Connection issues.

Kaoz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey all, I didn't see a thread for troubleshooting, if I am blind please point me in the right direction.

I just got a 360, (elite from warehouse deals) the other day so that I could play Reach with my brother. We are in the same house, and he has had a pro for a while. His works perfectly (WiFi adapter) while mine is having some issues (ethernet cable)

From the start, his wifi adapter won't work on my system at all. Beyond that some games are giving me issues. We tested it with 3 different games, both together online at the same time, and each system seperately. My system seems to work just fine with Halo 3 online, played about four matches, 2 alone 2 with my brother. Then we popped in Modern warfare 2. It took my console forever to find a match, I dunno whats up but I would have to leave the queue and restart my search multiple times to get a match. I also could not connect to any friends parties. Third game, Red Dead Redemption. Could not connect to this one at all.

I emailed Microsoft, and they gave me the suggestion that it may be a NAT issue, I have not tried the fixes they linked, hopefully that will work.

I did a bit of searching and was told to make sure I was on a DHCP network (I am).

Hopefully the NAT issue their customer support mentioned is what is wrong and will be a quick fix, but I wanted to post here to see if anyone here had similar issues or knew of a fix ... since I likely won't have time to get further assistance from Microsoft before Reach comes tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

You don't need to be on DHCP for a device that never leaves your home network, so if your 360 doesn't go elsewhere, put a static IP address on it.

Look into your router's documentation and figure out how to do port forwarding on it. You need to set up port forwarding to your 360 (and his 360 as well) for the following ports:
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074

Both 360s should be on static IPs and set up with port forwarding for both IP addresses. This will fix the NAT issue you're running into.

[quote name='shrike4242']You don't need to be on DHCP for a device that never leaves your home network, so if your 360 doesn't go elsewhere, put a static IP address on it.

Look into your router's documentation and figure out how to do port forwarding on it. You need to set up port forwarding to your 360 (and his 360 as well) for the following ports:
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074

Both 360s should be on static IPs and set up with port forwarding for both IP addresses. This will fix the NAT issue you're running into.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, will set it up asap.

[quote name='shrike4242']You don't need to be on DHCP for a device that never leaves your home network, so if your 360 doesn't go elsewhere, put a static IP address on it.

UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074

Both 360s should be on static IPs and set up with port forwarding for both IP addresses. This will fix the NAT issue you're running into.[/QUOTE]

Well, you can have DHCP in a home LAN if you want. I do and everything works just fine. I think that either his NAT is not allowing things and the port forwarding suggestion is brilliant. You could also place the 360 in the DMZ in your wireless router's settings. This will place the 360 on the "outside" of the network, beyond the security and firewall of your router. Since the 360 does not get viruses, this is ok and will not harm anything.

You can check your NAT settings 2 ways: Test Xbox Live in the Networking section on the console itself. Or you could pop in Modern Warfare 2, go to Xbox Live, and it should tell you the NAT type on the left hand side. Anything besides "Open" needs to be fixed.

The only other thing I can think of is your NIC (where you plug in the internet cable on the 360) is somehow bad, but I doubt it because it also doesn't work with the wireless adapter.

So things to try:

1.) Open the ports, or set up port forwarding, on the router.

2.) If #1 does not work, place the 360 in the DMZ on your router.

3.) Try a different ethernet cable.

Hope that helps!

UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074

This worked perfect, thanks a ton!

[quote name='Pck21']Well, you can have DHCP in a home LAN if you want. I do and everything works just fine. I think that either his NAT is not allowing things and the port forwarding suggestion is brilliant. You could also place the 360 in the DMZ in your wireless router's settings. This will place the 360 on the "outside" of the network, beyond the security and firewall of your router. Since the 360 does not get viruses, this is ok and will not harm anything.

You can check your NAT settings 2 ways: Test Xbox Live in the Networking section on the console itself. Or you could pop in Modern Warfare 2, go to Xbox Live, and it should tell you the NAT type on the left hand side. Anything besides "Open" needs to be fixed.

The only other thing I can think of is your NIC (where you plug in the internet cable on the 360) is somehow bad, but I doubt it because it also doesn't work with the wireless adapter.

So things to try:

1.) Open the ports, or set up port forwarding, on the router.

2.) If #1 does not work, place the 360 in the DMZ on your router.

3.) Try a different ethernet cable.

Hope that helps![/QUOTE]My thought is that if it doesn't leave my home network (TVs, DVRs, printers, desktops, game consoles, etc.), it doesn't need a DHCP-provided IP address and gets a static IP address. That is, when it's possible (Wii and XA-2 HD-DVD player, I'm looking at you). Anything else, it's on DHCP.

A defective Ethernet cable could be the issue, though when he tried the WiFi adapter from the other 360 at the house, it didn't work either.

Could also be a defective 360 as well, if the system board on it is bad.

DMZ works as option, though only for one console.

bread's done
Back