Crysis runs fine, other games don't

Fatal Snipe

CAGiversary!
I recently built a new pc and am having problems in pretty much every game I have except for crysis. In all of my games I experience freezing every 2-20 seconds for a split second. Some of my games, specifically Halo 2 and Company of heroes, I experience a problem where, for just a split second every few seconds, it will skip a few frames, and then skip back. So if a car were driving by in the game, every few seconds it would look like the car moved a few millimeters ahead, and then a split second later moved back to where it should be .

Also, some of my games I also seem to have a problem where if I look at something I haven't looked at yet, the game will almost always freeze for a split second. Like in Company of heroes, if I zoom the camera in all of the way face north, and then move the mouse to make the camera face south, it will pretty much always freeze for about a 20th of a second.

Please, I don't know what to do. I have tried everything. I have all the latest drivers and everything. Here are my specs

Motherboard: Intel p45
CPU: E8400
GPU: HD4850
Ram: 4gb
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
Hdd: Western Digital 320gb

I have asked this question on so many forums and have gotten nowhere. People will just say something like "sounds like you need to defragment your harddrive," and I will reply saying it was just defragmented yesterday so it isn't the problem, and then no one will ever post again. So, if anyone truly helps me out and is able to figure out what is making me have this problem, I will paypal you $20.

Thank you

If you're running the games in DirectX 10, then turn it off. I've always experiened problems when I have DirectX 10 enabled in most of the games I've played with the option.

[quote name='Draekon']If you're running the games in DirectX 10, then turn it off. I've always experiened problems when I have DirectX 10 enabled in most of the games I've played with the option.[/quote]

Seconded, its not necessarily that your computer cannot handle direct x 10, it looks like it can considering the specs, but that dx 10 is very buggy for me and others. But, the thing that I find odd is that he has no problems in crysis.

In company of heroes if I put the shader quality on High instead of Dx10, I still have the problem. I don't know how to turn of dx10 entirely. And in the background the only thing I am really running is maybe firefox. My memory usage is only at 35%.

Someone else just recommended I try running 3dmark, and here is the result:
3dmarkfl8.jpg

What I get from it is that my system sucks compared to other people with the same system.

Are there maybe some vista programs that would be running in the background a slowing things down? The fact that when I turn the camera in COH makes it freeze suggests that something else is using the hdd.

I don't think any of those services would really slow down my comp, I just wasn't sure if maybe windows was constantly scanning my pc or something.

[quote name='Fatal Snipe']I recently built a new pc and am having problems in pretty much every game I have except for crysis. In all of my games I experience freezing every 2-20 seconds for a split second. Some of my games, specifically Halo 2 and Company of heroes, I experience a problem where, for just a split second every few seconds, it will skip a few frames, and then skip back. So if a car were driving by in the game, every few seconds it would look like the car moved a few millimeters ahead, and then a split second later moved back to where it should be .

Also, some of my games I also seem to have a problem where if I look at something I haven't looked at yet, the game will almost always freeze for a split second. Like in Company of heroes, if I zoom the camera in all of the way face north, and then move the mouse to make the camera face south, it will pretty much always freeze for about a 20th of a second.

Please, I don't know what to do. I have tried everything. I have all the latest drivers and everything. Here are my specs

Motherboard: Intel p45
CPU: E8400
GPU: HD4850
Ram: 4gb
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
Hdd: Western Digital 320gb

I have asked this question on so many forums and have gotten nowhere. People will just say something like "sounds like you need to defragment your harddrive," and I will reply saying it was just defragmented yesterday so it isn't the problem, and then no one will ever post again. So, if anyone truly helps me out and is able to figure out what is making me have this problem, I will paypal you $20.

Thank you[/QUOTE]

It's not a dx10 issue as Halo 2 is a dx9 game. My guess based on the information that it's compatibility issues with the 64bit version of Vista, or drivers. Make sure your drivers are up to date, and if they are and from ati try ones from http://www.omegadrivers.net/ as ATI drivers tend to suck ass.

There is definatley some huge compatibility issues with windows 64 bit in my opinion. I can run WoW and Crysis just fine, but I can't run Lotro without a full system freeze every 3-5 minutes. Then I have to do a hard reboot of my system.

bread's done
Back