Convince me not to buy the Samsung LN32B360 32" 720p HDTV

evanft

CAGiversary!
Feedback
68 (100%)
I'm lookin' to finally get an HDTV, and this one seems like the top contender. It's only $444 on Amazon, seems to be rated very highly, and generally has the features I want. 32" is the biggest I could reasonably fit in my room, so 1080p is really not going to be worth the extra $100 or more.

If anyone has a reason why I shouldn't get this TV, besides the fact that prices always drop, I'm listening. The price is exactly what I want to pay.

you don't really need a new tv

get a cheap lcd monitor if you really want hd since it sounds like your room is small anyway if a 32in is all you can fit

That amount of money could feed starving 24 kids in Ethiopia for a 3 years, but you go on ahead and enjoy your HD gaming.

Otherwise, Samsungs are continually rated fairly highly. Go for it... if you don't mind killing kids.

Size. I bought a 50" tv a couple years ago and it could be a bit bigger.

Unless you're sitting very close to it, 32" is pretty small. Plenty of people are fine with that size TV, but if you're looking for reasons not to buy, size is one. One of the biggest regrets people seem to have with TVs is wishing they'd saved up and bought a bigger one.

Of course, your budget and lifestyle matter too. If you're a college student on a tight budget and will be putting it in a dorm room or small apartment, moving every year etc. then a smaller TV makes more sense than if you're more settled down etc.

Actually, a 32" may be too big for my room after doing some quick measurements. I think a 26" would fit perfectly. The Samsung LN26B460 or LN26B360 look good. The only difference between the two seems to be about $60 and 1 HDMI port.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='evanft']Actually, a 32" may be too big for my room after doing some quick measurements. I think a 26" would fit perfectly. The Samsung LN26B460 or LN26B360 look good. The only difference between the two seems to be about $60 and 1 HDMI port.[/QUOTE]

Are you in a jail cell? That's the only way I can imagine a 32" being too big for a bedroom.

[quote name='Sporadic']Are you in a jail cell? That's the only way I can imagine a 32" being too big for a bedroom.[/QUOTE]

I'm using a 20" CRT right now, and the screen height is right where I want it. A 26" HDTV is slightly taller and would fit much better. The 32" would really just be too big.

The problem is that the TV's that tend to go on sale aren't the Samsungs, LG's, or Panasonics, but the Olevias, Insignias, etc., so I doubt I'll really be able to get something better.

Just buy it. I did this dance, every day putting a TV in my Amazon shopping cart, but never having the balls to pull the trigger, waiting for pricedrops, etc. One day I just did it.

Keep in mind a 26" 16:9 TV will probably look smaller than your 20" 4:3 CRT. I'd bump it up and get a 32". Preferably a Samsung that offers the "True Black" (or whatever the fuck they call it now) feature. You want a HDTV that gets the inkiest blacks possible.

Don't wait for Black Friday. Most of the TV's they offer are total shit, and the decent ones are still cheaper on Amazon.

EDIT: Nevermind, seems you already opted for a 32"

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Just buy it. I did this dance, every day putting a TV in my Amazon shopping cart, but never having the balls to pull the trigger, waiting for pricedrops, etc. One day I just did it.

Keep in mind a 26" 16:9 TV will probably look smaller than your 20" 4:3 CRT. I'd bump it up and get a 32". Preferably a Samsung that offers the "True Black" (or whatever the fuck they call it now) feature. You want a HDTV that gets the inkiest blacks possible.

Don't wait for Black Friday. Most of the TV's they offer are total shit, and the decent ones are still cheaper on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I actually did the math. A 26" HDTV screen would really be slightly taller than a 20" CRT screen.

Oh, and if I were you, I'd at least spring for at least a 3 year extended warranty bought off Amazon. You can cancel anytime and get a partial refund if you decide you don't want it, but it's good to have considering LCD TVs can be fickle. Really not necessary unless you're getting a 40"+ TV costing a couple grand, but I'd still consider it.

[quote name='Rocko']Send a private message to DrMarioKart. He'll set you straight.[/QUOTE]
well I mean, I cant really argue against a specific model :roll:

Your thread at the avsforums should be more than enough to make your decision on.

If you want a 26" set, look up the Samsung T260HD. It runs about $300-$350, offers 1080p because it's used as a monitor but also comes with a TV tuner and multiple connection choices. When I decide HD is worth it I'm probably going for one of these myself. I consider anything over that size to be stupidly large unless you can't see. My current TV is only 13" and it's just fine for me (it's a Samsung GXTV, not a common item to find and it still works great). Yes, it's for a bedroom where I do all my gaming and it's right next to my PC.

[quote name='evanft']I'm using a 20" CRT right now, and the screen height is right where I want it. A 26" HDTV is slightly taller and would fit much better. The 32" would really just be too big.[/QUOTE]

You mean a bigger TV won't fit in your current TV stand or whatever?

Or you think you'd be sitting too close to it?

I sit about 9 feet from my 50" TV. It looked huge for a month or so, but I got used to it and now it looks a bit small and I'd go bigger next time unless I move to a place with a smaller living room and sit closer.

[quote name='dmaul1114']You mean a bigger TV won't fit in your current TV stand or whatever?

Or you think you'd be sitting too close to it?

I sit about 9 feet from my 50" TV. It looked huge for a month or so, but I got used to it and now it looks a bit small and I'd go bigger next time unless I move to a place with a smaller living room and sit closer.[/QUOTE]

I mean that the 26" HDTV screen will be the size of my 20" CRT, but wider and slightly taller.

I sit around 3 feet away.

Yeah, at that distance you'll be fine. 32" would be ok at that distance too though.

The next key question is how long you'll be using it. 26" becomes pretty useless once you move to a bigger place and have to sit further away. Though it could still be a small bedroom TV or something. Just something else to consider.

You are right on the screen size--26" wide screen is equivalent to 21" 4:3 tv for non-wide screen content--and will be better for widescreen content where your 20" 4:3 tv gives you 18" for widescreen stuff.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7608_7-1016109-4.html#calculator

bread's done
Back