CPU Too Hot ?

JesusXL

CAGiversary!
I'm running a Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz.

At idle it is about 77 degrees celcius.

Is this normal...? I will post more specifications if it is necessary.

That is a bit too hot, even for a Prescott P4 CPU. Open your case up and see if the CPU fan and other case fans are spinning correctly. If you see a lot of dust, I would use a compressed air can and blow them out (while the computer is off, of course). If you see something wrong, such as the fan not spinning while the computer is turned on, post here again and we'll give you some solutions.

Thanks for your reply.

I only have one fan on my cpu, and it is running fine. I havn't really had problems with my pc until now. I use it to play games in the call of duty series up to 4 and it really isn't playable for me anymore. Here are my specs

3.4 Ghz Pentium 4 Processor
2gig RAM
400 watt xion power supply
80 Gig hard drive
geforce 9800gt

oh and windows xp professional sp2

What about the exhaust fan in the back of your case? Are you using an aftermarket cooler or the one that came with it? What kind of thermal compound did you use?

I've had cases where my back fan dies and the temp in my case starts to build up quickly. Different thermal pastes can change the temperature a few degrees, which helps when every little bit is needed. Also, thermal paste can also get old and powdery after a few years.

If the CPU fan is spinning ok, you should dust the entire case out. Get a $4 compressed air can and take your computer outside and blow all the dust out.

If your computer case allows you to install 1 or 2 case fans, I would look into it. If you take a picture of what the inside of your case looks like, maybe we can tell you how you can improve airflow in your computer.

I had this problem not too long ago. First off, where are you getting your information from? Is it a third party, or your BIOS? Also, you have to keep in mind that you have to take those measurements with a grain of salt. Some times, they are fully off. I had a mobo not too long ago that was reading ~90-110c idling! That would almost melt the board at that temperature.

Knowing that was just WAY to high, I threw caution into the wind, and guess what? The system ran fine, even played WoW and a few other games on it. My point in all this is try, if you can, to get a piece of hardware to tell you current temperature. I.E., a meat thermometer, an actual CPU thermometer [With a lead that attaches to a fin on the heatsink, attach it as close as possible to the base of it], or maybe even one of those temperature readers that come with that laser, not sure what those are called. [You point it at the object to be measured, and it'll tell you from up to, like, 100' away].

If that proves that the BIOS/third party software is correct, then, sadly, it may be time to look into either upgrading your CPU/mobo if it's running too hot, or more commonly, replace/examine the heatsink.

Check your mount for your CPU heatsink... is it loose? Does it take a fair amount of effort to move it? If it's loose such as you can pull the heatsink away from the CPU at ALL, it's the heatsink 'mating' with the CPU, it needs to be firmly on it when coupled. If the paste is not connecting the base of the heat sink, and with the metal plate on the CPU, then the heat is not conducting properly, and is being spent somewhere in-between the heatsink and the CPU, not a good thing.

With my old PC, I found just using cable ties was a cheap, efficient way to keep my CPU cool. [I somehow managed to damage the heatsink mount, one entire side was not connecting. x.x;;;] If you find that the mount is fully secure to the CPU mount/CPU, then, it's best to assume that, if the fan is moving at a good speed, and it's clean, then the heatsink/fan is a PoS, and needs replacing.

I hope this helps,
-Haz

bread's done
Back