CPU hangs at improper speed?

mrExtreme

CAGiversary!
Alright, so it all started when I loaded up Warcraft III and The Frozen Throne (TFT) expansion onto my computer. About 70% of the time I'd play TFT the program would freeze up and I would have to restart my computer. Sometimes after restarting my computer it would freeze again, which meant that I'd have to restart it again, etc.

Also, sometimes my computer would boot up directly into the BIOS and would display a message that said something along the lines of "Your CPU has hang at an improper speed" and it would show that my CPU is running at 1200 mhz when it is supposed to be running at 1600 mhz. Then I would just go to the menu and select 1600 mhz and hit F10 to exit and save changes. So after that happened a few times, I finally got sick of it, so I uninstalled Warcraft III and TFT and my computer worked fine.

After that, I tried reinstalling Warcraft III and TFT to see if it would work, but the same problem kept occurring. So I uninstalled them again and then tried running disk cleanup and disk defragmenter. However, before I did that, I went into msconfig and switched to selective startup and unchecked the load startup items at start option. Then I ran disk cleanup and that was fine. Next I ran disk defragmenter and it got to 57% complete before freezing up and forcing me to restart again. When I restarted it booted up into the BIOS where I got the CPU hangs at improper speed again.

So finally my question is, does anyone know of a way to fix this problem? I thought it had something to do with Warcraft III and/or TFT, but since it occurred when neither of these programs were installed on my computer, it must be something else. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. I had Warcraft III and TFT installed on my computer about a year to a year and a half ago and it ran perfectly, but now it does not.

Freezing most likely is attributed to heat.

-Open up your case, clean out the dust bunnies with a vacuum (especially around the CPU and powersupply).
- Check the thermal paste on your CPU, it might of dried out and is 'caked' on. Clean off the CPU/HSF with some q-tips dipped in 70% alcohol then clean off with dry q-tips. Get yourself some Artic Silver and apply a THIN layer of thermal paste on the HSF and CPU. Smooth the paste with something flat like a credit card.
- Make sure the fan on the Video card and CPU are working. They should not be 'rattling' when they are on. If so, this is a sign of the bearings going bad. Replace the fan.

I agree, probably heat related problems. Checking heat sink/fans is definately the first thing to do CappyCobra is right on.
The BIOS forgetting your speed setting could also be a bad battery on your motherboard. There is a little battery that saves your bios settings on all motherboards. If that thing goes bad, it would "forget" your settings even though you told the BIOS to save the settings. It wouldn't hurt anything, just never remember your BIOS changes.

bread's done
Back