Convince me! Should I get, or should I NOT get a PS3

Nutts

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
Ok, I've heard a lot of bad things about the PS3, but I wanted to get everyones general opinion on the matter.

Here's the deal. I will eventually get a PS3, I always do. I have just about every system that was released with any kind of following in the US. However, this is the first time I really don't see much advantage in getting one now. I still however, have the craving for one, mainly because it's new. So here is my situation, let me know if you think I should try to get one now, wait patiently until I natually find one, or wait a year + or more to see if the Playstation hayday is over, and perhaps pick up the system after a redesign or price drop.

First, I currently play on regular basis an Xbox 360 and a Wii. So "needing" a next gen console is not much of an issue.

Second. I have a 60" Sony XBR2 LCOS TV. So I don't really care about the fact that Sony has screwed over owners of Old HD TVs. If there is one TV that should work with the PS3, I would think this would be it.

Third I have the Xbox HD-DVD drive, so I have a couple HD Movies which look great on my TV. Granted it's just 1080i, until my new reciever arrives which should take the 1080P signal through component cables and output it to HDMI so my TV will display the 1080P.
The question here is how does Blue Ray really compare to HD-DVD.
Or how does 1080P really fair against 1080i given the TV that I have.

Fourth. $600 + HDMI cable, Plus 3 controllers, plus a game or two, isn't too much of a problem for me, though it does seem more expensive since I already have the 360 and Wii. I'm past my college poor days, however, I am a member here because I like a deal, and I know in the next year I should be able to save at least a $100 on a system by waiting for the right deal/rebate.

Fifth. Well, I pretty much have no interest in the 20GB version, because I need the Wi Fi, and like I said, I have the 1080P TV, so I'd like to get the HDMI output.

So what do you who already have, or don't want a PS3 think. I guess your not convincing me to get one or not, but rather WHEN should I bother getting one?

Yeah, wait a bit. Let the inevitable kinks get worked out of the systems through the firmware updates/recalls then get one.

[quote name='whoknows']I'd say around February-March: http://ps3.ign.com/index/release.html

BTW 20 GB does have the HDMI output, but like you said...you need the wi-fi.[/quote]

Ohh Yeah, I forgot they added that back in at the last minute. I also wouldn't mind having the larger HD, since my 360 HD is constantly full.

I would wait, only to have them work out the kinks. I waited on getting a 360 and found none of the problems others complained about the past year. Even six months should alleviate a lot of production problems and get you a much nicer updated firmware ready and waiting. Especially, I think, since the PS3 lineup is fairly anemic at the moment and you're not missing much since you have the other two consoles. I'm in a similar position, and I'm in no hurry till the big name exclusives start coming out.

ok so, i happen to actually own and play my 60gb ps3 version and will try to answer your questions....

personally i have had.. ZERO problems with my machine, now ok yes, maybe i could just be one of thoes lucky people i cant say for sure... but i just have resisitance fall of man, and 2 ps2 games i play.

i would go for the 60gb becuase the wifi is a life saver

also you said something about 1080p on component cables and i was under the impression that component cables could only support up to 1080i...

i have the blu ray movie that came with it, taladaga nights.. and to be honest, i think most blu ray movies look better than HD dvds..but again this is my opinion...

the launch game selection just utterly sucked a little of both of my nuts... resisitance kicked ass.. and then that was that... actually one of the nba games got a good review and others got decent.. but still the suck if you ask me...

march is when the system killers come out for sure.... but honestly if you can have fun with ps2 and xbox and wii for nwo, try waiting until next year and they may by then fix some hardware bugs on the system itself and you could have a better system than us who have it now :)

but again i have encountered zero bugs thus far and am happy with my system..... just dont keep it in a glass case and it wont overheat.. * bonk*

i have a 40 in samsung lcd 1080p, and i have to say.. playing with hdmi vs composite is a HUGE difference... if you dont have an HDTV, i would say in your position to not bother with ps3, but you mentioned you have the Xbr2 DLP ( nice choice by the way, that was on my list... how is it by the way? any complaints? )

all in all my only complaint is waiting for more games but from the previews i have seen... its lookin promising if you can wait 3-4 months :applause:

Well, you bring up a lot of valid and should I say logical points. But there is always that little irrational part of me that wants a PS3 just because it's new and shiny :) Still, let me get to some of your comments.

[quote name='tothjm']ok so, i happen to actually own and play my 60gb ps3 version and will try to answer your questions....

personally i have had.. ZERO problems with my machine, now ok yes, maybe i could just be one of thoes lucky people i cant say for sure... but i just have resisitance fall of man, and 2 ps2 games i play.
[/quote]

While overheating, poor launch construction is a concern, I would probably only buy a PS3 from best buy where I can get a replacement plan in case it breaks. Still I have a launch day 360 and I've had early PS2, PS1 units and have been lucky not to run into problems with those. I'd be more worried about, Sony adding in some feature to the machine later. Like adding Wi-fi to the cheaper unit (highly doubt that would happen, but they added the HDMI back which was a major point to a lot of people)

[quote name='tothjm']
i would go for the 60gb becuase the wifi is a life saver

also you said something about 1080p on component cables and i was under the impression that component cables could only support up to 1080i...
[/quote]
Well I'm no expert on the component cables, but from what I've been hearing in other forums, is that the component cable can produce 1080P, but no TV's accept 1080P through a component. And the only way to get 1080P through a component is to have a high end audio reciever which will take the 1080P signal and pass it through to an HDMI output. I will have a receiver that does that, but I'm unsure as to wether the 360 outputs true 1080P, or if it upconverts it, or what.

[quote name='tothjm']
i have the blu ray movie that came with it, taladaga nights.. and to be honest, i think most blu ray movies look better than HD dvds..but again this is my opinion...
[/quote]
This is probably my biggest curiosity right now which is what is pushing me to get a PS3. If I just had my old Samsung DLP, I may not care since it doesn't have 1080P.

[quote name='tothjm']
the launch game selection just utterly sucked a little of both of my nuts... resisitance kicked ass.. and then that was that... actually one of the nba games got a good review and others got decent.. but still the suck if you ask me...

march is when the system killers come out for sure.... but honestly if you can have fun with ps2 and xbox and wii for nwo, try waiting until next year and they may by then fix some hardware bugs on the system itself and you could have a better system than us who have it now :)
[/quote]
This is what the logical side of my brain says.

[quote name='tothjm']
but again i have encountered zero bugs thus far and am happy with my system..... just dont keep it in a glass case and it wont overheat.. * bonk*

i have a 40 in samsung lcd 1080p, and i have to say.. playing with hdmi vs composite is a HUGE difference... if you dont have an HDTV, i would say in your position to not bother with ps3, but you mentioned you have the Xbr2 DLP ( nice choice by the way, that was on my list... how is it by the way? any complaints? )
[/quote]
Well, yes I did have a complaint. Well more of an unfortunate event. The TV worked for a week before it had overheating issues. Now it's brand new and all that, but I still never really heard of anyone else with this TV having this issue. But it was obviously a fan issue. The fan was not spinning fast enough and was making a slight noise, then after a few hours it would turn off. It was under manufacturer's warrenty, so I had a company come out and fix it and now it is all better, but I got a bum fan which took about a week to get since the part was on back order. Still the picture is awesome and the TV is a lot nicer with the inputs (3 1080P HDMI, 2 component). I had a 50" Samsung DLP before, and it was great, still the picture on the Sony looks a little better for some reason I don't really know. Maybe it's just the higher native resolution? Unfortunatly though the TV has a VGA input, but it's a lot crappier than it should be. It's not full screen and won't do the 1920X1080 full 1080P resolution. So even though I tried to run my Xbox though the VGA adapter, the best resolution I could set it to was the 1374 X 768 or something. So the 360 looks a ton better in 1080i through component than it did through the VGA. Oh well. A PC might look pretty good hooked up to it though.

[quote name='tothjm']
all in all my only complaint is waiting for more games but from the previews i have seen... its lookin promising if you can wait 3-4 months :applause:[/quote]

Thanks for the comments.

[quote name='Nutts']Well, you bring up a lot of valid and should I say logical points. But there is always that little irrational part of me that wants a PS3 just because it's new and shiny :)
[/quote]
I also have a 360 and a Wii and I also had an irrational desire for a PS3. I found myself spending way too much time trying figure out how to get one locally. I decided that it would be better to go ahead and get it even though the launch titles aren't fabulous, because otherwise I'd feel obligated to keep checking the message boards for hints about new shipments and check every time I went shopping. Mine hasn't come yet, but it should soon.

Like adding Wi-fi to the cheaper unit (highly doubt that would happen, but they added the HDMI back which was a major point to a lot of people)
Technically they didn't add it, since as far as I know the 20GB model without HDMI was never actually produced. If I had to guess, I would say that in a couple of years they might consolidate the two models, but aside from that, I don' t know.

Well I'm no expert on the component cables, but from what I've been hearing in other forums, is that the component cable can produce 1080P, but no TV's accept 1080P through a component.
There are some TVs that will accept 1080p over component, but most won't.

[quote name='icruise']I also have a 360 and a Wii and I also had an irrational desire for a PS3. I found myself spending way too much time trying figure out how to get one locally. [/quote]
Yes, that's what I'm finding. I logically don't need one. I tell myself that it's better to just wait, I won't be bored. But yet I still go to Target, or Best Buy or Curcuit City at lunch, partially out of boredome, partially looking for some extra wiimotes, but also with the thought that I *might* luck into a PS3 find. So even with that I feel like I'm spending too much effort with just the thought of possibly getting a PS3, that I know I'll hook up play a DVD and one of the games, say "cool" and then go back to playing my backlog of 360 games.

[quote name='icruise']I
Technically they didn't add it, since as far as I know the 20GB model without HDMI was never actually produced. If I had to guess, I would say that in a couple of years they might consolidate the two models, but aside from that, I don' t know.
[/quote]

That's true. I just meant add it to the specs. Until then I had 0% interest in the smaller PS3, now it's just an issue of the Wi Fi which I find is important enough to probably still go with the larger unit. However, if they were to come out with an add on Wi Fi adapter like 360 or something. And it was less than 100 bucks, I'd have something else to debate.

If you just need wi-fi and don't care about the PSP connection through wi-fi, you can easily get one of those Logitech game adapters (essentially a device that converts wi-fi to ethernet). At the moment, only the 60GB seems to be able to use the PSP "remote play" feature, but I think that will change because Sony is saying that they're going to make it so that the PSP can access your PS3 from ANY wi-fi connection over the internet.

I would say go ahead and pick one up. I'm loving mine. I have had zero problems so far, and it gets tons of use. Im addicted to playing Resistance online (I personally think its better than Gears of War), and someone usually watches a blu ray movie on it once a day in my house.

there was another thread about next firmware update going to make dvd playback upscale... ( not sure about ps1 and ps2 game upscaling yet tho ) so just another little nic thing if you have a super collection of dvds already... *shrug*

Why should we convince you either way?

Are there games you want to play for it now? Do you have money for both the PS3 and any games you want right now?

I'm going to wait at least until March when the good games are coming out. Right now there is only one game worth playing, everything I already played it on the 360. If you don't have a 360, it's a no brainer and get it now.

Yesterday I was at Best Buy and when I was coming in, I saw around 5 people carrying PS3 boxes around the store, they just received around 25 pieces. I almost got one on impulse, but I decided to wait ... I'm so proud of myself :cry:

[quote name='Sh0k']I'm going to wait at least until March when the good games are coming out. Right now there is only one game worth playing, everything I already played it on the 360. If you don't have a 360, it's a no brainer and get it now.

Yesterday I was at Best Buy and when I was coming in, I saw around 5 people carrying PS3 boxes around the store, they just received around 25 pieces. I almost got one on impulse, but I decided to wait ... I'm so proud of myself :cry:[/quote]
Wow, that was impressive. I'm not sure if I could do that. That's why I started this thread. My head also tells me to wait until spring, when the system is more stable and some of the nice upgrades to the firmware have already been made. And some of the better looking games come out.

[quote name='tothjm']there was another thread about next firmware update going to make dvd playback upscale... ( not sure about ps1 and ps2 game upscaling yet tho ) so just another little nic thing if you have a super collection of dvds already... *shrug*[/quote]

That's very interesting. I did not know this. If that happens then my interest will go up a lot more. That would probably make it worthwile even if there aren't many great games out for it yet.

I'd hold off until holiday season 2007 to buy a PS3. 360 is bound to drop in price in 2007 which most likely means there will be a PS3 pricedrop. The kinks will be worked out hopefully by then. The system will have some "real" must have games then as well.

mainly i made a rush to get mine first day cuz i feared no more shipments til march.... but there seem to be steady shipments now....

anyway.. if you are ok with wii and 360 games... just wait til you hear about any hardware changes... if you hear nothing by like feb or march, i would just get it then.. if money isnt an issue... case closed :applause: :applause: :D

[quote name='Nutts']Third I have the Xbox HD-DVD drive, so I have a couple HD Movies which look great on my TV. Granted it's just 1080i, until my new reciever arrives which should take the 1080P signal through component cables and output it to HDMI so my TV will display the 1080P.
The question here is how does Blue Ray really compare to HD-DVD.
Or how does 1080P really fair against 1080i given the TV that I have.
[/QUOTE]

If you already have HD DVD you already have the superior next-gen format. Blu-Ray has less consistent video, less features on the average, and overall is a lower quality experience due to having less mandatory features in the hardware combined with Sony's push for the outdated MPEG2 video codec. No combo HD/SD discs either and even more restrictive DRM in the form of BD+ on top of AACS.

All you are getting by going Blu-Ray is studio support from studios that dont support HD DVD, but that is inevitable to happen anyway.

Don't let studios and corporations force you to buy two formats, say NO to Blu-Ray and vote with your dollar. HD DVD was the DVD forum's open standard and Sony was too greedy to go by the standard.

[quote name='Ruined']If you already have HD DVD you already have the superior next-gen format. Blu-Ray has less consistent video, less features on the average, and overall is a lower quality experience due to having less mandatory features in the hardware combined with Sony's push for the outdated MPEG2 video codec. No combo HD/SD discs either and even more restrictive DRM in the form of BD+ on top of AACS.

All you are getting by going Blu-Ray is studio support from studios that dont support HD DVD, but that is inevitable to happen anyway.

Don't let studios and corporations force you to buy two formats, say NO to Blu-Ray and vote with your dollar. HD DVD was the DVD forum's open standard and Sony was too greedy to go by the standard.[/quote]

Sony was to greedy? DVD was to greedy. They charged up the ass to just use their format. Thats why all the major companies got together and made a new format. So they dont get anal raped by costs.

[quote name='Ruined']If you already have HD DVD you already have the superior next-gen format.[/quote]

sorry my friend but i dont agree with that

although this is my personal opinion comming from watching movies in both formats... right now HD dvd cant even display in 1080p ( however this will cahnge in the new model release, the A2..) and for thoes who say there is no different in 1080p and i, for most circumstances you cant tell the difference, but in certain scenes it actually is better detail.

granted i wouldnt pay 1000 bucks for a blu ray player but since i have one on the ps3 who cares. It is my opinion that of the blu ray movies i ahve watched, i find that the blu ray version does look better than the hd dvd most of the time.

before anyone gest mad this is my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own :applause: :D

Very interesting arguments between HD-DVD and Blue Ray. I'm interested to see the difference myself, though I don't plan on fully supporting either format until more is hashed out. Right now though (without much research and knowledge) it appears to me that HD-DVD is better or "winning", but it's still a wait and see issue.

okay, first off let me tell you that i don't know your situation... i didn't read your post, only the topic title.

I own a ps3, a wii, and a 360. I bought it day one and didn't sell it on ebay. I got the 60 gb system, resistance fall of man, and MI 3 on blu ray. I can honestly say that i am disappointed with my purchase overall.

The ps3 is a pretty damn good system... this I will admit. But the lack of exclusive quality launch games really hurts it. Resistance is the only game I am remotely interested in, everything else I either already ahve for another system or I am not interested in. The blu-ray looks really fucking good on an HD TV though for sure. If you have an HD TV and no HD dvd player or blu ray player yet... you may want to look into the ps3 further.

Its really your call, but I do have faith in the system for the long run... just not anytime soon. I will hold on to mine for sure, just to see what other games come out for it. But if you haven't already purchased one... i would hold off until the library builds up more

buy all the games you missed or skipped this generation. I bet theres plenty of good games for all systems you havent touched.

[quote name='tothjm']although this is my personal opinion comming from watching movies in both formats... right now HD dvd cant even display in 1080p ( however this will cahnge in the new model release, the A2..) and for thoes who say there is no different in 1080p and i, for most circumstances you cant tell the difference, but in certain scenes it actually is better detail.[/QUOTE]

If your TV has 3:2 pulldown/inverse telecine (even the $1600 1080p toshiba flatpanels have this) or 3:3 pulldown, 1080i is exactly the same as 1080p. In other words, 99% of 1080p sets will convert 1080i to 1080p without any signal loss (1080i signal contains all the info to make a perfect 1080p signal).

"1080p output" is more marketing than anything; and even if you want this marketing bullet-point, both the XBOX 360 addon and Toshiba HD-XA2 support 1080p output.

well, im not sur about part of your statement... the 3:2 pulldown is just a screen ratio while the difference in I and P are that in I only half the lines are displayed at any time, and with P all lines are displayed all the time so i fail to see how the 2 are related.

the HD dvd disks are recorded on there in 1080p format and as i said before the problem wasnt the disk, it was just the player. Everyone of course is allowed their own opinion, and from seeing both formats, it is my opinion that i feel the blu ray picture is slightly better, reguardless of 1080P, but to my knowledge the A2 is not relaesed yet.. or if it is i just missed it which is totally possibe :)

if you are still deciding about this format war just go to best buy and they usually have both systems set up enxt to eachother ( HD dvd player and blu ray that is ) and try to see for yourself.... ususally the sets they are playing on are both the same..

I just want thank everyone so far who has responded and have given some of thier opinions, personal experiences and technical knowledge. I've learned a few things that I haven't heard through other internet sites and message boards.

It seems like most people overall are taking the logical route towards waiting. I haven't heard much from those who own both a PS3 and Xbox 360 that give any convincing arguments towards the PS3. Once again it looks like it's all about the games. And I can say personally, the first game that really intreagues me is Lair. It doesn't seem that Blue Ray or 1080P gaming (but I guess most are done in 720P anyway), yet give the PS3 any edge over the competition. A year from now, it could be a different story though.

Thanks

Definitely get one!!!

$200 more than a 360 for a POS system with absolutely no solid online plans, less games and identical graphics capabilities!!!

What a steal!!!

Well, let me say this. If you're talking about the systems as they are now, the Xbox 360 blows the PS3 out of the water. The games just aren't there, but then again the PS3 just launched 2 weeks ago, so that should go without saying. Most of the PS3 games already exist on the 360, and they're usually better on the 360 too, thanks to the developers' inexperience with the system. As with any launch system, people who are buying the PS3 right now are doing it mostly for its potential, both in terms of its technical capabilities (which have yet to be taken advantage of) and the Sony-exclusive titles that will be appearing.

I know that the PS3 is going to be somewhat underwhelming for the next few months, but I also knew that I'm going to get one eventually and there are indeed some games on it that I'd like to play on it while I'm waiting for the truly great titles to come out. Plus, I was interested in a HD movie player and since I knew that I was going to get a PS3 eventually, I thought it made more sense to go with Bluray than to buy an extra HD-DVD drive for the 360. And I'll admit, the fact that it's hard to find made me want it more (the old forbidden fruit thing) and as I mentioned above, I was spending too much time trying to figure out how to get one. I just wanted to get it over with.

I just don't get fanboys, they act like they are going to profit from one console failing and the other succeeding.

PS3 and PSP are both really good system, but fanboys act like the systems are the antichrists of the electronic world and don't work and have no games.

WTF?

I guess I might get one also....after thinking things over. I have $400+ credit in GameRush credit....so, I figure I'll wait until PS3's are readily availabe...which will be when?

bread's done
Back