Credit Cards: Extended Warranty or Discounts?

levander

CAGiversary!
I'm about to buy two iPads for $600 each in the next couple of months. It seems like I can either get a 5% discount on them (Discover) or an extra year warranty (some Visa cards). And actually, I think some of the Visas give 1% discount, so Discover wouldn't only be an extra 4% discount...

What do you guys think the better deal is? The warranty or the discount?

I'm surprised how many people buy the extended warranties these days. I remember years ago, everyone just considered the extended warranty how the electronics retailers really made money. And, Consumer Reports still advices against buying them. But, it seems like a lotta people like them these days.

Also, if I buy the iPads with a Visa, when it comes time to make a claim on the warranty, do I still have to have the credit card that I charged it to? Or, is the warranty still good whether or not you still have the card?

Call your credit card company and they will be able to tell you the answer quick. I made sure that the HDTV I purchased would have an extra year warranty from my credit card and they confirmed.

Not asking if it will be covered. I'm asking, what's better? A card with more warranty (usu Visas) or a card with more discount (the Discover card give you 5% cash-back at the Apple store)?

Which sounds more logical? A free $60 bucks now, or piece of mind if your iPad breaks right after that year warranty runs out you'll be covered? I'd go with the extra warranty.

Captured, think of it this way. If Apple were to sell you an extended warranty for an extra year on your two iPads, would you pay $60 for it?

I just did the math, the extra 4% discount the Discover card would give you over the Visa, it'd really be $48 for the extra year warranty on the 2 iPads.

Ok, I'm new to credit cards so please forgive me if I sound like a complete idiot. I just got a Capitalone Visa. If I buy electronics do I automatically get a 1 year extended warranty from the Visa? How does this work?

[quote name='GME92']Ok, I'm new to credit cards so please forgive me if I sound like a complete idiot. I just got a Capitalone Visa. If I buy electronics do I automatically get a 1 year extended warranty from the Visa? How does this work?[/QUOTE]
Look on the credit card issuer's website, all the extra perks you get should be there somewhere. Or you can call and ask.

GME, there are a bunch of extra features all credit cards have. Besides just being able to charge stuff.

Like probably the most common one is with platinum cards you get collision insurance on rental cards. Like, if you rent a car for a couple of days and charge it to a card that provides that, you don't have to pay extra for the collision insurance. (Collision insurance covers any damages if the accident is your fault). If you don't have that on your credit card, the rental company will either charge you like $30 a day extra or they'll just let you pay out of pocket for damages if you crash their car.

Look on the web site or call your credit card company for what features your card has.

bread's done
Back