Contest Cancelled. Nothing to see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danimal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Hey All.

I've been trying to think of a way to run a baseball themed contest similar to the annual NFL Knockout Pool (check back for that one in late August by the way)  This contest will be a weekly knockout style pool that will begin with the week starting Sunday, July 16th, and will go until we have a winner.  To enter, you must have your picks for next week in before the first game begins on Sunday, July 16th.  You must enter before the deadline to take part in this contest.

Here's how it works:  Each week, you will pick 4 players, one for each of 4 different days in the coming week.  You can only pick a player once.  After you've picked a player, he is no longer available to you for the rest of the season.  As long as at least one of your players gets a hit, you stay alive into the next week.  They must get a hit on the day you pick them for.  If none of your players gets a basehit on the day you've chosen them for in a given week, you're out.  You MUST specify the date you're picking each player for in the coming week.

Sample entry:  Week 1:  1, (7/16) Joey Votto (CIN)  2. (7/18) Aaron Judge (NYY)  3. (7/19) Dustin Pedroia (BOS)  4. (7/21) Andrew McCutchen (PIT)

There are 11 weeks left in the MLB schedule, so if you make it to the end of the season, you'll eventually use 44 different players.  You'll need to decide whether to load up your early picks with All Stars to give you the best chance to stay alive, or space them out to have viable options late in the season.  Of course, you need stay alive in the pool late into the season for that to matter....

What can you win?  The winner will get their choice of a $20 MS card or a $20 PS card.  I'd love to offer a bigger prize, but it's tough financial times in the Danimal household at the moment.  Plus, this is sort of a test run contest.  If a lot of people are interested and take part in this, maybe it will come back bigger and better next April.

What if I pick a guy who gets rained out, or is injured, or is given the day off or his team has an off day on the day I pick him?  Oops, tough break.  Hope one of your other guys comes through.

Tie Breaker:  If we get to the end of the season with multiple people still alive, the winner will be the CAG whose picks collected the most total hits on the days you picked them for.  For example, from the sample entry above, let's say Votto goes 0 for 4 on the 16th, Judge goes 2 for 5 on the 18th, Pedroia goes 1 for 4 on the 19th, and McCutchen goes 2 for 4 on the 21st.  You'd have 5 hits added to your tiebreaker total.  If that doesn't give us a single winner, I'll draw a winner from the group that's left.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for coming up with this game for us CAGs.  Will have to put some thought into my selections.  I'm mainly familiar with one team . . .   

Thanks for coming up with this game for us CAGs. Will have to put some thought into my selections. I'm mainly familiar with one team . . .
I appreciate you and pitfallharry219 posting in the thread expressing interest in the contest; it's been met mostly with the sounds of crickets chirping since I posted it the other night. I think at one point yesterday morning, a tumbleweed actually blew through here. I thought it might be a fun thing to do, but right now this contest is teetering on the edge of being cancelled due to lack of interest. If only 2 or 3 or 5 or 10 (at this point, even 10 seems like a longshot) people want to enter, that doesn't feel like a contest to me. We'll see, I'll give it another 24 hours and see if it picks up any steam.

In the meantime, while I too am mostly familiar with the Red Sox, mlb.com has a sortable stats page listing league leaders that you can set to show you who has the most hits, giving you plenty of options for players to pick (Just make sure they have a game scheduled for whatever day you pick them for)

Clearly, this contest was D.O.A. :fridge:    Contest is cancelled.  I'm locking the thread.  :speaktothehand:  :whistle2:(

My apologies to the three of you who expressed interest and posted in the thread, but when you hold a contest and two and a half days later no one has entered, it's time to sweep up, turn out the lights, and pack it in.

I'll be running an NFL Knockout Pool contest with the thread starting a week or two before the NFL season begins.  With a much better prize.  If you're interested, keep checking the contest forums from mid to late August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back