Cross pollination: Any CAG's going to Screwattack's July 09 convention (TX)?(UPDATE)

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
Just curious. I think my friend and I are going to try and make it out. Looks like a lot of fun. Too bad we can't get something like that ever going on CAG (well there was that one Wombat gathering...)

I'm a big fan of Screwattack, and what they've accomplished these past three years. Plus they don't leave out the retro-games.

UPDATE: Better link

http://sgconvention.com/

Some of the noteworthy guests:

Nolan Bushnell
Angry Video Game Nerd
DJ Pretzel of OCremix.com (will be spinning remixes throughout!)
Rey Jimenez (Capcom Assoc. Producer)
Destructoid People

We should get Wombat in there!!

http://www.screwattack.com/SGC

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cochesecochese']Not trying to be a dick, but what exactly did ScrewAttack accomplish?[/quote]
Gaining enough money to have their own convention?

To me, they have a very active community, like CAG (and a connection to CAG via Cheapy's corner). In some ways I get a similar good feeling, just like CAG, from being a part of their site. And, no I am not particularly active there (maybe twenty posts.) But I do check it out almost every day.

They put out an episode of Hard News every day (5 days a week maybe?) that is usually entertaining and well done, with good production values and dry humor.

They also host a lot of AVGN stuff, giving him a lot of further exposure.

I really liked the series Nametags.

They put together a Halloween party, that I heard was really fun.. lots of gaming. And it's cool to meet your fellow posters that you speak with on the regular, as well as the opportunity to kick it with the head honchos.

Lots of original content every day... nice nods to retro games...

And they have a lot of characters that work there. They'll put together a fun (sometimes stupid) video on a whim. I like that kind of attitude and the fact that they are doing it for the passion of being gamers. Well and maybe a little money at this point. But I doubt any more than Cheapy is making. And I don't see anything wrong with that anyway.

I think all of these are example of achievements from a new upstart website that clearly has it's heart in the right place.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']
I think all of these are example of achievements from a new upstart website that clearly has it's heart in the right place.[/quote]
I surfed around the boards. Kudos to them for building a [profitable] community and making a living by turning a hobby into a business. There isn't really anything there to hook me into joining but I'm happy they're successful.

I stopped posting on their forums after the whole Handsome Tom ordeal.

Iunno, I could say stuff about their community, but I think it's best to say it's not for me.

On-topic: I won't be attending SGC due to being 4500 km away, but I look forward to it and seeing coverage.

Off-topic: I've been a g1 since May 08, and I like to think that I am one of the most well known members of the forum there. It's a good site with great content, but the forum has been on a steady decline for the past while. I hardly post there as much as I used to, but I have made dozens of great friends through ScrewAttack in some way or another, basically my whole internet-life has spawned off of ScrewAttack's forums. It's sad to see it go downhill, and now I tend to stick to smaller forums such as DTT (link in my sig) with a tighter community.

Yea, that whole Handsome Tom thing was a total debacle, but you know, they did get some good new faces in there. Destin's Hard News is a great daily watch. (Look for Cheapy on those!)

My friend and I are going -- trying to decide if we're gonna do the $99/night stay in the hotel or find something cheaper. The idea of spending 3 days gaming, drinking beers, and hanging with some video game celebs sounds like good nerdy fun to me. To answer the above, some of the cool people announced are Nolan Busnell (Godfather of Atari), The Angry Video Game Nerd and DJ Pretzel (the head-honcho of OCremix) will be there spinning video game remixes. Lots more guests TBA, they say.

I'd be psyched to meet some CAG's -- I'm way more of a CAG than a G1 :)

bread's done
Back