crap. My plasma tv just died.

kit352

CAGiversary!
Went out with a bang literaly. Was just watching games and i heard a pop and it was lights out. Probably blew a cap or something but its not worth fixing them. I havent shopped for a tv since i bought this one about 6 years ago so anyone got any suggestions? Id like it to be at least the 42in's the one that died was. Im also looking into lcd or led tv's to. trying to keep it under a g note too. This is also my main gaming tv too so its gotta do well in that area. Im hoping with all the sales going one I can score a really nice one for a decent price. Im really liking the panasonic viera 42 led smart tv. Can be had for a song right now.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P42S30 seems right up your ally. I have the 2010 model I believe, and I couldn't be happier for the price.

There are floating blacks during dark movies. Some people notice it and some apparently don't. I do but I'll take the better colors and black level (when the goddamn thing is not floating) that plasma provides.

I must admit that my old Sony CRT blows it away though. I don't think any LED/LCD or plasma television can touch CRT for gaming.

[quote name='Spokker']Panasonic VIERA TC-P42S30 seems right up your ally. I have the 2010 model I believe, and I couldn't be happier for the price.

There are floating blacks during dark movies. Some people notice it and some apparently don't. I do but I'll take the better colors and black level (when the goddamn thing is not floating) that plasma provides.

I must admit that my old Sony CRT blows it away though. I don't think any LED/LCD or plasma television can touch CRT for gaming.[/QUOTE]

What? Dude, newer tech blows CRT away incredibly. No chance that your CRT looks better. Now, for the OP, go with an LCD. Walmart has a westinghouse 40" with LED and 120Hz for $379 and free shipping. Good deal, IMO.

Ive actually got an older sony wega that i use for last gen games in another room. Picture is great but its just not up to playing the new games. Those older crt's do have the better picture to as long as you dont try to pull the hd card. On sd all the plasmas and lcd's are trying to match there contrast and color levels. they have them beat on resolution though.
I do like the viera but Im seeing some troubling reviews. The black artifacting has me concerned. Im fairly sensitive to those color qualitys becuase it just annoys me to no end. Ill never not see it once i notice it. I may just grab one anyway and try it out. Ive got to have something soon or my others will kill me.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']What? Dude, newer tech blows CRT away incredibly. No chance that your CRT looks better. Now, for the OP, go with an LCD. Walmart has a westinghouse 40" with LED and 120Hz for $379 and free shipping. Good deal, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Errr, wrong. Put in a movie that does really deep blacks and you'll see how LCD's and backlit LED LCD's are complete shit when it comes to blacks, from Plasmas and to CRT's especially. It's really too fucking bad SED's(essentially flat screen CRT's) were not allowed to get into the market thanks to the assholes who Canon licensed some of the tech. from, especially since Toshiba were working on it since like 1988.
Since all the other tech. that would come close or match SED has been shitcanned(FED, etc.) or died due to people being too fucking stingy to buy a great TV(Pioneer Kuro) we have to wait for OLED's to get big or see if Laser TV's actually fill the promise of proper blacks.
I know the latter is out on the market but only one company I know of makes them and I've heard almost no reviews on them really.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sarang01']Errr, wrong. Put in a movie that does really deep blacks and you'll see how LCD's and backlit LED LCD's are complete shit when it comes to blacks, from Plasmas and to CRT's especially. It's really too fucking bad SED's(essentially flat screen CRT's) were not allowed to get into the market thanks to the assholes who Canon licensed some of the tech. from, especially since Toshiba were working on it since like 1988.
Since all the other tech. that would come close or match SED has been shitcanned(FED, etc.) or died due to people being too fucking stingy to buy a great TV(Pioneer Kuro) we have to wait for OLED's to get big or see if Laser TV's actually fill the promise of proper blacks.
I know the latter is out on the market but only one company I know of makes them and I've heard almost no reviews on them really.[/QUOTE]

Nerd alert :)

OP, why wouldn't you at least to attempt to replace the caps yourself? I fixed my Samsung just three weeks ago by replacing some blown caps. I had very little soldering experience and didn't have an issue.

[quote name='Sarang01']Errr, wrong. Put in a movie that does really deep blacks and you'll see how LCD's and backlit LED LCD's are complete shit when it comes to blacks, from Plasmas and to CRT's especially. It's really too fucking bad SED's(essentially flat screen CRT's) were not allowed to get into the market thanks to the assholes who Canon licensed some of the tech. from, especially since Toshiba were working on it since like 1988.
I know the latter is out on the market but only one company I know of makes them and I've heard almost no reviews on them really.[/QUOTE]

So, I'm just wondering, did these SED's do HD? Because if they didn't, you have no ground to stand on. It's great if they do deep black, but if everything else is an ill-defined blob, they're pretty useless to me. I prefer the clearer, sharper image of the things I'm supposed to see, rather than those I'm not. However, if they could do HD, then I'd be all for the replacement, but it seems much more expensive, compared with today's tech.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']So, I'm just wondering, did these SED's do HD? Because if they didn't, you have no ground to stand on. It's great if they do deep black, but if everything else is an ill-defined blob, they're pretty useless to me. I prefer the clearer, sharper image of the things I'm supposed to see, rather than those I'm not. However, if they could do HD, then I'd be all for the replacement, but it seems much more expensive, compared with today's tech.[/QUOTE]

Yes they did, hence the CRT flat screen comment. It was basically the CRT gun chopped up and spread out accordingly through the back of the TV screen. The contrast ratio was insane, like 1:000:000:1, this was back at the beginning of days of HD DVD or shortly after.

[quote name='Sarang01']Yes they did, hence the CRT flat screen comment. It was basically the CRT gun chopped up and spread out accordingly through the back of the TV screen. The contrast ratio was insane, like 1:000:000:1, this was back at the beginning of days of HD DVD or shortly after.[/QUOTE]

Well, if they displayed HD content, then I'd be with you, though I don't think contrast ratio is ever a selling point, much more just a number used to make it seem better. Honestly though, without being able to compare the two, I'm still siding with today's tech.

[quote name='Sarang01']It was HD.[/QUOTE]

That's fantastic, but without being able to compare the two, I have to assume that it died for a relevant reason, just as HD-DVD lost to Blu-ray because it was better. While it may have had specs comparable to today's tech, it was probably very bulky, expensive, and not designed very well, aesthetically. There had to have been reasons, is all I'm saying. Now, if I could compare them, and see that the old stuff really was that much better (still doubting it was more that just a bit better), so that it would outweigh the other flaws, I'd go with that. However, since I can't, I'm going to stick to my 42" LCD that does HD perfectly, is lightweight, and aesthetically pleasing.

[quote name='Sarang01']It was HD.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused as to what a "flat screen" CRT is. My room mate bought a TV advertised as a Flat screen many years ago; which in reality was a standard CRT with a flat screen instead of the old school beveled one. It was still like a hundred and fifty pounds and two feet deep. Is that what you are refering to?

[quote name='GBAstar']I'm confused as to what a "flat screen" CRT is. My room mate bought a TV advertised as a Flat screen many years ago; which in reality was a standard CRT with a flat screen instead of the old school beveled one. It was still like a hundred and fifty pounds and two feet deep. Is that what you are refering to?[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know this also.

[quote name='Solid Scarecrow']poor op just got a history of hd tvs!! lol[/QUOTE]

Haha! I'm just trying to figure this out, lol! Seems kind of silly that people would just kill off a better tech for no reason, no?

I play lots of games in 3d. Ive got a 50" samsung plasma 3d. highly recomend 3d for gaming since you wont have to play any extra for it these days. got mine for 1000 from best buy last january.

Yeah, the HD CRT TV's died off as people don't want big bulky super heavy TVs anymore. Plus people want big screens. I had a 27" CRT Sony Wega that weighed around 100lbs. Imagine how heavy the damn things would be for the 50"+ TVs most people have these days.....

I've never been much of a videophile type myself, so I don't obsess over black level and all that crap or really see all that much difference from one HDTV type to the next personally.

I currently have a 50" Sony Wega 720p RPTV that's still doing just fine. If it broke I'd probably go for a 55 or 60" LED LCD 1080p set.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mtxbass1']OP, why wouldn't you at least to attempt to replace the caps yourself? I fixed my Samsung just three weeks ago by replacing some blown caps. I had very little soldering experience and didn't have an issue.[/QUOTE]

I would but i cant actually see any bad cap. Ive got the entire set in pieces on my bench and i can see anything physically wront with it. Ive started playing with a meter on it but even then i dont see anything wrong. Things get power but wont turn on.

I actually ended up getting the panasonic viera 50in plasma the other day. Im currently conditioning it in so i cant really do to much to it until thats done. should have it ready sometime next week to play on. Looks good so far but my colors are all muted for the time being.

[quote name='DurbanBrown']I play lots of games in 3d. Ive got a 50" samsung plasma 3d. highly recomend 3d for gaming since you wont have to play any extra for it these days. got mine for 1000 from best buy last january.[/QUOTE]

I really wanted a 3d tv but I was counting on my old plasma to last at least another year or two so the tech would stabilize. I did try our a few and some worked well and some didnt. I know the nintendo 3ds tech is leaking over to the display world so i know thatll come up in a few years so I was pretty much planning on getting something like that down the road. sadly my plasma didnt care for that thinking and killed itself so i had to buy now. I got the panny 50in plasma viera to hold me off till new tech gets better. It was cheap has good reviews and is still a huge stepup from my last tv. As long as i get 3 or 4 years out of it ill be happy.

[quote name='Javery']Man I wish my plasma TV would die. I really really want to get a new one.[/QUOTE]

Why not buy a new one and sell your current one on Craigslist to at least defray some of the cost? Better than having it die and not recouping any money!

[quote name='dmaul1114']Why not buy a new one and sell your current one on Craigslist to at least defray some of the cost? Better than having it die and not recouping any money![/QUOTE]

Good idea but the TV on the wall is the last one I'm ever allowed to buy according to the wife.

[quote name='Javery']Good idea but the TV on the wall is the last one I'm ever allowed to buy according to the wife.[/QUOTE]

Say you're making another arcade machine for your daughter. :wink:

The GF and I still have CRTs, the colors rock. Missing out on some clarity that we'd get from a high def TV, but the tradeoff has prevented us (well... me, at least) from upgrading. Blu-Rays look really rich on our sets, especially.

picking up crt tvs is part of my job
I'll never have another one of those bastards in my home again.
i'd jsut get another plasma again tho since its cheaper and ya can get a 3ds style tv ina bout 3 years :)

I ran a top of the line sony CRT HDTV for a long time, the colors are better and fluidity is WAY smoother on CRT, but otherwise its nowhere near as good as modern tech. Especially for sharpness, its not even comparable, CRT even in HD's top is a blurry mess compared to a nice 1:1 pixel mapped lcd.

p.s. - my suggestion is a Passive 3DTV for your new set. If you are going to go 3D, make sure its passive (most LG/All Vizio). If you are going to end up with a Active shutter 3DTV, i'd just go one step lower and get the non-3d version, active shutter is a horrific experience and should be avoided at all cost.

[quote name='DurbanBrown']I play lots of games in 3d. Ive got a 50" samsung plasma 3d. highly recomend 3d for gaming since you wont have to play any extra for it these days. got mine for 1000 from best buy last january.[/QUOTE]

I have a 55" Sony Bravia 3D from 2011. I would disagree. I have not tried one game where the 3D added anything to the experience, other than Tumble.

I would never buy a plasma tv. They are filled with gas unlike the LED or LCDs. Also NEVER lay a plasma tv horizontal, it will ruin it. I hate plasma tvs for that reason.

[quote name='VAN1SH1NG PO1NT']NEVER lay a plasma tv horizontal, it will ruin it. I hate plasma tvs for that reason.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Do you hang your TVs on the ceiling or something?

Plasma displays aren't filled with gas. They use cells filled with plasma, which should be obvious given the name.

[quote name='Javery']LOL. Do you hang your TVs on the ceiling or something?[/QUOTE]

No but I used to load them into customers cars a couple years ago. We had them sign no n fault wavier incase the tv was ruined from transport that way. because you wouldn't believe how many people wanted to transport a 50 inch plasma on its back because they couldn't fit it vertically in their vechicle.

[quote name='Clak']Plasma displays aren't filled with gas. They use cells filled with plasma, which should be obvious given the name.[/QUOTE]

Actually you are incorrect. A plasma display panel (PDP) is a type of flat panel display common to large TV displays 30 inches (76 cm) or larger. They are called "plasma" displays because the technology utilizes small cells containing electrically charged ionized gases, or what are in essence chambers more commonly known as fluorescent lamps.

[quote name='VAN1SH1NG PO1NT']Actually you are incorrect. A plasma display panel (PDP) is a type of flat panel display common to large TV displays 30 inches (76 cm) or larger. They are called "plasma" displays because the technology utilizes small cells containing electrically charged ionized gases, or what are in essence chambers more commonly known as fluorescent lamps.[/QUOTE]
Cool you can wiki. Newsflash genius, what do you think an ionized gas is? Yeah, plasma.

Here, since you like wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_%28physics%29

[quote name='Clak']Cool you can wiki. Newsflash genius, what do you think an ionized gas is? Yeah, plasma.

Here, since you like wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_%28physics%29[/QUOTE]
Everybody uses wikipedia from time to time. It's not like u never used it. Also my statement about the tv being filled with a gas is true. Since plasma is in a gas matter state. Even tho, I may have not of referred to it as it's proper name "plasma" in any post.

[quote name='Clak']...plasma is the 4th state of matter, it isn't gas, otherwise there would be no distinction.[/QUOTE]

No, the cells are filled with a gas that becomes ionized to become plasma. It's not as if they can't go back and forth between the two. Then ice wouldn't melt, and water wouldn't freeze.

[quote name='van1sh1ng po1nt']no but i used to load them into customers cars a couple years ago. We had them sign no n fault wavier incase the tv was ruined from transport that way. Because you wouldn't believe how many people wanted to transport a 50 inch plasma on its back because they couldn't fit it vertically in their vechicle.[/quote]

i bought mine and transfered on its back. Only issues with this is breaking the front glass. As long as your careful there is nothing to worry about.

There are such hysterics over laying plasma TVs on their backs. Guys on AV forums tell tall tales that leaving a plasma TV on its back for only a second will ruin it. As long as you don't go off-roading with it, lay the damn TV on its back and move on with your life.

bread's done
Back