Craigslist scam...Nigeria...

V4oLDbOY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
93 (100%)
I'm trying to sell my psp, I posted here and on craigslist. So i got am email from someone who asked if it was till available. I said it was and this is what I got...

Hello ,
Thanks, am much interested in it.. I want it for my step
son as gift for his upcoming graduation.. So am willing to offer you $250 plus shipping via USPS (EMS) express mail to him because he schools in a missionary in Nigeria.. Am out of town a the moment thats why i want you to help arrange for the shipping handling..Get back to me and also send me your paypal account address so i can send you the money there... I'll wait your reply.
Thanks .
Judith

Looks like a scam, but I'm gonna keep dialogue open and see how far I can get without sending the package, or without them figureing it out. i am interested in this because my friend recently got scammed. Same thing as this, but from england and with a smartphone. The guy sent him fake paypal confirm emails so he thought he was getting paid, he mailed it. Nothing in paypal account. Luckily the package never left the US so they mailed it back to him.

this is the email I am sending back.

Sure, my paypal is [email protected]. As soon as I receive payment and a proper address to send it to I'll ship it.

I am assuming they will want me to ship it first, or they will want me to set up all the shipping and get the pricing, then they'll send me a fake paypal email. And I'll be dumb enough to mail it.

[quote name='Sporadic']It's totally not a scam.

Go ahead and email him back your checking account number and SS# so he can send you some phat loot[/quote]

way ahead of you.

Is there anyway a scammer can screw with your paypal account when they have your paypal address?

Last edited by a moderator:
58552_paypal_scam_122_61lo.JPG

got the fake emails, nothing in paypal. I guess the main difference in the real ones versus the fake ones is that the fake ones are FROM NIGERIA. Also they always start with dear so-and-so, the ones I have all start with Hello not dear.
th_58552_paypal_scam_122_61lo.JPG
img.php
img.php

what? A scam involving nigeria? No way!

Seriously people stop posting questions about whether something involving shipping electronics to nigeria is a scam, its obvious.

I know a guy whose daughter sold some used college books to a guy in "England." Guy gave her way, way too much when he mailed a check. I'm thinking it was some shit where it bounces and the guy offers some other form of payment easy to scam somebody with. Like "Put the money in an envelope and meet my friend Vlad in the alley behind KFC at midnight...come alone."

I'd maybe offer to ship it to her (theoretically cheaper) and let her handle shipping it to her stepson herself. If this is legit, she'll play ball. Get the money first, whatever you do and ship with tracking if you can, so you can at least prove it was in the mail system if a PayPal dispute comes up.

Make it clear to her that you take no responsibility if it fails to arrive and instead falls off a plane and hits a little native boy in the head, then his village uses the PSP as a shared tool for many tasks until people get jealous of those whose turn it is to use it and start fighting amongst themselves, then they decide they should select a villager to go on a greaty journey with the PSP to throw it off the edge of the Earth so that the villagers lives may return to normal.

[quote name='MisterModest']What do the honest people in Nigeria think of all these scams? This is giving them a bad name![/quote]

WONT somebody think of the REAL NIGERIAN PRINCESS'!?!?!?

This one was pretty good too. I listed a Blizzcon mount for $250.

Hello my name is Paul,i am interested in buying your item listed on
CL,Please let me know if its still for sale and perhaps in good
condition and
I await your response and i will proceed with purchase if its still
for sale and in good condition .

Thanks

Paul

I tell him the card is unscratched, and I get this reply (from a different email address):

Thank for the prompt response to my mail. I will be buying from you so
please kindly withdraw the advert from CL. Please be informed that i
will be paying with a certified check from my Bank as i just moved
here from Glendale AZ on a job transfer.I will need the following
details to mail the payment later in the day ...

1.Name to be on the payment

2.Home address

3.Cell phone #
I am completely satisfied with the advert and the payment will be
delivered within 2-3 working days.** I use a hearing impaired phone #
and will receive your calls via email **

My CL ad stated that I only accept cash and local pick-up.

I emailed her back asking why do their scams always consist of nigeria. And not one of the other central African countries, like Ghana, or Ethiopia....no response yet.

Google the powerbook mac craigslist scam. I'd post it but I'm on my cell right now. It's a hilarious scam where the dude sent a binder with keyboard drawn on it to England where some people waited for the pickup guy to see his reaction. Of course the dude had to pay for the customs fee for his scam.

It's probably because the criminals are more organized in Nigeria to perform these sorts of scams. If a type of crime becomes popular enough, a whole industry will form. My guess is that they have some sort of network that shares scams, tricks and tips to perform in other countries "full of gullible people", so to speak.

[quote name='MisterModest']What do the honest people in Nigeria think of all these scams? This is giving them a bad name![/quote]

Everyone in Nigeria is a scammer, their entire economy is based on scamming gullible foreigners. That and Oil, but they know the oil will run out eventually, so they're thinking ahead.

They have scam schools, scam universities, some people even get home-scammed.

[quote name='JolietJake']That powerbook scam is hilarious.[/QUOTE]

I'm concerned about the end of the scam and jeff not being heard from again.
hmm

[quote name='Conroy']I'm concerned about the end of the scam and jeff not being heard from again.
hmm[/quote]

Please if someone attempts to scam me and send the a box of tissues and they waste $550, then bring it on I'm not scared, lol i would want to something similar but i wouldnt be able to jump through a bunch of hoops like that for a good laugh.

[quote name='benjamouth']Everyone in Nigeria is a scammer, their entire economy is based on scamming gullible foreigners. That and Oil, but they know the oil will run out eventually, so they're thinking ahead.

They have scam schools, scam universities, some people even get home-scammed.[/quote]

:rofl: This made me laugh.

I got the same type of scam when I tried to sell my PSP on CL.

bread's done
Back