Contemplating Buying Shantae

ducksoda7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
80 (100%)
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place, but I found a copy of Shantae on Kijiji for $80. The game is cart only and I was wondering if it's still a good deal. Thoughts?

This game is being actively pursued for the virtual console, if it isn't there already, I am not sure as the information I found on it may be outdated. Overall I would wait for that release if you want to play it as $80 is a lot for a single cart game especially if you already have a 3DS or DSi, not sure which console it is on.

If you just want to play it, then there are... cheaper (as in free) ways to do that.

Shantae has its charm but it's not worth $80 for just the cart.

Thanks guys. I decided to buy it anyways since it's still probably going to be the best price I can get for it, especially locally.

[quote name='ducksoda7']Thanks guys. I decided to buy it anyways since it's still probably going to be the best price I can get for it, especially locally.[/QUOTE]

I've seen shantae at a mom and pop for like $55 cart only. Although, that was about 2 years ago. Maybe you aren't just looking in the right place. My rule is if the games popular, get it. If it's rare, wait for a remake/port to come out, then get it. If it's rare AND popular (Conker's Bad Fur Day) Good Luck.

EDIT: I just checked and I saw the game right before a huge price hike on the game, when it was in a $80ish range. I'd say get it, then a box separately.

[quote name='ryuk1214']I just checked and I saw the game right before a huge price hike on the game, when it was in a $80ish range. I'd say get it, then a box separately.[/QUOTE]
Funny how things change so drastically in just a few short years. I think there was a time where it was hovering around the $30 mark back in 07/08. Should've bought it then. Oh well, I don't think $80 is too bad. It's still less than what the game's worth.

Yeah $80 for a cart only copy isn't a bad deal vs market value, I recently sold my copy for like $130 or something like that on Ebay.

This game was on clearance for 3.99 or something ridiculous at Toys R Us at one point when they were clearancing all their GBC stuff, I got a copy there then flipped it for $30-50 or something on ebay. Its not really that great of a game as its a gameboy color game... The game isn't worth $80-150 if you just want to play it, trust me on that one.

[quote name='SaraAB']This game was on clearance for 3.99 or something ridiculous at Toys R Us at one point when they were clearancing all their GBC stuff, I got a copy there then flipped it for $30-50 or something on ebay. Its not really that great of a game as its a gameboy color game... The game isn't worth $80-150 if you just want to play it, trust me on that one.[/QUOTE]

Man, I remember passing on a bunch of N64 and PS1 games TRU. Tons of Majora's Mask, Mario Party 3, and Perfect Dark for $10... nah, those games are never gonna be worth anything.

And Shantae is a game you won't enjoy unless you played it back in the day. The graphics were amazing at the time and the game had an undeniable charm to it. But compared to modern platformers, it's design is fairly flawed.

The actual cart will always retain value, but I do expect to see it on 3ds virtual console eventually.

I hope ninja five o shows up there too someday.

[quote name='Vinny']Man, I remember passing on a bunch of N64 and PS1 games TRU. Tons of Majora's Mask, Mario Party 3, and Perfect Dark for $10... nah, those games are never gonna be worth anything.

And Shantae is a game you won't enjoy unless you played it back in the day. The graphics were amazing at the time and the game had an undeniable charm to it. But compared to modern platformers, it's design is fairly flawed.[/QUOTE]
I didn't really get it to play, just to collect. I did play it for about five minutes though. It's decent, but I hate how you have to attack before you can run.

[quote name='Vinny']Man, I remember passing on a bunch of N64 and PS1 games TRU. Tons of Majora's Mask, Mario Party 3, and Perfect Dark for $10... nah, those games are never gonna be worth anything.

And Shantae is a game you won't enjoy unless you played it back in the day. The graphics were amazing at the time and the game had an undeniable charm to it. But compared to modern platformers, it's design is fairly flawed.[/QUOTE]

My TRU never had anything that good, but I did get a lot of $10 games in the past, but nothing like $10 Mario's or $10 Majora's Masks. I did see a ton of Conker's though for N64, some stores here had shelves full of just that one game (shame I didn't pick up a copy). They did have a lot of good GBC clearance though, and for very cheap prices. Even the Pokemon games complete in box are now fetching more than what they originally sold for... and I have most of them complete in box.

The graphics were good for Shantae on the GBC but if you are used to playing modern games then it is not going to seem as good, so you hit the nail on the head there. Its not something that I would pay $80 for that's for sure.

I bought it from $7.48 at TRU years ago, unfortunately I threw out the box and manual. If I had only known it would become so valuable.

bread's done
Back