Cooking Mama: Cook Off - Gen. Discussion & Info

dothog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://www.majescoentertainment.com/press/oct3006.php
Majesco Entertainment Company (NASDAQ: COOL), an innovative provider of digital entertainment products and content, today announced that it will be publishing Cooking Mama: Cook Off for the Wii™ home video console from Nintendo®. Scheduled for release early next year, Cooking Mama: Cook Off is a follow up to the award-winning Nintendo DS™ predecessor that is being showcased in approximately 10,000 retail demo kiosks nationwide in November.

“Since its introduction last month, Cooking Mama for the Nintendo DS has won people over with its fun, addictive gameplay and innovative use of the Touch Screen,” said Ken Gold, vice president of Marketing. “Cooking Mama: Cook Off for the Wii console similarly integrates the unique Wii Remote while layering on new features--including multiplayer and a full range of international cuisine--that fans are hungry for.”

Making special use of the Wii Remote, Cooking Mama: Cook Off is an entertaining blend of mashing, slicing, chopping and stirring as players create more than 300 real-world recipes from 10 different nations. New realistic graphics and real-time cooking effects lend authenticity to player creations and help budding chefs determine when food is overcooked. Best of all, Cooking Mama: Cook Off offers 2-player kitchen competitions to determine who can cook the best meal the fastest.
People can knock it as being a so-called port of its DS cousin. I still want this game as badly as I do Super Mario Galaxy. I have a feeling this is going to be a big hit with my whole family.

[quote name='dothog']
People can knock it as being a so-called port of its DS cousin. [/QUOTE]

I was really worried it might end up being a very basic port-- I beat the original game in just a few nights, even though it was really quite fun. However, 300 recipes, and a vs mode? Hell yes.

I can't believe it took this long for a cooking game to finally become reality.

It's a great concept. It should have been done ages ago.

I think this will really show off the Wii remote's functionality. :cool:

Hopefully, they keep the price point low like they did with the DS game.
I'd not expect it to ship for $19.99 (I'd be thrilled if it did), but $29.99 wouldn't seem out of the question.

[quote name='Tybee']I will buy this the minute it comes out. I was a huge fan of the DS version.[/quote]Is it possible for a budget title to be a system seller?

[quote name='botticus']Is it possible for a budget title to be a system seller?[/QUOTE]

*cough*Brain Age*cough*

IGN write up on their play of it.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/754/754383p1.html
230056brp.jpg

This game (on DS) at first reminded me of Wario Ware but in a way it reminded me of one of the brainage type games in that it was trying to teach me something or make me better at something. I really liked it but didnt stay with it for long. Well not long ago my daughter picked it up and it became the first game she ever beat on her DS (she was 8yo at the time) anyways she just loved it and got my wife involved at times. Seeing this game comming up for the Wii has me excited for myself as well as the wife and kids. As far as I can tell these are all real recipes and these are accurate times to cook and such so it might end up helping my girl with cooking when she cant get some real hands on time. Plus she has not as yet burned down the house or cut her self using the DS or its stylus. Cant wait for this one to drop.
EB games listing:
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=230056
Looks like its going to come out during her spring break, good news indeed.

Looking forward to this quite a bit, though disappointed that it looks to be $50 as yet. Certainly possible for that to change (to something more budgety like $30 or $40), but requires a bit more thought to buy at that point. I think the inclusion of multiplayer will make it worth the extra though. Definitely a game I could get my fiancee to join in.

I know my bf is looking forward to this game. He loves the DS one and is always talking about how Mama is hot :roll: We'll probably get this when it comes out.

Off topic, I really hate how getting a launch console (and really liking it) has caused us to buy so many games at retail. I never bought a console at launch before, and I've almost never bought games at retail unless there was a preorder bonus or it was an import game. And I can totally see a lot of the Wii's games dropping significantly in price in the near future. I feel like a very inadequate cheapass.

Absolutely cannot wait for this one. Wife got the DS version as a gift for Christmas, loves it...will be a lot of fun to do a cook-off against her!

RD

Went to 2 GameStops, a Best Buy, and a Target expecting this to be on the shelves today. Nobody knew anything save one of the GameStops, who claimed that the game shipped today. Say what?

I realize me and my family are among the tens of people nationwide who are excited about this game, but I think it's gonna be lots of fun. Provided it ever reaches shelves.

I believe all of this weeks big releases shipped today (Kororinpa, Godfather, Cooking Mama, Wing Island), so should be around tomorrow.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Are you really going to pay 50 bucks for it?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I think I'm going to do it. You never know until just before you get to the counter with a copy in your hand. On one hand, it's 50 bucks, but on the other, it's a game that I know for certain everyone will play and enjoy out of the box. We'll see...

[quote name='dothog']Yeah, I think I'm going to do it. You never know until just before you get to the counter with a copy in your hand. On one hand, it's 50 bucks, but on the other, it's a game that I know for certain everyone will play and enjoy out of the box. We'll see...[/quote]That's kinda where I'm at. I know I'll enjoy it, but at the same time, I'm disappointed in Majesco's whorishness, releasing a budget DS port (with a whopping additional two-player mode) at full retail. Even $40 would have been nice, especially when Kororinpa and Wing Island are at that price point.

[quote name='botticus']That's kinda where I'm at. I know I'll enjoy it, but at the same time, I'm disappointed in Majesco's whorishness, releasing a budget DS port (with a whopping additional two-player mode) at full retail. Even $40 would have been nice, especially when Kororinpa and Wing Island are at that price point.[/QUOTE]

I thought I heard it wasn't a port?

[quote name='porieux']I thought I heard it wasn't a port?[/quote]Well, it's not a "port," but it's the same gameplay you experienced on the DS, with motion controls replacing stylus controls, new/different recipies, and two player support. Regardless, if it was a budget title on the DS, it should be a budget title on Wii.

I bought Cooking Mama when it launched and I absolutely love it. Such a fun game.

But with games like Pokemon Battle Revolution, Mario Party 8 and Super Paper Mario on the horizon for 50 bucks, Cooking Mama just doesn't seem worth it. I really want it, but I'll wait for some sort of drop.

[quote name='botticus']Well, it's not a "port," but it's the same gameplay you experienced on the DS, with motion controls replacing stylus controls, new/different recipies, and two player support. Regardless, if it was a budget title on the DS, it should be a budget title on Wii.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played it on the DS. Seems more interesting with the Wiimote angle.
I would imagine the price will come down before long.

Is this game just a race to see who can make the food first or do you get to make your own recipes and have people judge it and stuff like the cooking minigames of Suikoden?

[quote name='Scrubking']Is this game just a race to see who can make the food first or do you get to make your own recipes and have people judge it and stuff like the cooking minigames of Suikoden?[/quote]The single player is just making dishes. Depending on the speed and accuracy with which you complete each step you are awarded a medal (if it's exactly like the DS version). When you do well enough on the dishes, you unlock additional dishes.

The two-player competitive mode is likely just doing the above, but hoping to do better than the other.

So, why are many of the releases ending up in stores on Wednesdays now? Used to, the majority of all the new games would be in the store by Tuesday. (As with movies and music.)

Are they trying to make Wednesday the new Tuesday, or am I just crazy?

Unless games are street dated, they always ship out on Tuesdays and get to stores on Wednesday.

Rig - you just haven't noticed. Most high profile and movie based games (Scarface, Open Season, and TMNT come to mind) are streeted and in stores before the Tuesday, thus leading to retailers having them on that Tuesday.. other games, such as Godfather, Cooking Mama, Armored Core 4, etc.. are in stores on Wednesday.

I saw Godfather for the wii last night at target. Cooking mama doesn't really interest me since I cook with real ingredients for a living. :D

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Ugh, damn you Wii...

Cooking Mama was the only game I found interesting that is releasing this year... now it sucks horribley.

Awsome.[/quote]Do you have the DS version? It scored equally horribly.

Cooking Mama is really hard to recommend over WarioWare. Both are a collection of mini-games, and when it comes down to it, WarioWare's are just more fun (and wacky).

If games like these persist, I will have no choice but to sell my Wii while there is still a shortage.($50 profit here I come) Games look bleak for the Wii as of now.

Seriously, who the fuck is spending $50 on Cooking Mama??? Unless you're plagued by a rare medical condition whereby you crap 100-dollar bills, how is this game worth more than $30 full MSRP?

Save your money for Super Paper Mario!

[quote name='CheapyD']Cooking Mama is really hard to recommend over WarioWare. Both are a collection of mini-games, and when it comes down to it, WarioWare's are just more fun (and wacky).[/QUOTE]
Well, one problem is that for whatever reason WarioWare isn't catching on. Outside of Mohawk, Discard, and Samurai games, nobody really seems to get into it. Everyone winds up going back to something on Wii Sports.

Granted, the family still does a lot of mario karting for MP fun, but when we've had company over since we've had WW, it just seems like people are drawn to Wii Sports. Must be the inclusion of Miis or something.

My hope was that the cooking theme running through the minigames of Cooking Mama would make them more compelling given that you can unlock recipes or race to beat a 2nd player. Maybe that's the problem with WW: without a unifying them and just random "wackiness," WW's minigames just aren't wacky enough to hold up to multiple replays.

[quote name='Scobie']Seriously, who the fuck is spending $50 on Cooking Mama??? Unless you're plagued by a rare medical condition whereby you crap 100-dollar bills, how is this game worth more than $30 full MSRP?

Save your money for Super Paper Mario![/quote]

The people that acctually want to use their WIi for something, other than watching their parents play Wii Sports for the hundredth time.

If any Cooking Mama DS fan gets this, do let us know your opinion. If it's more of the same, I'll be looking forward to a price drop... however many years that'll take. ;]

[quote name='Scobie']Seriously, who the fuck is spending $50 on Cooking Mama??? Unless you're plagued by a rare medical condition whereby you crap 100-dollar bills, how is this game worth more than $30 full MSRP?

Save your money for Super Paper Mario![/quote]

I never get people who say this. Look at this logically. Buy it for $50. Play it for 2 weeks or however long you want to, sell it on ebay for $25-$30.

How much did you spend? $20 (not considering opportunity cost)! Less than you think it is worth. Problem solved. Even selling it for $20 get's you your perceived value.

So you go ahead and wait for months for it to drop to your $30. I'll get it now and pay the exact same cost you perceive it to be worth.

[quote name='schuerm26']I never get people who say this. Look at this logically. Buy it for $50. Play it for 2 weeks or however long you want to, sell it on ebay for $25-$30.

How much did you spend? $20 (not considering opportunity cost)! Less than you think it is worth. Problem solved. Even selling it for $20 get's you your perceived value.

So you go ahead and wait for months for it to drop to your $30. I'll get it now and pay the exact same cost for it overall.[/QUOTE]

What are you thinking? Logic has no place here on CAG.

[quote name='schuerm26']I never get people who say this. Look at this logically. Buy it for $50. Play it for 2 weeks or however long you want to, sell it on ebay for $25-$30.

So you go ahead and wait for months for it to drop to your $30. I'll get it now and pay the exact same cost you perceive it to be worth.[/QUOTE]

Assuming you have an ebay account and sell on ebay, assuming you can get someone to buy it for the amount you want and assuming that the gamer wants to resell the game in the first place. :roll:

[quote name='Popnmusic']I saw Godfather for the wii last night at target. Cooking mama doesn't really interest me since I cook with real ingredients for a living. :D[/quote]same here, but its still compelling :)

[quote name='Scrubking']Assuming you have an ebay account and sell on ebay, assuming you can get someone to buy it for the amount you want and assuming that the gamer wants to resell the game in the first place. :roll:[/QUOTE]

And assuming you have the time to fuck with it.

Not to mention if it was $20-30 like it should be one could still resale it for the same % drop off as in his example and be out less than the $20 in his example (i.e. buy for $30, sell for $20 out $10).

So the price still sucks for those that have the account, time etc. to buy and flip on ebay when they beat it in a day or two.

Good show, 1up, good show. Iron Chef-style review - DS vs. Wii! Secret ingredient: Pikmin!

(7.5, incidentally, Wii wins over DS)

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3158166

Man on the Floor: Fukui-san!

Commentator: Go ahead.

Man on the Floor: I asked the challenger if her cooking companion was a sign of uncertainty, and she simply laughed. "I can cook alone," she said, "but it's more fun with a friend."

Commentator: I see. So she's simply more social than her solitary competition?

Man on the Floor: Yes, although she did admit that having a friend to compete against does improve her skills. "I feel that facing off against other chefs forces me to learn my recipes by heart and perfect my cooking technique -- so bringing along my assistant reminds me of how hard I've worked to prepare for this competition." Back to you.
:rofl:

bread's done
Back