Core Duo vs Core 2 Duo

ShinAkuma

CAGiversary!
I happen to be in the market for a laptop, and happen to have a budget of $1000. Now, i'm looking to get something at dell, and they have a 1.73ghz core duo, and a 1.6ghz core 2 duo for $60 more. Obviously, i'm a bit curious as to how much difference there really will be here; after all, Intel says there's only a 12% performance increase there. Would the extra clock speed offset the generally minor window in performance? I've tried looking around at the tech sites, and I can't find squat in regards to this.

As always, thanks go out to those who give me their time.

Core Duo and Core 2 Duo, dispite their names, are actually totally diffent chip designs.

Core Duo was the revamp of the Centrino line whereas the Core 2 Duo is the hulking dual core beast. For only $60, definitely get the C2D.

*this is all subject to the terms and conditions set forth by my memory...

Basically, the Core Duo is a dual-core Pentium M with some other minor enhancements. The Core 2 Duo is a dual-core design that was built entirely from the ground up. Unlike the previous Core Duo and Pentium D chips, the Core 2 Duo isn't simply two existing cores slapped into a package. Pentium D, Core Duo, and Core 2 Duo are all dual-core processors, but the whole new design used for each of the cores used in the Core 2 Duo make it current the performance king.

I understand the performance is definately going to be superior, expecially if we're comparing them at the same clock speed, but I just want evreryone to be sure that I'm asking if it's possible that the 1.73 core duo, while it does have a lesser performance over a core 2 duo of the same speed, would be able to outperform the core 2 duo of 1.6ghz. If it can, or at least possibly be reasonably close, i'd like to be cheap.

Intel really screwed themselves with the years of "higher MHZ=better".

Think of a rowboat. One boat has 2 oars 1 foot thick that spin 60 times every minute. The other boat has 2 oars 2 feet thick, but spin only 50 times a minute.

Even though the second boat is rowing slower, its still moving considerably more water per stroke.

Meaning, even though the C2D is "slower" it still does more opperations per cycle than any other CPU on the market.

[quote name='ShinAkuma']I understand the performance is definately going to be superior, expecially if we're comparing them at the same clock speed, but I just want evreryone to be sure that I'm asking if it's possible that the 1.73 core duo, while it does have a lesser performance over a core 2 duo of the same speed, would be able to outperform the core 2 duo of 1.6ghz. If it can, or at least possibly be reasonably close, i'd like to be cheap.[/quote]

I've always understood the more is better isn't the truth myth, but I suppose in the end it sounds like the smidgeon bit more clock speed wont help because the design of the core 2 duo is still much more effective at a slightly slower speed.

all this multi core talk is giving me a headache. Unless Adobe products starts using multi cores, I am going to be stuck with my P4-3ghz for a while longer even though I am due for an upgrade :whistle2:O Now they are saying unless the product uses multicore, a 2ghz C2D will be slower then my single core p4-3ghz. bah

[quote name='ITDEFX']Now they are saying unless the product uses multicore, a 2ghz C2D will be slower then my single core p4-3ghz. bah[/QUOTE]

That couldn't be further from the truth. Even a single core of a Core 2 Duo running at 2GHz will still beat a P4 3GHz. Instructions Per Cycle baby. The P4 was the most ridiculously inefficient x86 processor ever made.

[quote name='Nogib']That couldn't be further from the truth. Even a single core of a Core 2 Duo running at 2GHz will still beat a P4 3GHz. Instructions Per Cycle baby. The P4 was the most ridiculously inefficient x86 processor ever made.[/QUOTE]

man if I had the money I would buy a C2D and run it next to my current P4-3Ghz. Doesn't seem right that this new technology is running over 500 bucks yet they are already planning the next set of core chips before dropping the price of the current generation.

I don't feel like making a new topic, but what can you guys tell me about AMD Dual Cores? I'm looking at a new cheap system, let me know what you guys think:

Windows Vista Basic
Dell Dimension E521
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
16X DVD ROM Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

$399 Shipped

That whole machine costs less than what I paid for my processor 14 months ago.

[quote name='zewone']I don't feel like making a new topic, but what can you guys tell me about AMD Dual Cores? I'm looking at a new cheap system, let me know what you guys think:

Windows Vista Basic
Dell Dimension E521
16X DVD ROM Drive

$399 Shipped
[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']That whole machine costs less than what I paid for my processor 14 months ago.[/QUOTE]
Is that bad? :)

I don't play any games, so I'm not worried about the graphics card. I just mainly do photo editing and listen to music. I did a little bit of research and it seems that the low end AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ out performs the high end Intel Core Duo in a lot of cases. I'm guessing though that the Core 2 Duo shits all over them both though.

In your opinion, is it smart to buy that computer now, or possibly wait for a core 2 duo price drop or a quad core?

Well, if you want a short answer, buy it.

Long answer... *deep breath*...
The x2 line is about a year and a half/2 years old. If you want to wait on a price drop for a C2D system, you'll probably be waiting until 2008 when they drop the real quad cores. (Current 'quad' cores are two dual cores on the same chip, much akin to the difference between the Pentium D and C2D) If you want to wait for AMD quad core, it'll probably still wind up costing atleast 1.5x the ammount of that system and the release date was maybe 2007.

So, if time is a factor, go with the cheapy as the others aren't happening soon.

Then you get into the fact that you do mostly media and no gaming. You probably would see a noticable difference between the preformance of an X2 and a C2D, however, thats a difference you're going to pay for. Quad cores really aren't even to be considered in this scenario as it'll take some time before apps even take advantage of it. Dual core PCs have been out for about 2 years and most end user apps don't even really take advantage of it.

Long story short (again), don't believe the hype. Yes, the chips on the horizon are going to be better, but they always will be. If you want both performance and cost effectiveness, jump on an AMD system as they have slashed their prices.

[quote name='zewone']Is that bad? :)

I don't play any games, so I'm not worried about the graphics card. I just mainly do photo editing and listen to music. I did a little bit of research and it seems that the low end AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ out performs the high end Intel Core Duo in a lot of cases. I'm guessing though that the Core 2 Duo shits all over them both though.

In your opinion, is it smart to buy that computer now, or possibly wait for a core 2 duo price drop or a quad core?[/quote]

[quote name='zewone']I don't feel like making a new topic, but what can you guys tell me about AMD Dual Cores? I'm looking at a new cheap system, let me know what you guys think:

Windows Vista Basic
Dell Dimension E521
16X DVD ROM Drive

$399 Shipped[/quote]

Hell, for that price, go for it. I have a PC with a C2D and a Nividia Geforce 7950 gt card that cost four times that amount. But I bought it primarily for gaming. If your not using it for high end games, then it will be fine.

To answer the question about the C2D, my extensive research found that it is currently the best CPU line out there. That's why I went with it.

I might be in the market for a new machine in the next 4 or 5 months as well, and this thread has been helpful in answering my CPU questions. Thanks. :)

Zewone, how did you get that solid of a price from Dell? The lowest base model I can configure through their site is like almost $800 for the AMD model, and only able to find like 20% or $300 off coupons online. Education discount?

When I got my Inspiron 8600 (great machine!) a little over 3 years ago, Dell every week seemed to offer a few new upgrades and price cuts and such. They seem to be pretty stingy with that as I've been looking. Has that changed semi-recently?

[quote name='daroga']I might be in the market for a new machine in the next 4 or 5 months as well, and this thread has been helpful in answering my CPU questions. Thanks. :)

Zewone, how did you get that solid of a price from Dell? The lowest base model I can configure through their site is like almost $800 for the AMD model, and only able to find like 20% or $300 off coupons online. Education discount?

When I got my Inspiron 8600 (great machine!) a little over 3 years ago, Dell every week seemed to offer a few new upgrades and price cuts and such. They seem to be pretty stingy with that as I've been looking. Has that changed semi-recently?[/QUOTE]
Dell Business! :D

Use this link: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=bdcwbbz&s=bsd

It's 579 for the system I mentioned above, but subtract $180 by taking no monitor (I already got a 19' widescreen). So then it's $399 with free shipping.

Damn, I just tore up a Dell catalog that probably had a % off code too... You should email all the people that bought my ebay items and see if they got it. :lol:

[quote name='zewone']Dell Business! :D

Use this link: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=bdcwbbz&s=bsd

It's 579 for the system I mentioned above, but subtract $180 by taking no monitor (I already got a 19' widescreen). So then it's $399 with free shipping.[/quote]

Sorry to thread hijack, but im wondering if you guys think it'd be a good idea to jump into the dual core market now that Intel has started releasing quad-core processors.

Average barebones price for a Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13ghz x2) system is $302 shipped. With a decent case and fan upgrades, price is around $370. I'm just wondering with Intel's Quad cores out, how long til these drop in price even more?

I'm looking at replacing my P4 2.53 ghz system with something decent. I was looking into AMD's at first (Athlon 64 4600 x2 barebones system is $290); but i read that the Core 2 Duo's were much better. Hope someone can help me.

quad cores arent coming to the consumer market until 2k8.

you can get them as the "extreme" or Xeon series. but it will cost you a looot, and almost no programs support them atm.

bread's done
Back