Criterion.com 50% off DVDs & Blu-Rays until 9am EST 2/25/11

Muthafodder

Banned
Via a Facebook promo and code: THANKS

Supposed to work on all in stock items but is also working on pre-orders.

Criterion.com

Limited time only.

Free shipping on orders over $50.

Deal expires around 9am EST tomorrow.

EDIT - Looks like pre-orders aren't working anymore.

And the discount is 50% off the list price.

This should probably be in the Criterion Deals thread. ;)

Hrm, I'm torn . . . I'd really like to pick up Fish Tank and Still Walking, but with just those I'd have to pay shipping (which appears to be $5.95 for two blu-rays). I suppose I could easily add another title on to get it to free shipping, but . . . if I hold out until the B&N sale (probably in July), I'll be able to get them for $18 each (50% off + 10% member discount) at most, possibly less if there's a coupon (and there's been a coupon at some point during each of the last few sales).

[quote name='vodkablast']Spent $420 on Blu Rays. fuck.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I do that at the B&N sale every time. On the positive side right now, if I ordered all of the Criterion blu-rays that I don't have yet, I actually wouldn't be able to spend that much. Still, like I said, I'm torn because the B&N sale tends to be an even better deal if I'm willing to wait for it.

Here's my small haul:

Hunger Criterion Blu-Ray (CC1868BD) - Quantity: 1$19.97
Beastie Boys Video Anthology Criterion DVD (CC1563D) - Quantity: 1$14.97
Fish Tank Criterion Blu-Ray (CC1947BD ) - Quantity: 1$19.97
My Own Private Idaho Criterion DVD (CC1609D) - Quantity: 1$19.97
Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom Criterion DVD (CC1764D) - Quantity: 1$19.97
Still Walking Criterion Blu-Ray (CC1975BD ) - Quantity: 1$19.97

Tempting, though I think I'm with arcane and will wait out the next sale at BN. The 10% bonus and free express shipping from the membership card, plus the possibility of a coupon on top of it, that's worth waiting out.

What's this B&N sale you guys are talking about? Do they have a yearly Criterion sale or something?

edit: I scooped:
-Fish Tank BD
-Still Walking BD
-House BD
-In the Realm of the Senses BD
-Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom DVD
-Criterion asphalt fitted t-shirt (why not)

Might grab some more tomorrow morning before this ends, depending on what I hear from you guys about the B&N thing...

[quote name='shrike4242']Tempting, though I think I'm with arcane and will wait out the next sale at BN. The 10% bonus and free express shipping from the membership card, plus the possibility of a coupon on top of it, that's worth waiting out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the biggest reason that I'm actually considering going ahead and picking up a few now is that the "coming soon" list is getting so long that if I wait until the next B&N sale, I'm going to have a pretty huge backlog to pick up. I'm glad to see them really embracing the blu-ray format, but it's getting hard to keep up!

I just wish that this worked on pre-orders. If I could get Solaris, Diabolique, and Le Cercle Rouge with this, I'd definitely be all over it. Oh well, by the time those first two come out in May, anyway, the B&N sale won't be too far off.

[quote name='nepenthegram']What's this B&N sale you guys are talking about? Do they have a yearly Criterion sale or something?[/QUOTE]

Twice a year (in July and November), Barnes and Noble has a 50% off (of list price) Criterion sale. The big advantage there over this current sale is that if you have a B&N membership, you can stack that on top of it for an extra 10% off, and in addition to that, they almost always have coupons good for an extra 15-25% off which also stack. If you're lucky (and paying attention), you can get Criterion blu-rays for as low as $12-15 each. That was the main reason why I started collecting Criterion titles so seriously, rather than just buying a few must-haves -- the deals were just too good to pass up.

Im tempted to preorder blow out & fear & loathing in las vegas but everytime I ask on the facebook wall they have of how that works....they delete it... I don't think they'll let preorders stay given that attitude :whistle2:/

[quote name='flatliner718']Im tempted to preorder blow out & fear & loathing in las vegas but everytime I ask on the facebook wall they have of how that works....they delete it... I don't think they'll let preorders stay given that attitude :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

A rep replied to the same question:
"The Criterion Collection In-stock Blu-rays and DVDs!
18 minutes ago"

[quote name='shrike4242']Tempting, though I think I'm with arcane and will wait out the next sale at BN. The 10% bonus and free express shipping from the membership card, plus the possibility of a coupon on top of it, that's worth waiting out.[/QUOTE]

Apparently you get a $50 Gift Card from Criterion for every $500 you spend with them.

Plus the 10% extra gets wiped out in my state with the tax.

There's no tax on Criterion.com

As someone who knows nothing about anything, can you guys tell me what is so special about the Criterion Collection? And could you recommend me some titles. I'm def. going to pick up Che as I'm a sucker for bio-pics but I need at least 2 other titles to give me free shipping. Love the incentive they give for free shipping. An excuse for me to spend more money on blu-ray goodness. Also, the 2 titles don't have to be bio-pics. Thanks OP and my fellow CAGers.

[quote name='Muthafodder']Apparently you get a $50 Gift Card from Criterion for every $500 you spend with them.

Plus the 10% extra gets wiped out in my state with the tax.

There's no tax on Criterion.com[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's mostly the extra coupons that make it worth holding out for.

The gift card is a nice deal (I assume it's cumulative orders, not all on one order), but unless they start doing sales like this often, I don't see myself ordering $500 worth of stuff directly from them anytime soon. There are too many opportunities to get better deals elsewhere.

I recommend Antichrist to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Williem Dafoe FTW!

I'm pretty callous...and that movie made me turn away from the screen a time or two :)

Wife left the room and refused to talk about it.

Movie ended and I just sat alone for a few more hours digesting it all.

[quote name='Muthafodder']I recommend Antichrist to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Williem Dafoe FTW!

I'm pretty callous...and that movie made me turn away from the screen a time or two :)[/QUOTE]

Ahahahaha . . . Yeah, uh, you might want to read a bit about that film first and make sure that it's for you (or check it out on Netflix instant watch) before buying it. I thought it was great as well, but it's, um, definitely not for everybody.

[quote name='arcane93']Ahahahaha . . . Yeah, uh, you might want to read a bit about that film first and make sure that it's for you (or check it out on Netflix instant watch) before buying it. I thought it was great as well, but it's, um, definitely not for everybody.[/QUOTE]

I think you should avoid any clips of it and just be totally surprised with the film.

I'm looking forward to Salò...wish I didn't watch the preview for that one.

[quote name='nastyislegend']As someone who knows nothing about anything, can you guys tell me what is so special about the Criterion Collection? And could you recommend me some titles. I'm def. going to pick up Che as I'm a sucker for bio-pics but I need at least 2 other titles to give me free shipping. Love the incentive they give for free shipping. An excuse for me to spend more money on blu-ray goodness. Also, the 2 titles don't have to be bio-pics. Thanks OP and my fellow CAGers.[/QUOTE]

Criterion's "About Us" page really sums it up best:

Since 1984, the Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, has been dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Over the years, as we moved from laserdisc to DVD, Blu-ray disc, and online streaming, we’ve seen a lot of things change, but one thing has remained constant: our commitment to publishing the defining moments of cinema for a wider and wider audience. The foundation of the collection is the work of such masters of cinema as Renoir, Godard, Kurosawa, Cocteau, Fellini, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Hitchcock, Fuller, Lean, Kubrick, Lang, Sturges, Dreyer, Eisenstein, Ozu, Sirk, Buñuel, Powell and Pressburger. Each film is presented uncut, in its original aspect ratio, as its maker intended it to be seen. Every time we start work on a film, we track down the best available film elements in the world, use state-of-the-art telecine equipment and a select few colorists capable of meeting our rigorous standards, then take time during the film-to-video digital transfer to create the most pristine possible image and sound. Whenever possible, we work with directors and cinematographers to ensure that the look of our releases does justice to their intentions. Our supplements enable viewers to appreciate Criterion films in context, through audio commentaries by filmmakers and scholars, restored director’s cuts, deleted scenes, documentaries, shooting scripts, early shorts, and storyboards. To date, more than 150 filmmakers have made our library of Director Approved DVDs, Blu-ray discs, and laserdiscs the most significant archive of contemporary filmmaking available to the home viewer.
If you like bio-pics, you might (or might not) like Crumb. Also, the Seventh Seal blu-ray includes Bergman Island, which is a pretty good feature-length documentary on Ingmar Bergman. As far as other titles go, it really depends on your taste in films. You probably can't go wrong with Seven Samurai, at the very least.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Muthafodder']I think you should avoid any clips of it and just be totally surprised with the film.[/QUOTE]

I would agree that you should watch it that way . . . but probably not buy it that way. I'll amend my recommendation: don't read about it, but watch it on Netflix instant watch first. That way you can still go into it cold, but if you absolutely hate it (as many will), you at least haven't invested a lot into it.

[quote name='Muthafodder']A rep replied to the same question:
"The Criterion Collection In-stock Blu-rays and DVDs!
18 minutes ago"[/QUOTE]

I see your post, but you can still go to the check out screen regardless of the warnings

blurays.png

yea i live in NY, and unfortunately deal with the tax.... :cry:

if anyone is interested in the thin red line *which i own already* i got it as filler due to the standard shipping + tax fees to ween it down. I was gonna sell it online, but when i receive it if anyone is interested in getting it from me let me know.

I was debating whether to bite on Sanjuro (BR) & Yojimbo (BR) or Che BR & Chungking Express (BR). I wish I could get all 4 but I bit on Che & Chungking. I wish there was more Kurosawa blu rays and hopefully one of these days, they could release some of Takeshi Kitano flicks. Can't wait for the B&N sale!!!! :)

Since it's out of stock now, let me leave this here: If anyone wants to buy a new copy of The Seventh Seal on Blu Ray let me know. I bought it new and then won a used copy in a lot with some other movies so I never opened it.

[quote name='flatliner718']I see your post, but you can still go to the check out screen regardless of the warnings

blurays.png

yea i live in NY, and unfortunately deal with the tax.... :cry:

if anyone is interested in the thin red line *which i own already* i got it as filler due to the standard shipping + tax fees to ween it down. I was gonna sell it online, but when i receive it if anyone is interested in getting it from me let me know.[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested in the thin red line as I was actually going to place a second order for just that movie.

If you don't mind keeping me in mind.

Absolutely. I'll keep you in mind. I'll add you on the friend system on here too, since i don't have many of them on here, and it allow me to remember you by user name :)

[quote name='tranceFusion']Are the transfers for Criterion movies any better?

Like, is it worth paying twice as much for Fear and Loathing?[/QUOTE]Precisely what I'm wondering. If the main feature actually LOOKS better then I'm interested. But things like extra commentaries or interviews or whatever don't factor into my buying decisions these days. I know it's possible for blu-rays to be released with significant differences in quality (Fifth Element, Memento, etc.) but for the most part I feel like there isn't much room to improve once a film goes high def.

Criterion does their own restoration process on everything they put out. That could mean cleaning up an existing transfer or doing a completely new transfer. If you like older movies, the problem is that once they enter public domain, dozens of companies release horrible horrible transfers of them. That's why those box sets like "25 Horror Classics for $5" are so cheap but terrible.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Precisely what I'm wondering. If the main feature actually LOOKS better then I'm interested. But things like extra commentaries or interviews or whatever don't factor into my buying decisions these days. I know it's possible for blu-rays to be released with significant differences in quality (Fifth Element, Memento, etc.) but for the most part I feel like there isn't much room to improve once a film goes high def.[/QUOTE]

Yes Criterion releases usually always look better. Of course it depends on the film, not sure how better Fear and Loathing will look, we'll have to wait for it to be released. Criterion is expensive, but they put out a premium product.

For those who missed out on this sale, Benjamin Button- Criterion Collection is $13.99 on Amazon.

Link

I was curious about Criterion prices on Amazon and came across this. Not sure how good of a deal it actually is, but I figured I would post in case anyone was interested.

I just started REALLY getting into Criterion early this week (went from 9 titles to 56 in 48 hours via various Used Record/ Bookstores in the Phoenix, AZ area)... came home last night vowing not to buy anymore for AWHILE and then stumbled upon the 50% Off sale.

$400 and 15 titles later... Ugh.

Most of the blu-ray titles i wants is coming out soon. Oh well, i'll pick all of the up on July or late November ;) I guess Criterion is testing 50% off sale to see how many peoples out there buying they product. Possible we will see more sale like this in the future :)

[quote name='Muthafodder']Here's my small haul:

Hunger Criterion Blu-Ray (CC1868BD) - Quantity: 1$19.97
[/QUOTE]

Is this really a movie you want to own and watch over and over again? As in, hey I really feel like popping my Hunger disc in to watch
that five minute scene of a guard mopping up piss?

[quote name='arcane93']Criterion's "About Us" page really sums it up best:

The foundation of the collection is the work of such masters of cinema as Renoir, Godard, Kurosawa, Cocteau, Fellini, Bergman, Tarkovsky, Hitchcock, Fuller, Lean, Kubrick, Lang, Sturges, Dreyer, Eisenstein, Ozu, Sirk, Buñuel, Powell and Pressburger. [/QUOTE]

And, um...Bay?

http://www.criterion.com/films/578-armageddon
http://www.criterion.com/films/649-the-rock

[quote name='dinovelvet']Is this really a movie you want to own and watch over and over again? As in, hey I really feel like popping my Hunger disc in to watch
[/QUOTE]

It's called a movie collection...got one?

Steve McQueen fans like to own his movies...

I've never seen the entire Salo movie, but what I saw was a bit disturbing. Yet I was still intrigued by it and I want to see the whole thing one day.

[quote name='Muthafodder']I've not seen it asshat.
Thanks for the spoiler.

It's called a movie collection...got one?

Steve McQueen fans like to own his movies...

Would you like to spoil any of the other movies I purchased?[/QUOTE]

Relax brah, nothing got spoiled for you. It's not exactly an intricately plotted thrill ride of twists.

And you know it's not *THAT* Steve McQueen, right? Because I'm not sure how you could be a fan of this particular Steve McQueen since he's only made one movie that you haven't yet seen...

[quote name='dinovelvet']Relax brah, nothing got spoiled for you. It's not exactly an intricately plotted thrill ride of twists.

And you know it's not *THAT* Steve McQueen, right? Because I'm not sure how you could be a fan of this particular Steve McQueen since he's only made one movie that you haven't yet seen...[/QUOTE]
Not sure if serious...

The Steve McQueen who directed Hunger is a black British visual designer; totally not the dead Hollywood star. That said, yes, I own Hunger, and yes, I think it is absolutely worth owning.

I ended up giving in at the last minute (as I figured I probably would, heh) and getting Fish Tank, Still Walking, and Amarcord. Made myself stop there, though -- I'll get the others that I want in July, unless another good deal comes up in the meantime.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Is this really a movie you want to own and watch over and over again? As in, hey I really feel like popping my Hunger disc in to watch
[/QUOTE]

I don't get why people feel the need to shit on other people's choices. If the dude wants to own Hunger, let him buy Hunger. Your opinion of it is insignificant, as he's not making you watch it.

[quote name='arcane93']
I don't get why people feel the need to shit on other people's choices. If the dude wants to own Hunger, let him buy Hunger. Your opinion of it is insignificant, as he's not making you watch it.[/QUOTE]

Hey now, I didn't shit on his choice - I made the choice to see it a while ago, and I didn't even diss Hunger particularly, I've seen it and there is some value to seeing it, it's just that it's a film that's so relentlessly grim, disgusting, and unpleasant (uh, in my opinion), my original question came from being actually intrigued as to why people would want to own it and watch it more than once. There's only so much shit you can take, literally.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Hey now, I didn't shit on his choice - I made the choice to see it a while ago, and I didn't even diss Hunger particularly, I've seen it and there is some value to seeing it, it's just that it's a film that's so relentlessly grim, disgusting, and unpleasant (uh, in my opinion), my original question came from being actually intrigued as to why people would want to own it and watch it more than once. There's only so much shit you can take, literally.[/QUOTE]

Ah heh, ok, I think your tone came off a little more negative than you meant, then -- or maybe we've just come to expect that so much on CAG that we automatically read it into it. :lol: To be honest, I haven't watched the movie yet myself (my movie backlog is huge at this point), so I can't comment. I picked it up during the last B&N sale, when I had a coupon that took it down to something like $13.50. I find the subject matter of the movie to be really interesting, which is why I decided that it was worth it. I'm definitely bracing myself for it to be fairly brutal, though, which is one of the other reasons I've been putting it off until I'm in the mood for it.

[quote name='arcane93']I don't get why people feel the need to shit on other people's choices. If the dude wants to own Hunger, let him buy Hunger. Your opinion of it is insignificant, as he's not making you watch it.[/QUOTE]

I would normally agree with you, but this may be a special case. It seems he may not have even wanted to own this film, since he thought he was buying a Steve McQueen film...not a Steve McQueen film.

Dinovelvet...Watch out with those spoilers, will you? You completely ruined
the mopping scene for him
. How would you have liked it if someone ruined
the drinking a glass of water scene in The Social Network
?

bread's done
Back