Costco Online PS3 Bundle revealed... sort of

Zoglog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Dear Costco Member,

You requested to be notified when the Sony PlayStation 3 Bundle is available for purchase at Costco Wholesale. This item will be available for purchase on costco.com on Friday, November 17, 2006 at approximately 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time. The item will be prominently displayed on the homepage of costco.com until it is sold out.

Due to an extremely limited supply, we can accept orders from current Costco members only on a first come, first served basis, with a limit of one unit per household. The Costco warehouses do not have units available at this time.

Orders for the Sony PlayStation 3 Bundle will be shipped via UPS by Monday, November 20, 2006. Tracking information will be available on costco.com.

We hope to receive additional quantities in our warehouses and on costco.com prior to Christmas, but we do not have an estimated arrival date, or approximate quantity at this time. We apologize in advance if you are unable to purchase this item from Costco Wholesale.

time to get all hard for this

im thinking maybe all of you who got in on it might get it, unless they just now updated the thing and thats why it is removing them.

[quote name='meh']How I did it:

1. Logged in. verified that I had logged in.
2. Found it, added it to cart, verified it was in my cart.
3. Checked out, got error, retried
4. Repeat step 3 about 1,948 times.
5. Got to checkout milestone, entered shipping address
6. Submitted shipping address, got error again, retried about 800 times.
7. Sometimes had to go back to step 4.
8. Once I hit the shipping milestone, I copied the URL and tried for payment information.
9. Repeated step 8 a "bunch".
10. Finally (after at least 3 hours), I got to the "finalize purchase" screen
11. I attempted THAT page literally 4 times, and then I was confirmed.
12. Received my email confimration as well.

Every time I hit a milestone, I copied the screen and the URL down. I had multiple tabs on in Firefox as well. I spent a great majority of my time just getting from CART to SHIPPING Info. Once I jumped that milestone, it wasnt TOO bad.

Still, it took too long for a company as big as Costco.

I would say, keep on trying. I nearly gave up myself.[/QUOTE]

I took a similar route, but here's something to check out in future (if we get anything like this again...i.e. a site won't load and keeps losing info/erroring out).
The firebug extension for firefox allows you to manipulate the web page as you are looking at it. I altered the form attribute to target="_blank". This then posted the form results to a new tab, and I then didn't have to keep clicking back and reload/refresh if the page errored out...just went back to the previous tab and clicked the form submit again. Probably would have saved you from the annoying reload, fail, back, forward, etc.

[quote name='meh']How I did it:

8. Once I hit the shipping milestone, I copied the URL and tried for payment information.

Every time I hit a milestone, I copied the screen and the URL down. I had multiple tabs on in Firefox as well. I spent a great majority of my time just getting from CART to SHIPPING Info. Once I jumped that milestone, it wasnt TOO bad.

Still, it took too long for a company as big as Costco.

I would say, keep on trying. I nearly gave up myself.[/QUOTE]

I pretty much followed these exact same steps except I launched everything that I could into a new tab. That way if it errored I could close out the errored tab and open a new one with the link from the other page.

Wow, I finally got into CostCo for the first time today. For some reason, this site is ALWAYS slow for me, no matter what day it is. Not sure if it's BOTH my home computers or what...rather weird. At work it works fine...but I was off today.

I got through and my cart is empty. If anyone knows if i still have a chance somehow please tell me otherwise i guess my PS3 hopes are done.

I think I got my order in at about 10:45AM PST. Later I received an email confirmation and the order also showed up in order status page.

I started the whole ordeal at 7:40. That's 3 hours of typing, clicking, waiting and yelling. I thought I was SOL when the front page said it was sold out but it's still in my cart. So I kept tryinig to check out and finally it went thru.

I guess it was much better than wait in line for days outside a retail store :lol:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5881/ps3jq1.jpg

Originally Posted by meh
How I did it:

I did the same thing, I got to the point when I confirmed my order and the site crashed..no ps3 for me. It is for the best I was going to re sell it for a profit. My Karma is clean.

WTH? I had one in my cart now it's gone. I've been at this since 7:40 and I couldn't even confirm payment. Hopefully it's fixed later on (knocks on wood), if not here's to next year for a PS3.

Guess it's time for a Wii and that $100 XBOX 360 at Amazon.

ROFL. If there is one thing to learn from this experience, getting the 360 for $100 at Amazon is probably going to be ten times more difficult. The Costco dealed might have "lessened" the traffic and insanity because not everyone was willing to risk getting a Costco membership just for a PS3. But with Amazon and 360, ANYTHING GOES.

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']Just canceled my costco membership and got a full refund, no hassle at all.[/quote]

That's why we have been a long time member "no hassle at all" :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

I tried getting one around 8:06AM PST. Received multiple ASP errors after adding to the cart.I gave up after 30 min and noticed it was sold out around 9:15AM PST. I wanted the first wave of PS3's since ASUS manufactured the first batch .

Just a guess. Some of us were able to check out our PS3 an hour after it said "Sold Out" at the homepage because their inventory had been accounted for in our carts. People who came late wouldn't be able to add any more PS3 to their carts. Meanwhile, the server couldn't handle the load but continued to process the checkouts through their saturated bandwidth, which took us like 3 hours.

[quote name='gambit2rebel']Dude they fucking suck donkey balls!!! Hopw dare they update my cart and remove it[/quote]

you know. . .they removed it from my cart too, yet somehow I ended up getting two. . .confirmation emails and all. . .

[quote name='gambit2rebel']Dude they fucking suck donkey balls!!! Hopw dare they update my cart and remove it[/quote]

I know it sucks. I was at it since 7:40 and had it in my cart and they removed it. Oh well.

BTW what time did you add it to your cart?

[quote name='moonphrogg']you know. . .they removed it from my cart too, yet somehow I ended up getting two. . .confirmation emails and all. . .[/quote]

So did you end up buying 2?

I'm still hoping mine will reappear in my cart?:p

No online store prepare the demand like this. Even gamestop/EB server crashed. I was at the final stage at costco.com, click confirm or whatever the name of the button and got an error saying enter the CC security code. After I entered it I never be able to go to final page. Oh well. Wasted my time but it was interesting experience. Now we can sit down and think that deal with real person is much better than online :).

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I hope they will sell a new bundle with Resistance instead of Genji.[/QUOTE]

Agree, I am not really interested on Genji.

[quote name='Indonesia']Agree, I am not really interested on Genji.[/quote]

I think it may happen, Resistance isn't sold separately on the Costco.com website, neither is Genji.

[quote name='Indonesia']No online store prepare the demand like this. Even gamestop/EB server crashed. I was at the final stage at costco.com, click confirm or whatever the name of the button and got an error saying enter the CC security code. After I entered it I never be able to go to final page. Oh well. Wasted my time but it was interesting experience. Now we can sit down and think that deal with real person is much better than online :).[/QUOTE]
That's a good point. I know I was expecting just about what we got, although I didn't expect it to last for 5 hours. I was prepared for the server crashes, the long load times, the error pages, etc. What I find most puzzling is how Costco site actually worked. Its interesting that it kept the carts valid for so long. Alot of other sites would have killed that off after the first 30 minutes.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I hope they will sell a new bundle with Resistance instead of Genji.[/QUOTE]
How long did it take for them to switch out the Xbox 360 bundle? 6-7 months?

FWIW I noticed my AMEX got hit with an authorization so those with emails should be gtg if you haven't had a cancellation email. Good luck!

[quote name='Gerber']FWIW I noticed my AMEX got hit with an authorization so those with emails should be gtg if you haven't had a cancellation email. Good luck![/quote]

same here

Not yet but it appears my card has been hit as my credit limit is down the exact amount of the purchase price.

Can you tell from the tracking info costco.com gives you where the PS3 shipped from?

I missed out on the PS3, but am waiting for my Wii and am trying to figure out how long I'll have to wait once it ships...

Thanks!

:bouncy:

-- N

bread's done
Back