Cross Edge PS3 $29.99, Best Buy clearance YMMV

michael000

CAGiversary!
Went to pick up the GoW collection and noticed Cross Edge for $29.99. It was with the regular games and not in a bin and when i looked closer at the plastic divider w/ the price on it i noticed it said clearance so YMMV. Did a search on the website and the game wasn't listed anymore so i'm assuming they're just clearing out what they've got left (this particular store had ~8 copies).

Get this game for Morrigan from darksiders alone. OM NOM NOM. wut.

Morrigan__the_succubus_by_TheZe.jpg

That's a very good Morrigan above.

$30 seems like a nice price. This game did so horrible in sales that it probably won't survive another print. Grab it now if you have the slightest interest in it as it will probably be very hard to track down the line (in my opinion).

[quote name='Masterkyo']Mine local BB have it for 15% off clearance price almost a month now. I wait till it hit 50%.[/QUOTE]

Just get it man, before it dissapears. its a great price imo... rare too...

also...its actually really good. ignore the american reviewers who have a jrpg bias.

I was at BB earlier today and caught wind of this game. But didn't see any sign or mention that it was on clearence :/ I've wanted to buy this game for awhile, but it was still marked at 60.

[quote name='gomikeoh']Just get it man, before it dissapears. its a great price imo... rare too...

also...its actually really good. ignore the american reviewers who have a jrpg bias.[/QUOTE]

The game's fun, addictive if you're into min/maxing your party but it's not balanced at all...

Not to mention you really do have to sink sooooo many hours into it to even see any reward for your efforts.

I've been waiting for a price drop to pick it up, $30 seems fine but I don't think it'll be "rare" any time soon.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']I was at BB earlier today and caught wind of this game. But didn't see any sign or mention that it was on clearence :/ I've wanted to buy this game for awhile, but it was still marked at 60.[/QUOTE]

The game came out at 50$ didn't it?

I think this game is getting a 360 release, so I doubt it'll be super rare. The 360 version will probably be a better version too if they include some extras.

[quote name='Gosha']I think this game is getting a 360 release, so I doubt it'll be super rare. The 360 version will probably be a better version too if they include some extras.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that I read somewhere that NISA said they have zero interest in localizing or even bringing the 360 version to the states.

They sorta said... "we're shocked they're releasing it for the 360 and we have no plans whatsoever to bring it to the states." No maybes, just flat out "no."

It didn't sell on the PS3, it's not going to sell well on the 360 either. Pretty sure they touched upon not wanting to screw the fans that have already bought it. That's what I remember anyways.

[quote name='gomikeoh']Get this game for Morrigan from darksiders alone. OM NOM NOM. wut.

[/QUOTE]

It's Darkstalkers. Darksiders is a different game. :booty:

:lol:

[quote name='Vortextk']The game came out at 50$ didn't it?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the original retail price was $49.99.

I'll have to check my BB out. I didn't see it with the other games when I went for the B2G1F special. I wanted to see if they had it and I'd buy Cross Edge, Afrika (they didn't have this either), and some third game together along with the three $60 games I bought. Do most Best Buys have an elusive clearance bin that I didn't notice?

This is a worthy title for fans of JRPGs and "old school" types of challenges. If not for the humor and many references to other games and media Cross Edge would get rather stale from the repetitive gameplay, but lately I have been struggling to finish most RPGs I play, so the fact that I finished Cross Edge without feeling sick of it by the end is testament to its staying power.

$30 is a very reasonable price for those who are wary of the game's mediocre reviews, and this is certainly a game that will be a little more rare in the future.

quit bashing the game because of these american reviewers who doesn't like jrpgs except "final fantasy". at $30 is a good price.

Not knowing anything about it I can't justify picking it up for $30 for my gf, btu if it dips lower than that I'll seriously consider it (she likes these types of JRPGs, so it may be worth the risk). Thanks OP.

My mileage definitely varied. (Peoria, IL) Anyone willing to pick one up and send it to me for under $35 total, please send me a PM.

I just saw it today at the Best Buy in Frederick, MD for $25. After I picked up mine, I would say they probably had a good 7-8 copies left. It was in the rack with everything else, not in a bin or anything.

[quote name='gomikeoh']Get this game for Morrigan from darksiders alone. OM NOM NOM. wut.[/QUOTE]

Darkstalkers, friend.

Saw this title at best buy still for $49.99. I bought this during the GameStop B2G1 free used and I can't bare to play it after watching my brothers play it. constant loading time is killer in the game. they need to import Namco X Capcom. I could see myself at least giving a shot at that one. regardless needed to buy CrossEdge to continue my RPG collection

It's not a good game. Boring and needlessly complex.

A game you only buy for the fanservice. If you're a fan of the 13684 series represented in the game, you probably won't be disappointed. If you're just looking for a nice JRPG to pass the time, you can do much better (and cheaper).

[quote name='Gosha']I think this game is getting a 360 release, so I doubt it'll be super rare. The 360 version will probably be a better version too if they include some extras.[/QUOTE]
True, they said its probably not going to get a localization though.

The game is honestly flawed. Only buy it if you cannot miss a game with Morrigan, Etna, etc. in it. Think of it as mish mash of gameplay elements from popular Japanese games implemented in such a convoluted clusterfuck. I finished the game but I can't say that I had the blast on all the hours I spent on it. It's too bad, it's such a nice concept.

[quote name='artego']It's not a good game. Boring and needlessly complex.

A game you only buy for the fanservice. If you're a fan of the 13684 series represented in the game, you probably won't be disappointed. If you're just looking for a nice JRPG to pass the time, you can do much better (and cheaper).[/QUOTE]

Agreed. And if you aren't a fan of those games you will probably find the plot kind of stupid.

Ya. I likes me some RPGS. but right now it will take more than 30 for me to bite.

[quote name='gomikeoh']Just get it man, before it dissapears. its a great price imo... rare too...

also...its actually really good. ignore the american reviewers who have a jrpg bias.[/QUOTE]

I'd say the 52 on Metacritic isn't that far off the mark. It's okay, it's not great. I wouldn't even say it's particularly good. The combat feels like a cheap knockoff of Valkyrie Profile, the story is boring, and the presentation is third-rate at best. Makes for a combination that leaves a pretty bad taste in my mouth. Add to that the fact that it takes forever to get anywhere in the game and you're better off passing.

Buy price: $12.

The similarities of the combat to Valkyrie Profile are obvious, but frankly I didn't find VP's combat all that exciting.
Whereas in Valkyrie Profile you could do *somewhat* more damage with good timing of attacks, in Cross Edge timing is unimportant, but the order of attacks is a primary determining factor in how much damage you do.
I just feel like Cross Edge's combat has a lot more depth and strategy than Valkyrie Profile's. Especially considering you can choose which of 4 (plus specials) attacks to use per 4 characters where in VP you had a specific chain of attacks for each.

Really, the people (like me) who enjoy or would enjoy Cross Edge's combat are the types that like to actually sit staring at the attacks list for a minute and a half dreaming up half a dozen different combinations of attacks and determining which one gives them the most damage. All before pressing a single button.

Anyway I think it's unfair to call Cross Edge's combat weak or a cheap knockoff. It could've been cleaned up a bit, but I genuinely loved it. It might appeal to strategy gamers more.

Other posters are correct in saying that you won't enjoy the game as much if you aren't familiar with the characters or style it brings in. Personally, I literally fell out of my chair laughing when Felicia went on about wanting fish for dinner. Definitely use the Japanese voice acting, though.

Pros: Deep combat, humorous story if you're familiar with the source material, pretty good music
Cons: Actual plot is sub-par, load times and menu system could use some work, and there is some significant grind and tedium.

The long story short is that unless those pros scream "Heck yes!" to you, you probably ought to wait until this drops to $20 or less. But I won't stand for the combat being knocked. It's the combat that's the gem and very foundation of this game.

The foundation of this game is the fanservice, nothing more, nothing less. It was a way to cash in on fans of the characters, and people who enjoy non-canon crossovers for 'what if' scenarios. And its sales proved it.

The combat is needlessly complex. There's nothing fun about it. At least with Valkyrie Profile I enjoyed creating real-time combos that changed from battle to battle even if I used the same move combination over and over again because of how timing and equipment and skills affects the outcome.

And why are you comparing its RPG system to a 10 year old game anyway? X-edge is a current generation game, take a look at how other JRPGs this generation (or even the PS2 generation) have been innovating the system, and then come back to X-edge and think about what it's like.

I went to best buy in dublin, ca to pick up guitar hero smash hits(ps3) for ~11$ and i checked the price on cross edge...was still regular price :bomb:

[quote name='gomikeoh']Get this game for Morrigan from darksiders alone. OM NOM NOM. wut.

Morrigan__the_succubus_by_TheZe.jpg
[/QUOTE]
:drool::drool::drool:

Might have to pick this up.

[quote name='shadowknight5829']Best Buy in WV has it for 24.99 clearance.[/QUOTE]

Nice. I got mine for $30 in Houston. Good game, but just be patient with it. Like any NIS game, it will kick your butt, but it's so rewarding.

Just picked up a copy at san marcos tx for $24.99 to. They still have 2 copies left if anyone is interested in them.

Its listed (game sites etc..) as also for the 360 (some posts on first page say it maybe wasnt) All reviews (even asian) are pretty harsh on it. But I must admit i long for the old school RPG's of the past, all this button time fighting is boring me to tears. Might check this one out.

Now that it's $30 on Amazon I kind of want it but I'm really leery of all the bad stuff I've seen and heard about it. I like all the series they cross over in it but I just don't know if its worth it.

It's actually $29.98. And there is tax for some. ;)

Anyway, in for one. Glad I didn't jump on it before when ECA was up and running.

bread's done
Back