Craziest/Funnies thing you've ever heard from an EB/GameStop employee

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Speaking of Gamestop, my Gamestop had me SO upset today, that after I pick up my Wild Arms 5 preorder, I'm NEVER preordering another game from them. I'm even going to pass up on getting Growlanser: Heritage of War (PS2) after upsetting me so much.

They might have thought it was funny, but not me (It relates to something I removed a friend on my Facebook for doing once).[/QUOTE]

it sounds like a diehard ff7 fan who dresses like aerith all the time getting owned and then swearing of that store for the rest of their life....

ROFL lets all laught at the noob!

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Speaking of Gamestop, my Gamestop had me SO upset today, that after I pick up my Wild Arms 5 preorder, I'm NEVER preordering another game from them. I'm even going to pass up on getting Growlanser: Heritage of War (PS2) after upsetting me so much.

They might have thought it was funny, but not me (It relates to something I removed a friend on my Facebook for doing once).[/quote]

It must be something that makes you look bad, as you won't tell us what happened. Don't worry, we won't make fun you... much.

Ok, here's the stupid gamestop manager boast of the day:

So, me and my brother walk into a local gamestop, just to look around. So, my brother, who's been looking for a Nintendo Wii for a while now, inquires about the shortage, despite me telling him that Nintendo is purposely keeping it low. So anyway, the manager at this gamestop decides to bullshit my brother by exclaiming that the Wii is the best selling console in history. He went on to try and make fun of my brother by going "I mean, how do you expect to find on when in 8 months, it's already sold more than the PS2 in 7 years!!!?!??!?" Immediately after walking out, I told my brother that the manager their was a short bus kid.

I have a sad employee story.

I went to pick up my Bioshock LE on Tuesday and had a conversation with the guy working there about it. He was stuck at work all day and wouldn't be able to play it until that evening. Poor guy.

Seriously, though, the EB around here is great.

-Shortly before the PS2 came out I was at Gamestop buying a stack of Dreamcast fighting games for $20 each

GS Guy: "Man, why are you buying these? Dreamcast is GAY! You should save up for PS2, its gonna be so swee-
Me: (cutting him off mid-sentence) "Do you want this money?" *waving wad of cash*
GS Guy: "w-whaa?"
Me: "Do you want this money? If you don't shut up and ring up my games, I'm leaving."
GS Guy: ".......that'll be $59.99...."

-This one's a little strange, mostly because it was my first time back in America in over a year and a half:

*GS Guy rings up my games, I pay, dude hands me the games*
Me: Thanks.
GS Guy: Thank you. ENJOY YOUR DAY!
Me: Yeah you to- wait, what?
GS Guy: Huh?
Me: What'd you just say?
GS Guy: .......enjoy your day....?
Me: Oh....uh......you too....
*I walk of the store confused*

Sounds dumb, I know, but prior to that day, I had NEVER heard anyone say anything other than "Have a nice day!" when I was leaving a store.
But EVERYWHERE I went last December, I heard "Enjoy your day!"
When the hell did that become the new phrase??

It just really caught me off guard. :lol:

[quote name='Gameboy415']-Shortly before the PS2 came out I was at Gamestop buying a stack of Dreamcast fighting games for $20 each

GS Guy: "Man, why are you buying these? Dreamcast is GAY! You should save up for PS2, its gonna be so swee-
Me: (cutting him off mid-sentence) "Do you want this money?" *waving wad of cash*
GS Guy: "w-whaa?"
Me: "Do you want this money? If you don't shut up and ring up my games, I'm leaving."
GS Guy: ".......that'll be $59.99...."

[/QUOTE]
Heh, that sounds like a penny arcade comic.

[quote name='Gameboy415']
-This one's a little strange, mostly because it was my first time back in America in over a year and a half:

*GS Guy rings up my games, I pay, dude hands me the games*
Me: Thanks.
GS Guy: Thank you. ENJOY YOUR DAY!
Me: Yeah you to- wait, what?
GS Guy: Huh?
Me: What'd you just say?
GS Guy: .......enjoy your day....?
Me: Oh....uh......you too....
*I walk of the store confused*

Sounds dumb, I know, but prior to that day, I had NEVER heard anyone say anything other than "Have a nice day!" when I was leaving a store.
But EVERYWHERE I went last December, I heard "Enjoy your day!"
When the hell did that become the new phrase??

It just really caught me off guard. :lol:[/QUOTE]

December, might have been some temps or something during the holiday season, or maybe its just the xmas spirit?

I walked into a EB in the middle of summer, whith nothing in my hand and the employee says, "What did you bring to trade in today?"

Prelude: I am 22 years old and look 25 at youngest.

Going into Gamestop: I pick up the Persona 3 strategy guide on my break from work intending to get in and out as quick as possible.

Pimply faced employee: Asks his manager if he needs to check my ID, clearly and audibly in front of me, then asks me for my ID, and I laugh.

You probably had to be there, but it was funny to me.

Picked up the new DS, the guy was so clueless and was lost in space, I gave him two hundreds and he just stared at them for about 2 minutes. Then after the transaction he just hands me the box, no reciept and no bag, I just sat there waiting and finally said, "How bout a reciept?"

Games I've been told by the employees at the crappy EB Games I'll need to preorder in the past year or so in order to ever get them:

God of War II
Gears of War
Kingdom Hearts II
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Super Paper Mario
Madden 07/08
New Super Mario Bros.
LoZ: Twilight Princess (Wii)
Metroid Prime 3
Guitar Hero 2
Odin Sphere
Disgaea 2

What I was advised against preordering, as there would be plenty available:

The Nintendo Wii

Finally I have a story. Yesterday my little sister brought her DS Phat to gamestop to do the trade in deal where you give them your old ds and 79.99 for a new DSL (keep in mind that I had only heard of the promotion on CAG not in a GS store). So my mom asks some girl if they are running the sale and the girl just looked at us dumbfounded. So she asks this other guy if they are doing the sale and the guys like "I have no clue...".

So I move slightly to the left of the girl that works there and theres this 3' by 6" banner on the little "island" with the accesories RIGHT NEXT TO HER HEAD that says "trade in your old DS and 79.99 for a DSL". So im like "oh, you guys are doing the sale, its on that poster ". So the girl just stares at the poster for 10 seconds and then says "I dont know is it?". Then she calls over the other guy who finally agrees.

I just thought the whole thing was pretty funny. Oh, and a heads up for the deal, they charge you tax over the 129.99 not over the 79.99.

[quote name='unicron129'] I just thought the whole thing was pretty funny. Oh, and a heads up for the deal, they charge you tax over the 129.99 not over the 79.99.[/quote]

No they don't.

[quote name='JadedJedi']I walked into a EB in the middle of summer, whith nothing in my hand and the employee says, "What did you bring to trade in today?"[/QUOTE]

That's usually standard EB/GS employee policy.

Yes I have had that happened to me a few years ago, took one step into the door and just before I cleared it, the guy hammered me with that question. I should have just said, "yes...but they are actually at your parents house so give me the keys to your car and your house I will go get them!"

I dare someone to say that to them and see what they do lol.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I dare someone to say that to them and see what they do lol.[/quote]

They would probably look at you like you're retarded. That wasn't funny at all.

[quote name='unicron129']

So I move slightly to the left of the girl that works there and theres this 3' by 6" banner on the little "island" with the accesories RIGHT NEXT TO HER HEAD that says "trade in your old DS and 79.99 for a DSL". So im like "oh, you guys are doing the sale, its on that poster ". So the girl just stares at the poster for 10 seconds and then says "I dont know is it?". Then she calls over the other guy who finally agrees. [/quote]

this exact thing happened to me too.

[quote name='zerowing']Picked up the new DS, the guy was so clueless and was lost in space, I gave him two hundreds and he just stared at them for about 2 minutes. Then after the transaction he just hands me the box, no reciept and no bag, I just sat there waiting and finally said, "How bout a reciept?"[/QUOTE]

I like to imagine he was just giving your money the anti-counterfeit-once-over, but his later actions suggest he was stalling so it looked like an anti-counterfeit-once-over, when he didn't really even know what he should be looking at. :lol:

[quote name='reibeatall']No they don't.[/quote]

Well according to the receipt my sister got and how much extra she had to pay they do.

i asked for Jet Set Radio Future, and they told me to look in PS2 section
also, i reserved so many games (since i hate them asking me to reserve crap for five minutes) that i had enough money to buy a new game.
i swear they were actually begging me not to take off the reservations lol

[quote name='reibeatall']No they don't.[/quote]
Yes, they do.

They ring up the DSL as $129.99, use the regular DS as $50 store and you pay $79.99. Since you're not paying for it all with store credit, you have to pay tax. Game Crazy uses the same method.

[quote name='xGunCrazyx']i asked for Jet Set Radio Future, and they told me to look in PS2 section
also, i reserved so many games (since i hate them asking me to reserve crap for five minutes) that i had enough money to buy a new game.
i swear they were actually begging me not to take off the reservations lol[/QUOTE]

Well it goes against there numbers, so obviously they dont want to have negatives

Before I figured out never to buy a shrinkwrapped game from them again, I'd purchased a "new" game only to find that underneath the shrinkwrap was a case that still had price sticker glue on it and concealed a disc with smudges and scratches.

When I confronted the store clerk, she had the audacity to insist that it was in fact a brand new game and say, "That's how it came from the manufacturer."

[quote name='Scorch']They would probably look at you like you're retarded. That wasn't funny at all.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be funny... but to annoy me before I can clear a door you bet your ass I am going to be pissed off. Now if he is retarded enough to give me the keys to his car and house... now that would be one hell of a story to tell.

I would just turn around and walk out the door, and buy the game online or at the store next door, a few days of waiting for an online purchase or going to the store next door is not going to kill me. If it was a preordered game then I would first cancel the preorder then go to another store.

I've had the same thing happen to me with them mentioning I need to pre-order a game, because I'll never find it if I don't pre-order. Mine was Guitar Hero: 80's, they were convinced that I wouldn't be able to find it at all. I'm like, do you know how many stores are within a small driving distance from me that are almost guaranteed to have this game? :roll:

But the worst was when I was buying a bunch of used games from somewhere. Now I'm a collector, so when I get games, I check that the disc is in perfect or very near perfect condition, the instructions are intact, and the rest of it is good as well. So I had a giant stack of games I wanted to look at, and I bring them up there. They must have thought WOW at first. But I have to check each one, so the guy gets annoyed the more I do this. You'd think he'd be stoked that I'm getting so much, but he's visibly not.

We go through a whole bunch of things, I ask if they have more copies of x game, he and the other guy say, "Maybe we do, maybe we don't" after I had refused to purchase a protection plan on the games, and told my friend to not do it either. I finally say, okay, fine you want me to get them somewhere else? At that point he gets super super mad, but he plays it calm, so he's just seething under the surface.

I forget what else happened, but I know that enough bad stuff happened just on that one transaction to make me never want to go to that store ever again.

On the upside the closest EB to me now has to be the NICEST store ever. They don't try to sell me crap, the guys (and supercute girl) in there actually know their stuff and will actually be straight with me if I ask them how a game is. Only pre-order they ever tried to sell me was Rock Band. Which was a smart move, because they knew what I liked, and that is the type of game that you absolutely need to pre-order because that $200 bundle isn't likely to just be laying out everywhere.

My EB guys are kick ass. We talked for like 10 minutes about Gameboy and the Neon signs That I wanted, Then i asked about guitar hero stickers that were on the counter and they were like "does he want them" "yea" "w/e you can have them just don't tell anyone"

[quote name='tangytangerine']They ring up the DSL as $129.99, use the regular DS as $50 store and you pay $79.99. Since you're not paying for it all with store credit, you have to pay tax. Game Crazy uses the same method.[/quote]

Yes, but GameCrazy charges tax on the portion you pay. GC would charge tax on the 79.99, not the 129.99.

Cause of the way I dress, I sometimes get mistaking for working at those locations. I've at least been asked twice to help in Best Buy.

Now that the back story has been layed, I was out at the Toy's R Us picking up a few games that had a great drop in price for the 360 (Thanks to you guys....or curse you for making me use money). Either way standing in line there is a lady infront of us who is about to buy a 360 for her child. She doesn't know much about the subject in hand and really was relying on the sales person and her kid on what to actually buy. He was pushing a core system, HDD, 2 extra controllers, batteries (not the charger), and the cherry on the cake, a memory card.

After like 10 minutes; we're slow shoppers, she turns and see's that we have 360 games in our hand and ask for help. After basicly telling her what to really get (hardware wise) we come up to the insurance plan. Now BB you can basicly switch your system right there in the store (This was last year) and we already had one system die on us around the time so we knew this system was hit or miss.

TRU has a mail in service, you couldn't pick up a new system that day so basicly a 400 plus? sale was moved over to BB and I can feel this sence of hate coming from the managment and all cameras focused on us. My buddy and myself quickly hurried out of there and haven't been there since. Around 6 months time is long enough for them to forget about me....right?

[quote name='Byrd']Cause of the way I dress, I sometimes get mistaking for working at those locations. I've at least been asked twice to help in Best Buy.

Now that the back story has been layed, I was out at the Toy's R Us picking up a few games that had a great drop in price for the 360 (Thanks to you guys....or curse you for making me use money). Either way standing in line there is a lady infront of us who is about to buy a 360 for her child. She doesn't know much about the subject in hand and really was relying on the sales person and her kid on what to actually buy. He was pushing a core system, HDD, 2 extra controllers, batteries (not the charger), and the cherry on the cake, a memory card.

After like 10 minutes; we're slow shoppers, she turns and see's that we have 360 games in our hand and ask for help. After basicly telling her what to really get (hardware wise) we come up to the insurance plan. Now BB you can basicly switch your system right there in the store (This was last year) and we already had one system die on us around the time so we knew this system was hit or miss.

TRU has a mail in service, you couldn't pick up a new system that day so basicly a 400 plus? sale was moved over to BB and I can feel this sence of hate coming from the managment and all cameras focused on us. My buddy and myself quickly hurried out of there and haven't been there since. Around 6 months time is long enough for them to forget about me....right?[/QUOTE]

that's exactly what I would have done. When I worked retail, I NEVER told a customer that they needed shit they didn't actually need. TRU employee's don't work on Commission. When I was an AM at Radio Shack, yea I try to sell accessories so I can get the extra spiffs, but only WHAT THEY NEED!! So for example if I sold a cell phone, I would convince them to get a carrying case with clip, a handsfree headset and car charger. That's all they really need. And if they said no, really insist on the case because it makes so much of a difference in protecting the phone. I'd rather have my case take the brunt of bumping or dropping then the phone. If it wasn't for my case, my phone would be scratched up/damaged by now :(

my eb/gs workers told me they were all fired becuase they had worked there too long and were making too much! Ha! And the company wanted to hire new people who knew nothing so they could pay less!

Against my better judgment, I went into EB games this morning and picked up a used gamecube for my nephew. Wow they really DON'T package this thing well..just shove everything in the box. Seemed ok, but I will test it tonight.

Anyways when I asked if they had any Component cables , I got this weird look by the eb games guy and he responded "Nintendo NEVER MADE Component cables for the Gamecube"..my reply was "You sure about that?"

Although no longer for sale, NINTENDO did make one
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...currency=USD&storeId=10001&ddkey=ProductCheck

I also told him that he better talk to his DM about this and get better trained on it Nintendo products.

I walked out laughing at such an idiot.

I always keep getting the preorder shakedown. You will never find this game in this lifetime unless you preorder, that's what they tell me. One time, I had a GS employee damn near corner me to pre-order Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. Then after the 15th "NO!!!", he said I would have a hard time finding a copy after launch. 2 days after the launch while wandering into the Walmart Electronics Dept., I see not one but 10 coples of Diamond and Pearl each. Goes to show you that EB/GS is full of it. That is their crime and it is also their punishment.

[quote name='ITDEFX']
Anyways when I asked if they had any Component cables , I got this weird look by the eb games guy and he responded "Nintendo NEVER MADE Component cables for the Gamecube"..my reply was "You sure about that?"

Although no longer for sale, NINTENDO did make one
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...currency=USD&storeId=10001&ddkey=ProductCheck

I also told him that he better talk to his DM about this and get better trained on it Nintendo products.

I walked out laughing at such an idiot.[/QUOTE]

Well of course they did. I'm still using mine ;). (You need to make sure the GC you have supports it, though, as they removed that capability later in the console's life).

I overheard a GS employee doing the right thing the other day. It was a good trip overall as I got the 30% bonus and 20% preorder bonus stacked along with my Edge card and got boatloads of credit. The other clerk was helping a woman buy some games for her kids. Sure, he pushed the used instead of new thing on her but that's no surprise. But then she asked about Guitar Hero III and whether she should preorder it or not. Of course, you know that got the guy salivating ;). But in this case it is probably a good idea as the kid wanted it for his birthday which was right around when it came out. So she put a preorder down. Kudos for the GS clerk for not harassing her about preorders before that though - she was the one who brought it up and he actually, probably, did her a favor in this case. That's the way it SHOULD go at these stores!

When I bought Rune Factory at GS they seriously tried to get me to buy Bratz. Bratz is for...7 year olds? I'm in college.:roll:

I had to move up to Seattle WA from San Diego CA for college, and I forgot that I had a TON of things pre-ordered. So I went to Gamestop and checked, and it ended up being about $30 worth! The manager and I were talking, but he was being a real ass to me saying how much Seattle University wasn't a good school and that it's the suicide capital of the world, and blah blah blah. I cancelled a good 6 or 7 pre-orders on that guy LOL! fucking screwed! He gave me the whole whiney shpeel on how it made his numbers look really bad. Whatever.

[quote name='Nealocus123']I cancelled a good 6 or 7 pre-orders on that guy LOL! fucking screwed! He gave me the whole whiney shpeel on how it made his numbers look really bad. Whatever.[/QUOTE]

But what does he expect you to do if you are moving? See, they need to have a way of transferring preorders to different stores without penalizing the clerk or customer. Otherwise this HAS to happen when people move or whatever.

And don't let him give you grief about Seattle. I live near Portland - sure, it rains a bit here (and more so in Seattle), but it's not THAT bad. Of course, coming from San Diego, of all places, it may be more of a shock. I moved here from Tucson, though, and it wasn't overwhelming. It's nice to be able to go outside during the summer - not possible 5 months out of the year in Tucson, anyway ;).

Do you want to preorder this game?
This is what they said about the new donkey kong game that is coming out for the ds when I asked about the release day. I told them I would not have a hard time finding a donkey kong game.

its kinda funny when you get the dumbasses when you ask Ps2 only games such as God of War 2 or Final Fantasy 12 & they still ask "For what System?"

[quote name='joker______']its kinda funny when you get the dumbasses when you ask Ps2 only games such as God of War 2 or Final Fantasy 12 & they still ask "For what System?"[/QUOTE]

This is done as precaution, and honestly (also personally), mostly out of habit.

You'd be surprised how many times that seemingly-ridiculous question helps out. Half the time when I'd just check and pull out the game for them, some customers will just stare at me like I'm crazy and then say something about wanting it for Xbox, to make GoW2 a popular example.

However, that's just me. I had to correct a coworker one day that was telling someone, being completely serious, that Halo 3 would be cross-platform and on the PS3 on the 25th. Ugh.

I've reported at least three Maine employees for being assholes. I pretty much hate them all, and I advise against shopping at a GS/EB in Maine.

One time, someone whom the clerk was friends with just picked up a soundtrack and walked out the store with it. I tried to do the same because I thought they were free, and this asshole says I'm stealing merchandise. It turns out it really WAS free, and he wanted me to buy the game to go along with it. Later on, the same guy wouldn't allow me to return a PS1 game that didn't work, even though I returned it in 3 days. I asked the manager to do it instead.

Another time, I was in the Bangor, ME location, and this bitch told me directly to my face that "there will never be a sale involving Donkey Kong and the DK Bongos." The other clerk said, "Well yes, there will be next week." She snapped at him and told him to shut up.

In Waterville, ME, at this time last year, everyone was talking about how retarded the Wii is and how nobody will want to buy it. Now, they all talk about wanting to play Metroid Prime 3.

[quote name='Blade']I've reported at least three Maine employees for being assholes. I pretty much hate them all, and I advise against shopping at a GS/EB in Maine.

One time, someone whom the clerk was friends with just picked up a soundtrack and walked out the store with it. I tried to do the same because I thought they were free, and this asshole says I'm stealing merchandise. It turns out it really WAS free, and he wanted me to buy the game to go along with it. Later on, the same guy wouldn't allow me to return a PS1 game that didn't work, even though I returned it in 3 days. I asked the manager to do it instead.

Another time, I was in the Bangor, ME location, and this bitch told me directly to my face that "there will never be a sale involving Donkey Kong and the DK Bongos." The other clerk said, "Well yes, there will be next week." She snapped at him and told him to shut up.

In Waterville, ME, at this time last year, everyone was talking about how retarded the Wii is and how nobody will want to buy it. Now, they all talk about wanting to play Metroid Prime 3.[/quote]

Good thing I've never come across a gs/ebs on my way to Bucksport Maine. Sounds like I'd want to stab some of the people that work there.

Why the hell are they so annal about anything outside of a customer buying a used game/pre ordering?

Seriously, someone needs to do a hidden camera investigation.

I got the craziest story from GS right here:

I bought a preowned God of War (non-GH) The clerk didn't ask me to preorder anything or sell me any fluff. He was nice, talkitive, very informed, and didn't look down on me. As a bonus the game & case was in perfect condition. What the hell is going on with that GS, somebody needs to properly train this guy.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I got the craziest story from GS right here:

I bought a preowned God of War (non-GH) The clerk didn't ask me to preorder anything or sell me any fluff. He was nice, talkitive, very informed, and didn't look down on me. As a bonus the game & case was in perfect condition. What the hell is going on with that GS, somebody needs to properly train this guy.[/quote]

That's bullshit. Can't believe he didn't get you to preorder some game that you will "never find elsewhere" when it comes out. :roll:

bread's done
Back