Costco just opened on my island

P dad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hello
Costco just opened on my island and I am looking for advice on any deals that CAGs think are worthwhile at Costco. All products........

I thought this was going to be about how you owned some island and you're inviting people to it to check out the new Costco you built.

I'm pretty bored.

Which island? I think there's been one on Maui, and I'd guess if there's been one on Maui there must be at least one on Oahu.

Costco's house brand - Kirkland Signature - is actually really good quality for most items (consistently ranks at or near the top in Consumer Reports)

I get their brand TP, paper towels, dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent, paper plates (these may just be plain generic), plastic cups.

They also have cheap eyecare and pharmacy services.

And if you need new pots and pans their set of anodized aluminum cookware, $150 for a 10 piece set IIRC, was the top ranked in Consumer Reports. I bought a set last year and love it.

Some of the stuff isn't really much of a deal over supermarket/wal-mart prices but some of it is, you just have to price compare.

[quote name='rustyrage']tell me more about this island.[/QUOTE]

This is what came to mind for me:

evil_genius_small_2.jpg

[quote name='Mind_n_Soul']im guessing its the kauai costco, one day i will go to kauai[/quote]

I concur. That would be the Kauai Costco, as it was supposed to open around this time.

While I'm unable to visit the Kauai Costco, Costco in general offers decent prices on most stuff. A decent amount of bulk food items seem to be cheaper there, and as mentioned, their store brand is good. As long as you're shopping there on a semi-regular basis (1+ times a month), it's worth the membership.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']My favorite item at Costco is the $1.50 hot dog and unlimited soda combo.[/quote]

lol... don't forget the polish sausage option.

The best deals you will find at Costco is on Hard Cover Books. Typically I can find all major new releases there for between 12-15 bucks, compared to paying 25-30 at Borders of Barnes and Noble. Their video game selection is pretty paltry, sometimes they have new titles on the day of their release, but this mostly only applies to major releases ie: Madden, Halo, GTA, Mario, etc. They are generally abotu 5 bucks cheaper then the electronics retailers. The only place where Costco falters is their DVDs. They generally have a much smaller selection and higher prices then Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or Target, so I would avoid shooping for movies there. I've also heard that Costco has the easiest return policy of any retailer, and will give you cash or at least credit for seemingly anything and everything, open, sealed, used, or new. Not sure if this is still the case though.

Actually interesting inner knowledge is that i'd heard of store managers of continental 48 becoming front-end boxboys to get a job at that particular Costco.

Anyway, unless you're buying bulk, you won't save much, in fact, you'll prob throw out a lot more than what you'd actually use if it's just for you. However, since they can only put at most a 12% markup on anything you'll generally find all games cheaper; but yes, really crappy selection.

the costcos and sams club i have been to in oahu are really nice, they seem very very spacious and bigger, compared to my local so cal mainland costco and sams.

they seem to have better selection at the costcos in oahu, maybe because there aren't that many yet and everybody goes to them. and they also have local favorites in the food court like musubi and plate lunches

the first time i went to costco in hawaii i was amazed

[quote name='62t']well first you need to get the membership. I suggests getting several people get one together.[/QUOTE]
My mom and several of her co-workers got together to get Costco membership, and it comes out to about $10-15 per year, which isn't bad. I think it's about $45 if it's only for one person, isn't it?

[quote name='YoshiFan1']My favorite item at Costco is the $1.50 hot dog and unlimited soda combo.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, forgot about that! The dog is a Hebrew National all beef which is one of the very best IMO.

They also have a premium hand dipped ice cream treat that is absolutely amazing for $1.50, I think.

It's a plain vanilla ice cream (on a stick) that the snack guy/girl hand dips in chocolate and then in a pile of roasted almonds right when you order it. Awesome.

They also have a really cheap check printing service through their site. Just ordered new checks through that a month ago and it was ~$9 shipped for 400 checks. Wal-Mart.com also has a service, but it's just a little bit cheaper for a lot less checks. But if you don't have a Costco membership it's probably the best alternative.

I wish costco would open up here because i hear they warrent every product you buy from them for life, which means you can return anything at any time for any reason barring a few exceptions like computers, this alone would be a good enough reason to buy anything expensive from there, if it breaks just return it, you would save enough in warrenties and extras to justify the cost of a membership.

[quote name='JohnnyDrama']My mom and several of her co-workers got together to get Costco membership, and it comes out to about $10-15 per year, which isn't bad. I think it's about $45 if it's only for one person, isn't it?[/quote]

The price has actually risen to $50 for the basic membership. As well, if I can remember it, the two $50 options give you 2 cards and the $100 'executive' option gives you 3 cards.

As for the "lifetime warranty", I can only give personal reference of it being 2 years. If, however, the costco does open up and it is a lifetime warranty, count your lucky stars.

[quote name='wakkoviper']what about "THE OTHERS?"[/QUOTE]

That is classic. DJ, nice sig BTW :) Who's psyched for tonight? :D

[quote name='SaraAB']I wish costco would open up here because i hear they warrent every product you buy from them for life, which means you can return anything at any time for any reason barring a few exceptions like computers, this alone would be a good enough reason to buy anything expensive from there, if it breaks just return it, you would save enough in warrenties and extras to justify the cost of a membership.[/quote]
Return policy:
computers - 6 months
other stuff - 2 years

Basically you can return stuff within 2 years with a receipt for a full refund. But I hope you don't buy a cartload of meat and wish to return it a year later ;)

[quote name='eau']Return policy:
computers - 6 months
other stuff - 2 years

Basically you can return stuff within 2 years with a receipt for a full refund. But I hope you don't buy a cartload of meat and wish to return it a year later ;)[/quote]

you mean, 'cause it'll be poop by then? oh, no... wait.

[quote name='eau']Return policy:
computers - 6 months
other stuff - 2 years

Basically you can return stuff within 2 years with a receipt for a full refund. But I hope you don't buy a cartload of meat and wish to return it a year later ;)[/quote]

I'm not sure if I'd already posted this but someone did try to do this exact same thing. The lived on an island and was having a barbecue, not many people showed and apparently all the meat spoiled so he tried to take it back a good 7 months after he bought it.

Oh geez, i would never try to do that, i was thinking more like returning a ps2 that has gone faulty on you within the 2 years for a new one that actually works, at least you know you could get 2 years out of your system that way.

If we have spoiled meat (the store's fault), its usually returned within a few days of discovering it being spoiled, and yes we have run into more than one package of spoiled meat directly from the store so watch out.

It would be funny if costco had a lifetime warrenty and you tried to return an nes that you bought there in the 80s for a full refund, if the reciept lasted that long and if costco has been in your area for 20 years lol. Unfortunatly we dont have a costco opening up here.

[quote name='SaraAB']Oh geez, i would never try to do that, i was thinking more like returning a ps2 that has gone faulty on you within the 2 years for a new one that actually works, at least you know you could get 2 years out of your system that way.[/quote]

Actually one of the reasons why I know that it's exactly 2 years is the fact that while I was working in electronics a kid brought his ps2 (with a DRE) back 8 days after the 2 years mark. I had to convince the manager that it happened and that he should have it returned.

If we have spoiled meat (the store's fault), its usually returned within a few days of discovering it being spoiled, and yes we have run into more than one package of spoiled meat directly from the store so watch out.

Yeah, gotta check that shit out before you leave the store, we don't check that stuff while we're putting it out. In fact, REALLY make sure that the fresh fruit you're buying isn't moldy as I've told some people at the door about their moldy apples.

It would be funny if costco had a lifetime warrenty and you tried to return an nes that you bought there in the 80s for a full refund, if the reciept lasted that long and if costco has been in your area for 20 years lol. Unfortunatly we dont have a costco opening up here.

And costco is tricky actually as the receipts are heat transfer paper so if you leave it to be exposed to the elements; it'll disappear and just turn into a blank piece of paper. My advice would be to take a photocopy as soon as you get the receipt home if you ever plan on returning it.

bread's done
Back