Cooking Mama Wii for $20 at Target B&M YMMV

D. Monic

CAGiversary!
Update: This deal is a bit more YMMV than originally thought. It's still ringing up at $19.99 for many CAGers, but others have had it ring up at $29.99. Basically, the deal is still active but consider it YMMV. Make sure to to ring the game up at a register regardless of what the price tag or shelf tag might say.

---------------------------------

I know this deal has been mentioned (i.e., buried) in at least three other threads, but I thought it deserved a thread of its own. That way, no one misses it.

Target has Cooking Mama for Wii for $19.99. It's currently sold out online, but you can use the link below (thanks Daisydog) to find a local Target that has the game in stock.

http://www.target.com/Cooking-Mama-Cook-Off-Nintendo/dp/B000KUHR8S

This deal wasn't advertised, so it's hard to say if it's a price drop, a sale, etc. But it's not a clearance and it's not YMMV. If your store has it in stock, it will ring up at $19.99. That said, if you're really interested in the game, it's probably best you buy it by Saturday just in case it's a one-week temporary sale.

[quote name='shrike4242']Just checked the Target.com website by the link in the OP, and it says $29.99 now for the price. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Yeah, welcome to yesterday ;) (See my previous posts!)

It was like that Weds night. It seems it is still ringing up $19.99 for some people though. I went to a Target Thurs and they didn't have it but I should be at one that does Friday. I'm in OR - I'll see if the whole West Coast is hosed or just CA!

[quote name='io']
I'm in OR - I'll see if the whole West Coast is hosed or just CA![/quote]
I'm in WA - I've been to two Targets in the last three days and both had it on the "cheap games" endcap marked at $19.99 on the shelf tag.

[quote name='io']Yeah, welcome to yesterday ;) (See my previous posts!)

It was like that Weds night. It seems it is still ringing up $19.99 for some people though. I went to a Target Thurs and they didn't have it but I should be at one that does Friday. I'm in OR - I'll see if the whole West Coast is hosed or just CA![/quote]I guess it was a good thing I jumped on it when I did. :D

[quote name='SlayerX95']Went by during lunch and it scanned as 19.99 at my Target. (Durham, NC)[/quote]

Glad to hear it - hopefully it's the same at the Target in Raleigh that I plan on stopping at once I get off work this evening.

I updated the OP to indicate that the deal is somewhat YMMV, since it's not ringing up at $19.99 for everyone. Seems that the deal is still active, but unfortunately it's not universal.

This is pretty wierd - do either of these copies have a different UPC sticker covering the original one (either the ones ringing up $19.99 or $29.99)? I wonder if this is the equivalent of a "front lane" game in other stores?

[quote name='io']This is pretty wierd - do either of these copies have a different UPC sticker covering the original one (either the ones ringing up $19.99 or $29.99)? I wonder if this is the equivalent of a "front lane" game in other stores?[/QUOTE]
I'm curious as well. Are Target deals usually this YMMV? Obviously, the clearance stuff is, but from my experince everything else is generally universal. I wonder if this was just some kind of price mistake and some stores have been faster to correct it than others.

From the last time we've had something like this, which I think was the drop on Viva Pinata, I think it was the some way. Most stores were $19.99, though a few of them were $49.99.

[quote name='io']This is pretty wierd - do either of these copies have a different UPC sticker covering the original one (either the ones ringing up $19.99 or $29.99)? I wonder if this is the equivalent of a "front lane" game in other stores?[/quote]

$19.99 version had no sticker. It was even tagged $19.99 on the shelf (SW Florida here).

I got one at the Brown Deer (Milw. WI) store. I didn't see it so I asked a very, very slow (nice but slow) clerk who finally looked it up and then went in back and found one. It rang up $19.99. No Ghost Squad in sight. They didn't have the value section at all that I've seen in another store. Perhaps there is an common tag at $29.99 for these games???

[quote name='schultzed']I got one at the Brown Deer (Milw. WI) store. I didn't see it so I asked a very, very slow (nice but slow) clerk who finally looked it up and then went in back and found one. I rang up $19.99. No Ghost Squad in sight. They didn't have the value section at all that I've seen in another store. Perhaps there is an common tag at $29.99 for these games???[/QUOTE]

I went to the store that supposedly had it in stock and didn't see it. I guess I could have asked too, but I really wasn't too keen on it at $19.99 even - just curious (and I was there for other reasons).

For the Target by Regal Theatre in Orchard Park it is true and they have at least one copy there for 19.99. Unfortunately they had two copies of Ghost Squad....29.99.

Scored one tonight. I asked the guy if I could get a price check, and he pointed to the tag that said $29.99. Even though it was annoying, I just said that I had heard it had dropped in price and politely asked if he could check again. $19.99. :) Good deal!

Yeah, I returned some clearance stuff that had priced dropped recently that I rebought at other stores (namely 360 Homecourt and some PSP AV cables). Then, I went to the electronics section and bought Cooking Mama. Good deal. Thanks to the OP.

I price-checked (self-scanner) a copy from my local target, and it rang up at the listed price of $29.99

[quote name='monstericreated']Scored one tonight. I asked the guy if I could get a price check, and he pointed to the tag that said $29.99.[/quote]

That is so infuriating.

Picked up a copy today at the Brier Creek store in Raleigh, NC for $19.99. I stopped at a couple of other stores on the way home, and saw that it was shelf tagged for $19.99 everywhere.

I went ahead and nabbed a copy at the Target closest to me. They still had about 5 copies left in the cheap games isle. For any of you KC CAGs this was the store off of I-35 and Chouteau.

I'm thinking this is a standard drop at Target and more than likely all will follow. Found 3 at the endcap displa mind you, where the budget, not discounted games are. Price printed out and tagged on the shelf itself.

[quote name='falcinator']I'm thinking this is a standard drop at Target and more than likely all will follow. Found 3 at the endcap displa mind you, where the budget, not discounted games are. Price printed out and tagged on the shelf itself.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I just noticed that you're in Pittsburgh too!!!!!

I know at the Monroeville Target the game was moved to the budget titles are and was accompanied by a "Price Cut" (not a temporary price cut, which seems to indicate this is a permanent markdown). The game rang up at $19.99 with no issues for me.

Aisle price tag says $29.99 but self scanner said $19.99 at my local target. I didn't pick up because my backlog is huge and I'm not sure my wife would even get around to it since I give her a DS for Christmas. If it's still there on payday then maybe.......

[quote name='blackbird3216']again, can someone scan a reciept or something so that i can pricematch?[/QUOTE]
you do know it is pointless to ask for a target receipt as it does not show the name of the item, only the sku number?

[quote name='alleycat58']Funny, I just noticed that you're in Pittsburgh too!!!!!

I know at the Monroeville Target the game was moved to the budget titles are and was accompanied by a "Price Cut" (not a temporary price cut, which seems to indicate this is a permanent markdown). The game rang up at $19.99 with no issues for me.[/quote]

Cool....!

I picked up mine at the Robinson, played it for about ten minutes then started getting read errors, I think a first for my Wii. Reset a few times, looked at the disc and saw some odd rubbing in the surface. Have to go exchange JUST as I was enjoing it. The motions ARE very specific, but not impossible I think.

I bet this'll drop more over the next month.....

[quote name='62t']you do know it is pointless to ask for a target receipt as it does not show the name of the item, only the sku number?[/quote]

Yeah my receipt just shows the sku, $19.99, and says "Wii" as the item name. Hey maybe I could take it to Best Buy, tell them I got a Wii console for that price, and PM it... ;)

[quote name='alleycat58']Funny, I just noticed that you're in Pittsburgh too!!!!!

I know at the Monroeville Target the game was moved to the budget titles are and was accompanied by a "Price Cut" (not a temporary price cut, which seems to indicate this is a permanent markdown). The game rang up at $19.99 with no issues for me.[/quote]

Cool....!

I picked up mine at the Robinson, played it for about ten minutes then started getting read errors, I think a first for my Wii. Reset a few times, looked at the disc and saw some odd rubbing in the surface. Have to go exchange JUST as I was enjoing it. The motions ARE very specific, but not impossible I think.

Cool....!

I've noticed a handful of games in the "cheap" games section at various targets. Cooking Mama at $20 is one of these. The other titles I've noticed are:

(all 360 titles)
COD 2: $20
Dead Rising: $25
Monster Maddness: $30
Transformers: $25 or $30
Pirates of the Carribean: $25 or $30

Wii
COD 3: $25

There's several more, but these are the ones I recall off the top of my head. They aren't clearance prices -- they are marked as "Temporary Price Reduction".

Picked up a copy for the misses, she love sit on DS. She has a slew of titles to catch up on but more Wii games never hurt. Hopefully the controls wont frustrate her too badly. Nice V-Day gift. :D

[quote name='skiingnow4376']I'm new to the site...what is YMMV?[/quote]
Your mileage may vary - forum-speak for "not at every store" or "may require some smooth talking". On stuff like this, it means it's probably worth calling first rather than wasting gas and the time it takes just to look at an endcap.

No luck for me, checked two Targets near me and Cooking Mama rung up for $29.99 at both stores. Might check another Target near work tomorrow.

If I'm back out that way, I'll try and snap a pic of the game along with the shelf tag that says "PRICE CUT" along with the title and $19.99.

I don't know that that would help anyone, but who knows. Target is very very strange about their prices. I have 3 stores within a 10 mile radius of me and I can sometimes spot the same item and each store will have it for a different price.

[quote name='alleycat58']If I'm back out that way, I'll try and snap a pic of the game along with the shelf tag that says "PRICE CUT" along with the title and $19.99.

I don't know that that would help anyone, but who knows. Target is very very strange about their prices. I have 3 stores within a 10 mile radius of me and I can sometimes spot the same item and each store will have it for a different price.[/QUOTE]
It'll help me

bread's done
Back