Crimson Alliance Thread. 800 and 1200 points. September 7th.

seanr1221

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
ss_preview_257380_227337153949597_225886134094699_1071186_1267486_o.jpg.jpg

So if you bought the 5 Summer of Arcade Games you should have a redemption code for Crimson Alliance.

What is Crimson Alliance? Well, it looks like Torchlight, but plays like Gauntlet. It doesn't have a heavy focus on loot, but instead scores, combos and collecting gold to buy more weapons.

There is 4 player co-op and 3 different classes to choose from.

You can either buy the full game for 1200 points or one class for 800 points.

There are also micro-transactions for gold within the game. 40,000 gold for 80 points.

Yeah, it's a pretty terrible idea.

I mean, overall I like the game, but I would have preferred the 1200 points like MS did last year.

You get 2 codes.
One to unlock the game, and one to unlock the characters.
I got my codes earlier this week.

40,000 gp for 80 ms points. (in game currency that you can buy)

somehow imo that would actually cheapen the experience of the game, being able to buy advanced wpns and armor so early in the game. tried their "demo" was fun for what it's worth though I believe I will wait until I win the lotto, the ms points lotto, or a drop in price...for now. (why couldn't they have just made Daggerdale liks this instead, meh)

I suspect this won't be the first game to offer in-app gold purchases and the like. That's worked well for some iOS games, and obviously they're trying to capitalize on that here, but there's a significant difference. The games on iOS where they do this are typically free or a buck, not $15 (or $10 minimum). Also the app store makes it clear when games have in-app purchases, and what the most popular ones are so they aren't a surprise. I haven't checked to see if the game is shown as having in-app purchases on Microsofts store.

That doesn't make them any less egregious on iOS. Actually, yes it does. If a game costs $1 and you love it, then giving the devs an extra buck doesn't seem so bad, you might even find that you want to give them an extra buck or two. I did that with Jetpack Joyride, an awesome game. I bought the "Counterfeit Machine" for 99 cents, still only making for a whopping $2 purchase.

Crimson is $10 at a minimum, more likely $15 (possibly more). Of course if gold purchases aren't really necessary to enjoy the game, then that's fine. If people want to do that, but nobody has to then it's fine with me.

[quote name='lupinckc']You get 2 codes.
One to unlock the game, and one to unlock the characters.
I got my codes earlier this week.[/QUOTE]

Regardless, I have yet to get either code and the game is already out.

I'm not against the marketing aspect of selling in game currency, I think it's brilliant...MtG let you pay to unlock an entire deck instead of winning that many times after all. as a CAG'er it just seems wrong.

when my bing points roll in again and at least one of my buddies decides to get it, I'll probably jump in and unlock the full game too.

After playing the "demo" for abit I was hooked on the game. It reminded me a lot of playing Gauntlet in the arcade "Red Wizard needs food badly!". If anyone is interested in playing add me on XBL.

So anyone have the full Daggerdale for comparison to this one?

Tried this one and while fun I'm not sure it's worth 1200 points, or even 800 points for one character. Been wanting to buy Daggerdale, tried the demo and liked it, just the reviews were pretty bad. So wondering what folks who bought both think....

the Daggerdale demo was so bad I just couldn't do it. Granted it's not the full game as you asked but simply the fact there was camera issues, npc menu freezing, and some of the graphics were really bad...I'd rank Crimson Alliance superior in everyway over Daggerdale just because it's less broken and graphically consistant.

Dark Alliance for XBOX was better than Daggerdale is trying to be...and I really tried to see past all it's shortcomings.

the ppl that did Crimson Alliance, those bastards had to put in 1 achiemevent that requires you to beat the game w/all 3 characters.

...wait, you liked the demo?

I did like the Daggerdale demo, so I wanted opinions from anyone that actually bought the full game. I had no game breaking issues, the camera was decent for me, the graphics also looked fine to me. The Crimson "demo" is fine, but I prefer more loot drops. I'm also not one to care about the score, which Crimson seems to focus on after reading the website.

Does Crimson even have character attribute "upgrades" when you level up? Didn't notice when playing.

I've got zero HD room at the moment or I'd redownload Daggerdale and retry it myself again to compare.

out of curiosity, I seem to have downloaded the full thing for $0 spacebucks. Did I stumble on something or will I get charged for something soon?

Read what seanr1221 said. You didn't get the full version, you get the base game, which is in effect a trial. You can't really play the game without buying the characters, either individually, or as a set. Yes, it's confusing. Think Pinball FX 2, but while it made sense there, it doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense here.

[quote name='praxus07']I did like the Daggerdale demo, so I wanted opinions from anyone that actually bought the full game. I had no game breaking issues, the camera was decent for me, the graphics also looked fine to me. The Crimson "demo" is fine, but I prefer more loot drops. I'm also not one to care about the score, which Crimson seems to focus on after reading the website.

Does Crimson even have character attribute "upgrades" when you level up? Didn't notice when playing.

I've got zero HD room at the moment or I'd redownload Daggerdale and retry it myself again to compare.[/QUOTE]

Shipwreck did a review on Crimson Alliance.

You don't level up, equipment you use/wield increases your different special attacks and hps in addition to other bonuses like ice damage or poison etc. At it's current release price, it seems pricey at 1200 ms points and highy robbery at 800 per character if you plan to every try more than one.

Once my camera got stuck on the dwarf npc you talk to in the demo, I said this is a game breaker for me. I literally could see my feet run around the area near the dwarf but I completely lost any interface menu or HUD. It happened more than once during the demo. I'd really just like a return to the temple of elemental evil turn based D&D game for XBLA.

Yep I fell for it. Thought I got a lucky break! Nope. It was instantly deleted from my hdd.

[quote name='100xp']Shipwreck did a review on Crimson Alliance.

You don't level up, equipment you use/wield increases your different special attacks and hps in addition to other bonuses like ice damage or poison etc. At it's current release price, it seems pricey at 1200 ms points and highy robbery at 800 per character if you plan to every try more than one.

Once my camera got stuck on the dwarf npc you talk to in the demo, I said this is a game breaker for me. I literally could see my feet run around the area near the dwarf but I completely lost any interface menu or HUD. It happened more than once during the demo. I'd really just like a return to the temple of elemental evil turn based D&D game for XBLA.[/QUOTE]

OK, so in Crimson you don't level up? That's a dealbreaker for me. Most of my fun is gotten out of levelling up, getting new attacks/spells each level....so going to skip this till it hits a sale. Once I delete it I can redownload Daggerdale a try it again for myself. Thanks for the info =)

bread's done
Back