Connection issues

coolbrys

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
My friend called me up, hoping that I could fix his computer. Basically, with no spyware/adware/virus protection while running programs like Limewire, it was getting awfully slow and popups everywhere, freezing all the time. Since he had had it this way for about a year, I was glad to help try and get it working smoothly again. I removed all the spyware and adware I could, and when I restarted it again to see how much it worked, the internet connection told me that it now had "limited or no connection" to the internet.

Looking at this problem, I could see that the modem and the computer itself were having connection problems. While the computer could get it's IP address, it could not aquire its default gateway, making any connection to the internet impossible. This must have something to do with spyware that I took off, but I have searched online and have found nothing. Is there anything that anybody knows that I could do (save formatting the computer) to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='coolbrys']My friend called me up, hoping that I could fix his computer. Basically, with no spyware/adware/virus protection while running programs like Limewire, it was getting awfully slow and popups everywhere, freezing all the time. Since he had had it this way for about a year, I was glad to help try and get it working smoothly again. I removed all the spyware and adware I could, and when I restarted it again to see how much it worked, the internet connection told me that it now had "limited or no connection" to the internet.

Looking at this problem, I could see that the modem and the computer itself were having connection problems. While the computer could get it's IP address, it could not aquire its default gateway, making any connection to the internet impossible. This must have something to do with spyware that I took off, but I have searched online and have found nothing. Is there anything that anybody knows that I could do (save formatting the computer) to fix this?

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Try downloading and running winsockfix from http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

That happened to me and I just ended up reformatting. If that doesn't work try calling his IP.

bread's done
Back