Cooking Mama and Big Brain Academy

rlse9

CAGiversary!
So, I see that both of these games, along with Super Mario World for the GBA, are on sale at Circuit City in a week for $13.99. That's a tempting price, I know there was a fair amount of discussion about these games when they came out but I'm curious to see what people say about either of them now. Still go back to either of them? Think they were good purchases? Which one of the two would you recommend more? I really shouldn't be buying any games right now since I'm almost completely broke but still, hard to pass up a good deal, especially when I'm about to finish Hotel Dusk and am going to need something new to play.

They're both either love em or hate em games. At $14, I plan on buying Big Brain Academy, but I didn't buy it at a higher price all this time. I bought Cooking Mama for the same price used. No regrets on Cooking Mama from me, and everyone I've given it to has loved it. Still a lot of people are really underwhelmed with it.

Cooking Mama I bought at full price and have gotten a lot of play out of it.

The challenge to do perfect on each recipe and get gold medals, then complete each skill challenge 100% brings a lot of replayability. For 14 dollars, I think it's worth a shot. Go for it!

I recommend both. I personally think that BBA has longer appeal than Brain Age. Though I'm actually selling both of these games in anticipation of the Wii follow-ups - probably won't get them at full price (depending on what the full price of BBA Wii is), but much like Trauma Center I'm assuming they'll be better buys.

Both are fun pick-up-and-play games that you can let your friends play when they're bored. Everyone seems to get a kick out of Big Brain Academy. I happen to think both were worth paying 20 bucks for.

Just my quick .02 on Cooking Mama.

I love Cooking Mama for the sheer other-ness of it. There's really very little like it.

I find I like learning about the different recipes and dishes that aren't particularly western. I've never eaten nor prepared Soba, so it was a little entertaining when I encountered it in the game.

I agree with others that say it can be repetitive. I think it's paced _fairly_ well in that usually as soon as you think it's becoming too repetitive, you'll get a new recipe with a new technique that you have to figure out how to master. And Mama is not necessarily great with instructions.

The only thing I find very frustrating about it is some new recipes are gotten only by choosing an alternate recipe while creating another dish. For instance, you'll be in the middle of making Fried Prawn, then Mama will ask you if you want it Tempura instead. If you choose no, you have to start Fried Prawn again to get back to Tempura style. Not a big deal, but after you play and play you forget which dishes had deviations in them, making you go back and play ones that you've already mastered some time ago.

Other than that, I like it a lot. It's fun to go for the Gold medals. Definitely worth $14.00 and more. ;-)

Big Brain Academy is a blast, my gf who is nothing near a gamer is just loving the crap out of it, even my mom who is not into games one bit was getting addicted too it, then my two little cousins at first laughed at it cuz it was a "learning" game...

But by the end of this weekend they went out with their parents and bought it haha.

Awesome game.

I want to get cooking mama, sounds fun ;)

I have both - Cooking Mama frustrates me sometimes because it seems like I will never get a gold medal on some of the dishes... and I like to feel 'complete' with things like that :p
I have almost beat Big Brain Academy as far as by individual games. The highest score I can get on the test is a B because some of the games are hard... and I go back and play it sometimes because I really like a few of the games.
I think those were actually the first 2 games I bought for my DS - I have considered trading both but only because there are other games like that that I would like to try also [Clubhouse Games, Brain Age]. Seems you will get your $14 out of it if you buy either of them at that price :)

I just bought Cooking Mama yesterday and it's a lot of fun. It really makes cooking into a game, it's not like a sim or anything. I like the graphics a lot too.

bread's done
Back