet cables.

If you want to do a direct cable-to-cable connection, then you need to use a "crossover" ethernet cable so they can communicate to each other without anything else.[/QUOTE]

I thought I had read somewhere that there was something special about the 360's NIC so that you didn't specifically have to have a crossover cable, and any ethernet cable would work fine. But I haven't verified.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I thought I had read somewhere that there was something special about the 360's NIC so that you didn't specifically have to have a crossover cable, and any ethernet cable would work fine. But I haven't verified.[/QUOTE]
That's what I thought.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I thought I had read somewhere that there was something special about the 360's NIC so that you didn't specifically have to have a crossover cable, and any ethernet cable would work fine. But I haven't verified.[/quote]

After doing some quick research, you are correct. So that means you should be able to use any ethernet cable to connect the Xbox 360 Xbox.

You learn something new everyday. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks to everyone who answered. I just figured since the first xbox needed crossover cables for system link, I wouldn't be able to use the plain ethernet cable that comes with the 360. I'll give it a try though.

bread's done
Back