Curious about Green Day Rock Band

ck76

CAGiversary!
I am looking into getting into music games (I know, 5 years after everyone else).

I was curious about Green Day Rock Band and was wondering about advice of best way to go about it.

Can I buy the game bundled with a guitar controller?
Does that save me money opposed to buying it separately? How much?
Am I right that if I pre order it I get more tracks than if I don't?
Are there any issues buying the game used (exporting songs, DLC, etc.)?
How much do additional songs cost?
How compatible are guitar controllers on Rock Band games? One guitar for all games?

I am hoping to get the game and guitar controller in the $70-90 range, is this reasonable?

Thank you fellow Cheap Ass Gamers and hope some folks can help me out. The game comes out the 8th of June so bit of time to make a decision.

To my knowledge, there is no controller bundle. But you can always snag a wired controller for 10 bucks new from just about anywhere.

So, is there any difference between various guitar controllers or all the same?

Also, there is a "plus" version of game for 10 dollars more, trying to figure out what it does that regular version does not.

The plus version has an "export" code which allows you to put the songs from the Green Day song on your hard drive and in turn you'll be able to play those songs when using the Rock Bnad 2 disc. If you don't have Rock Band 2 the export code is worthless to you. As far as controllers go, I perfer the Les Paul that comes with the Guitar Hero games.... I just like the feel a little better. The Les Paul has raised colored buttons instead of the flat buttons that the Rock Band Stratocaster has. Go to a gamestop and play around with the used guitars and see which one feels right, how well the buttons work for you etc. then go buy a new one because most of the used ones at Gamestop are absolute crap.

If you want the full band set there are alot of places where you can get the drums and mic and guitar in a set for quite cheap.

The plus version also gets you a code for the 6 greenday songs that are currently available as well if I am not mistaken.
yeah "Green Day: Rock Band PLUS is a special version that includes the full game, export code, and a code for 6 free Green Day song tracks currently available as downloadable content in the Rock Band Store."

[quote name='machotaco711']The plus version has an "export" code which allows you to put the songs from the Green Day song on your hard drive and in turn you'll be able to play those songs when using the Rock Bnad 2 disc. If you don't have Rock Band 2 the export code is worthless to you. As far as controllers go, I perfer the Les Paul that comes with the Guitar Hero games.... I just like the feel a little better. The Les Paul has raised colored buttons instead of the flat buttons that the Rock Band Stratocaster has. Go to a gamestop and play around with the used guitars and see which one feels right, how well the buttons work for you etc. then go buy a new one because most of the used ones at Gamestop are absolute crap.[/QUOTE]

Okay, so difference is in feel and personal preference, any of them will work with this game then? I'll try them out tomorrow assuming Gamestop has both games on display.

[quote name='machotaco711']If you want the full band set there are alot of places where you can get the drums and mic and guitar in a set for quite cheap.[/QUOTE]

How much are the each? Together?

Thank you for the help.

[quote name='zulux21']The plus version also gets you a code for the 6 greenday songs that are currently available as well if I am not mistaken.
yeah "Green Day: Rock Band PLUS is a special version that includes the full game, export code, and a code for 6 free Green Day song tracks currently available as downloadable content in the Rock Band Store."[/QUOTE]

Okay, so ten dollars for six songs. Just need to make sure it has the code to get the DLC songs. I think that sounds better deal.

Can I buy the game bundled with a guitar controller?
As far as I know, there are currently no plans to have Green Day RB bundled with instruments. Since Green Day songs can be exported into TB2, it is treated more of an addon, and thus, no instrument bundles. I'd recommend trying to buy a RB2 bundle or a Beatles bundle for cheap, they are on sale/clearance all of the time, and I'm sure you will want to play with friends/try other instruments eventually. Also, harmonies are one of the main attractions of the game, so being able to do that with multiple microphones would be good.

Pre-ordering the game will NOT get you more tracks. From Amazon, it will get you a $20 credit and a $5 mp3 credit. From Gamestop it will get you a code to export songs into RB2 (normally costs $10).

Im thinking there won't be any problem with buying used. The only potential problem would be the export to RB2, but I think it will be available on the disc for a $10 fee, rather than with a code.

There is currently no DLC announced for Green Day RB, but I'm sure it will come. The typical pricing is $1.99 or 160 Microsoft Points per song, with full album pricing being discounted 10-20%

How compatible are guitar controllers on Rock Band games? One guitar for all games?
Yes, for the most part, any guitar will work for all. I have been using Guitar Hero 2 controllers for years, as they are my personal favorite.

I am hoping to get the game and guitar controller in the $70-90 range, is this reasonable?

Yes. You have many options for guitars. If you are getting a Rock Band guitar, I'd strongly recommend the Rock Band 2 guitar over the RB1 guitar. A lot of people have liked the RB2 guitar, but it will probably run you $30-40 new.

[quote name='hufferstl']I can't wait for the game, but I only want the export code - and not the disc. Maybe we could work something out???[/QUOTE]

You mean split the cost? You do understand I own only a Playstation 3 and want the version for that system, correct?

If so, you can get the game Green Day Rock Band Plus for 70 and get 20 credit at Amazon if you order it. Export the code to put the songs onto Rock Band 2. Then I could give you 30 for the disc as that is all I want (I assume I can play all the songs with no problem as I have no intention to export the songs) via Paypal perhaps.

You - (70-30-20=20+s&h)
Me - (30)

Does that seem fair to you hufferstl? Let me know.

[quote name='fizzywix']Can I buy the game bundled with a guitar controller?
As far as I know, there are currently no plans to have Green Day RB bundled with instruments. Since Green Day songs can be exported into TB2, it is treated more of an addon, and thus, no instrument bundles. I'd recommend trying to buy a RB2 bundle or a Beatles bundle for cheap, they are on sale/clearance all of the time, and I'm sure you will want to play with friends/try other instruments eventually. Also, harmonies are one of the main attractions of the game, so being able to do that with multiple microphones would be good.

[/quote]

Thank you! I am curious about the Beatles game as well, maybe a bundle with a guitar controller or band set and that game if one can be found cheap (hey, why I am here).

Pre-ordering the game will NOT get you more tracks. From Amazon, it will get you a $20 credit and a $5 mp3 credit. From Gamestop it will get you a code to export songs into RB2 (normally costs $10).

I see, Amazon seems best route then.

Im thinking there won't be any problem with buying used. The only potential problem would be the export to RB2, but I think it will be available on the disc for a $10 fee, rather than with a code.
So even if I change my mind down the road, 10 dollars, seems fair.

There is currently no DLC announced for Green Day RB, but I'm sure it will come. The typical pricing is $1.99 or 160 Microsoft Points per song, with full album pricing being discounted 10-20%

All right then, so I'll figure around 10-20 dollars in addition for song down the road (Kerplunk I hope and more Nimrod).

Yes, for the most part, any guitar will work for all. I have been using Guitar Hero 2 controllers for years, as they are my personal favorite.

I will do that or your Beatles suggestion.

Yes. You have many options for guitars. If you are getting a Rock Band guitar, I'd strongly recommend the Rock Band 2 guitar over the RB1 guitar. A lot of people have liked the RB2 guitar, but it will probably run you $30-40 new.

Okay Rock Band 2 guitar then for 30-40 or Beatles set which I will look into.

Thank you very much, you've been very helpful!

[quote name='hufferstl']Damn, if only you were wanting the 360 version, I would be all over that.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I do not own a 360 so be an expensive purchase having to get a whole system for the game. ;)

Best of luck to you on your search, maybe well both find someone to split before the 7th.

One thing to think about with exporting if LEGO Rock Band was any indication.
You couldn't just pop the disc in and export the songs. LEGO Rock Band had a slip of paper with a code you would enter onto a website that gave you a code to download a very small file that would then activate exporting the songs in the game. It was a bit convoluted, but pretty much ensured if you didn't buy the game new, you probably weren't gonna have the songs exported.
There is NO way to export the songs without using that code. You cannot buy the tracks for download on their own.
If there is any small chance you might want to eventually export the tracks yourself sometime down the line, I'd either buy it new and keep the code yourself or wait it out and see how the exporting works this time around.

Hope you enjoy the music genre! Welcome to the addiction!

[quote name='JoeCamNet']One thing to think about with exporting if LEGO Rock Band was any indication.
You couldn't just pop the disc in and export the songs. LEGO Rock Band had a slip of paper with a code you would enter onto a website that gave you a code to download a very small file that would then activate exporting the songs in the game. It was a bit convoluted, but pretty much ensured if you didn't buy the game new, you probably weren't gonna have the songs exported.
There is NO way to export the songs without using that code. You cannot buy the tracks for download on their own.
If there is any small chance you might want to eventually export the tracks yourself sometime down the line, I'd either buy it new and keep the code yourself or wait it out and see how the exporting works this time around.

Hope you enjoy the music genre! Welcome to the addiction![/QUOTE]

Wait, so if I don't get it new I couldn't get DLC tracks?

What does exporting do anyways, I just want to play the game off the disc and download DLC tracks, I thought exporting let you play them off your hard drive with Rock Band 2 disc is all, did I miss something?

You will be able to do that fine. DLC tracks are available to anyone with any kind of copy of the game.

Exporting is making the songs from Green Day available to play in Rock Band 2. If you do not plan on getting Rock band 2/3, then you don't have to worry about exporting at all.

It may be likely that exporting will require a code, but nothing official has been released or discovered regarding it yet.

But basically, if you are only looking to play Green Day RB off of the disc and download Green Day DLC, you will be fine regardless.

[quote name='fizzywix']

But basically, if you are only looking to play Green Day RB off of the disc and download Green Day DLC, you will be fine regardless.[/QUOTE]

You've been very helpful.

I went to Gamestop today. They had Rock Band 2 with a guitar controller, drums and microphone for 80 dollars so that seemed fair.

Now I have a controller and will try out my first music game and use accessories towards Green Day.

Enjoyed playing with friends over the weekend, even if I am terrible.

Looking forward to Green Day as know I'll like all those songs while on Rock Band 2 lot of hit or miss tracks. I prefer specific targeting rather than please everyone.

i would definitely recommend getting the guitar hero 3 wireless les paul. i've tried many guitar controllers, and it is by far the best.

if you are the patient type, you could order green day rock band, get your $20 videogame credit, and then buy the best guitar controller on the market from amazon for only $6 out of pocket and get a copy of guitar hero 3 along with it:

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Hero-I..._3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1274660593&sr=8-3

however, i would probably just order the gh3 bundle now.

^^^I may have to agree with you about the GH3 Les Paul. That thing is a work horse! I've been through a GH World Tour guitar, a GH5 guitar, and a Rock Band 1 guitar that all broke before the GH3 one I've had for years. And the GH3 one takes a ton more abuse doing the rapid notes on Expert.

My friends who come over kind of don't like the Les Paul though because it looks and feels more like a plastic toy than the RB guitar. And the young children who play at my house can only use the RB guitar since it has the second set of buttons closer to the base.

I can only remember one time when DLC Rock Band songs went on sale and it was only select songs. It's much easier to get points on sale and consider that your DLC sale.

[quote name='GunstarRed']

I can only remember one time when DLC Rock Band songs went on sale and it was only select songs. It's much easier to get points on sale and consider that your DLC sale.[/QUOTE]

Points?

[quote name='BShea']If you want more info, I've covered a LOT of GD:RB in my job, so I'll just post everything having to do with the game here. You'll find a full preview, a thing regarding all the pre-order bonuses that I've found, etc.

http://www.examiner.com/x-25487-Mus...reen-Day-Rock-Band?selstate=topcat#breadcrumb

Also I'll have a review up shortly before the game comes out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

I had a blast all weekend playing Rock Band 2 (mine) and Guitar Hero 5 (friends) this weekend so safe to say I'll be getting the plus version of Green Day.

This is likely a very silly question.

How do I get the mic on? I plug it in but unlike drum and guitar there is no switch or button on it, game doesn't recognise it is plugged in...do I need to do anything additional?

[quote name='ck76']This is likely a very silly question.

How do I get the mic on? I plug it in but unlike drum and guitar there is no switch or button on it, game doesn't recognise it is plugged in...do I need to do anything additional?[/QUOTE]
You need to have your controller on

[quote name='ck76']Points?[/QUOTE]

He means the point cards they sell in stores. PSN cards can be bought for a little cheaper at some places, so if you buy a $20 PSN card for like $16 or $17 then essentially you are getting RB DLC (or any DLC for that matter) at a cheaper price.

Also, these cards don't have tax applied to them. If they ring up with tax then don't buy em. Or maybe your state charges for "digital goods" which would suck lol.

bread's done
Back