craigslist trying to force random account sign-ups

Diosoth

CAGiversary!
It had to happen... sometimes I'm asked to sign up a craigslist account when I post an ad. I'm not even given it as an option, it's "sign up to continue" at teh captcha screen. The only way I seem able to bypass it is to go back and edit the ad's text. I don't know if it's the length of an ad, possible random keywords or what. If I luck out I can get by it with careful editing.

To top it off, you need an account to post on their flag help forum. You know, the forum people never know exists because it isn't linked to via the main page. The forum where all the flag topics go, because they don't belong in the "help forum", even though it's the only one people can ever find.

Why would I want an account? To skip the captcha? I'm not giving them my phone number for that. There is no benefit to an account, aside from making it easier for them to ban you if they want, typically if you get too many flags. Even though their flag system is broken and easy to abuse by random people. Someone thinks you're charging too much? Flag. Someone is selling the same thing you are but you're asking less? They will flag you.

They want us to open accounts for a site with practically no one running the thing or a will to try to improve the site. It's the same simplistic mess it was years ago.

So be watchful if you're trying to post an ad.

bread's done
Back