Considering getting a Vita

Klawd

CAGiversary!
Hey guys,

I am really considering purchasing a Vita with a year of PS+ for $300.  

I just have a few questions really.  What are the most popular games on the PS Vita?  Do you really enjoy your vita?  Are you all expecting a price drop here soon, should I wait to buy one?  Am I making a mistake?  Any recommendations?

And then I have a few specific questions.  With the Sly 4 and the cross save features, I believe the trophies I earn on the Vita will also be shown on my PS3, but how about with the HD collection of Metal Gear Solid and Jak and Daxter.  I believe MGS and Jak do not offer cross save, but are the trophies the same and would I have to earn the same trophies twice?

Thanks for your time and help guys!

--Claude

The Vita is a great handheld (I just got mine yesterday, but for a steal of a price).

PS+ is almost a necessity, it truly is a great value. The only thing that kind of kills the Vita is the memory card prices, does the PS+ bundle come with one?

As for trophies, the only cross game I have is Sony Smash Bros, which has cross saves via the cloud or something idk (it did it on its own), but trophies are unlocked in each game (same trophies, two lists, so you can get everything twice essentially). I wanna say MGS is the same way but I can't guarantee that. The only game I know of that shares trophies is Retro City Rampage (at least I'm pretty sure about this).

Hope this helps!

The Vita is a great handheld (I just got mine yesterday, but for a steal of a price).

PS+ is almost a necessity, it truly is a great value. The only thing that kind of kills the Vita is the memory card prices, does the PS+ bundle come with one?

As for trophies, the only cross game I have is Sony Smash Bros, which has cross saves via the cloud or something idk (it did it on its own), but trophies are unlocked in each game (same trophies, two lists, so you can get everything twice essentially). I wanna say MGS is the same way but I can't guarantee that. The only game I know of that shares trophies is Retro City Rampage (at least I'm pretty sure about this).

Hope this helps!
The bundle comes with a 4gb stick, not great but it is something at least. And thanks for the information about being able to get the trophies twice. Not really sure how I feel about that. Pretty cool for the trophy desire side of me, but sucks when I think of trying to platinum difficult games twice lol. Thanks for the information Aggro!

With PS+ and a Vita, you'll want a bigger memory card than 4gb.  I would recommend a minimum of 16gb; go with the 32gb if you can afford it.  I started my PS+ subscription two Aprils ago and make sure to "buy" anything that would run on it, from minis to PS1/2 games, and eventually Vita-specific titles.  My 4gb card is maxed out with all the minis and my 32gb is also maxed.  I had to delete a few PS1 classics to make room for everything.

You can certainly get away with a 16gb card or even an 8gb, but you'll have to do a lot of re-downloading if you're the type that can't stick to just a few games at a time.

Any plans to eventually get a PS4, OP?  The planned remote play compatibility with nearly every title was a major factor in my decision to preorder one.

Hey guys,

I am really considering purchasing a Vita with a year of PS+ for $300.

I just have a few questions really. What are the most popular games on the PS Vita? Do you really enjoy your vita? Are you all expecting a price drop here soon, should I wait to buy one? Am I making a mistake? Any recommendations?

And then I have a few specific questions. With the Sly 4 and the cross save features, I believe the trophies I earn on the Vita will also be shown on my PS3, but how about with the HD collection of Metal Gear Solid and Jak and Daxter. I believe MGS and Jak do not offer cross save, but are the trophies the same and would I have to earn the same trophies twice?

Thanks for your time and help guys!

--Claude
Most popular? Soul Sacrifice.

Do I enjoy it? Yes. Very much so! Many great games, which is all that matters to me.

Price Drop? If it wasn't revealed at E3, then it's very unlikely.

Mistake? It's a solid system, though there will always be people telling you it is and isn't.

Depends the game, but Sly shares a trophy list. Some games instantly give you whatever you earn, other games let you use the progress and others don't give you anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
With PS+ and a Vita, you'll want a bigger memory card than 4gb. I would recommend a minimum of 16gb; go with the 32gb if you can afford it. I started my PS+ subscription two Aprils ago and make sure to "buy" anything that would run on it, from minis to PS1/2 games, and eventually Vita-specific titles. My 4gb card is maxed out with all the minis and my 32gb is also maxed. I had to delete a few PS1 classics to make room for everything.

You can certainly get away with a 16gb card or even an 8gb, but you'll have to do a lot of re-downloading if you're the type that can't stick to just a few games at a time.

Any plans to eventually get a PS4, OP? The planned remote play compatibility with nearly every title was a major factor in my decision to preorder one.
Whoops, I meant to include that information in the main post. Yeah, I have the PS4/Watch Dogs launch edition preordered. The remote play is one of the main factors that I am looking into the Vita now.

Are there any places that usually has deals either on the vita or on memory sticks? I would love the 32gb, but the price tag really blows...

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate the information!

So far my honest opinion is No, Wait for the PS4 to come out, I'm partially seeing a price drop when the PS4 comes out, because Sony has stated that they are FORCING PS4 game devs to implement Remote Play into their PS4 titles releases.

I'm guessing Sony will want to bump up the sales of Vitas to encourage Game Devs to implement the Remote Play.

That and....

I have one and so far the only games I got for it are Gravity Rush (before the Free PS+) Ninja Gaiden Sigma (beat it on the PS3, no trophies so I HAD to get it for the Vita to get that "you beat the game" trophy. the NGS series is just one of those games that means a lot more than many other games to get trophies for) and Soul Sacrifice by far the best Vita to date IMO.

ANDDDDD I mostly only find myself playing a ton of PS1 classics that I was too poor to buy when I was a kid. =P 

Thats it. I have a 3DS and a(3) PSP and I have a TON more games on them just because they carry more of my interested games than the Vita library. =(

I bought the Vita for $250 and a $99 32GB card because I was all in the Hype about how awesome the vita was and the fact that almost all the games will be digital, I hate Discs, Im sorry but the future is now, we dont need to be using Disc trays/slots or game cartridges.

Whoops, I meant to include that information in the main post. Yeah, I have the PS4/Watch Dogs launch edition preordered. The remote play is one of the main factors that I am looking into the Vita now.

Are there any places that usually has deals either on the vita or on memory sticks? I would love the 32gb, but the price tag really blows...

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate the information!
Sweet, I know I'm pumped to see what Battlefield 4 will be like on a Vita (I'm hoping it'll be compatible... it should be). I have that bundle preordered and will get either Watch Dogs or Killzone as a second launch title.

As far as "deals" for memory cards, they do pop up occasionally but stock sells fast. I paid $80 for a 32gb card at Best Buy back around February. I would recommend checking in on Amazon Warehouse Deals as often as you can tolerate as it seems like a few people have success with grabbing them at good prices.

I got my Vita during the Black Friday sale for $180. It was the white ACIII Liberation bundle which came with a  4gb card, download copy of Battle Royal Vita and 3 months of PS+. I love the system. It's one of the best handhelds I ever had. The best game I played was Persona 4 Golden. PS+ is a must have. A lot of free games and sales. I would say wait for a price drop or decent sale. If you want used, Cowboom seems to be a good site for used Vitas on the cheap. Amazon Warehouse Deals also have good prices on used Vitas and memory cards. The 4 gb is terrible. Your best bet is to get a 16 or 32GB. I got a 16GB at Best Buy for $30 a few months ago. 32GB is currently $85/80 right now on Amazon and other sites.

bread's done
Back