Curse you CompUSA!

crowbb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I went to CompUSA today to spend my $210 in giftcards I got from all those rebates back in December. After the cashier spent 30-40 minutes figuring out how to ring up all 21 giftcards I happily went home with a new Nintendo DS and Saitek x52 joystick...at least I thought they were new. I start to open the DS and notice the seal is broken. Then I pull it out. The seal on all the bags are broken too. I open the screen, it has a few specks of dust on it. At this point I am pretty convinced it has been used before but just in case I still charge the thing up for several hours. It finishes charging and I turn it on and test out the Metroid demo it comes with. Everything works fine until I decide to mess with the touch screen and realize, the pointer thing is missing. As one final check I go to the setup screen and find the date, time, and a birthday and name for someone named "Joe" have already been entered. Bleh. Now I have to return it tommorrow after work and hope they have another.

[quote name='Scorch']good luck getting them to take something back that's been opened..[/quote]

Well if it's defective because the pointer is missing they might take it back. But then it is CompUSA. :whistle2:k That's the one thing I like about BB they accept everything I want to return.

[quote name='Scorch']good luck getting them to take something back that's been opened..[/quote]

Well, obviously, Joe had luck getting them to take it back, so I'd say his chances are pretty good if it's missing parts and been used previously by Joe.

Yes, it could be a problem. But I WILL make a fuss about it and I won't stop at in the store. If the person at the counter won't take it I go to a manager. If he won't I ask for a store manager. If there is still a problem I take down the names and store # and go to the BBB, NJ Attorney General, and their own website to file complaints against the store.

This has not failed me in the past. Last time CompUSA gave me and a friend trouble over buying a computer (refused to sell it until they offered the warranty about 50 times, and tried to keep us there until we said yes) complaining netted $50. I also got $100 from Best Buy from when they lied about the number of something they had for sale in an ad and they didn't have any many as the ad claimed.

Eh, the main point is the thing is used. I don't know what kind of beating it took before I got it. For all I know it could have been a floor display model or something. I just want something that is 100% new and any wear and tear is done by me.

Nintendo has a great warranty exchange program for all their products.

I don't get the big deal at people refusing to buy stuff that has been used. If it works fine, roll with it. I buy returned product all the time. With a discount if I can get it, without if I can't.

yeah right, for all of the people who don't mind about getting use stuff for the price of the new. OP go to Compusa asap. Get your money back...

You will have to think it thruogh first though. Im quite sure they will say " We cant take it cuz theres no proof that it was 'Joe' who did this and not you." Maybe ID would work.

[quote name='crowbb']Last time CompUSA gave me and a friend trouble over buying a computer (refused to sell it until they offered the warranty about 50 times, and tried to keep us there until we said yes) complaining netted $50..[/quote]

I was in there buying some speakers for my Mac (altec lansing) and the old man at the counter asks if I want the service plan. I tell him no, when I am walking away he goes you will not need the service plan you bought some great speakers.

my question what ever happend to stuff coming with at least one year warranty.

Stuff still comes with a warranty, which is why I never buy the store ones. They don't add on to the existing warranty. So if you buy something that has a 1 year warranty and they are trying to sell you a 2 year one, it's really just a 1 year one since you could just use the manufacturer's warranty for the first year.

In my case what happened was my friend was trying to buy a computer. He knew exactly what he wanted and asked them to get it. The salesman tried to sell him the warranty several times. Finally he said he'd go get the computer. Instead he got his manager, who tried to sell the warranty some more. Pretty irritated at this point my friend just demanded he get the computer, both of them disappear. The first salesman comes back alone and tries to sell the warranty yet again. Finally after yelling at him a bit he promises to get the computer. 10 minutes pass he is not back. We leave the store and both file complaints against that store. Eventually this nets a $50 gift thingie from CompUSA customer service. I don't think it was a card, but some kind of gift certificate. The catch was it had to be spent at that store. Though it didn't deter us.

I understand the bosses want them to push warranties these days since they make a huge profit on them. But it is just getting ridiculous.

[quote name='fanskad'][quote name='crowbb']Last time CompUSA gave me and a friend trouble over buying a computer (refused to sell it until they offered the warranty about 50 times, and tried to keep us there until we said yes) complaining netted $50..[/quote]

I was in there buying some speakers for my Mac (altec lansing) and the old man at the counter asks if I want the service plan. I tell him no, when I am walking away he goes you will not need the service plan you bought some great speakers.

my question what ever happend to stuff coming with at least one year warranty.[/quote]

[quote name='fanskad']Nintendo has a great warranty exchange program for all their products.

I don't get the big deal at people refusing to buy stuff that has been used. If it works fine, roll with it. I buy returned product all the time. With a discount if I can get it, without if I can't.[/quote]

If you don't mind paying a new price for a used product that's fine, but I doubt many on this site would be of the same opinion, and certainly I'm not. If I'm paying the $$$ for it to be new, it had better be fucking new.

Something like that happened to my friend once, but worse in my opinion. He just bought a new 3d sound card for about $200. It was the very first one ever made right when it came out. When he went home, he noticed that the shrink wrap was a loose, and really wierd looking. When he opened it, there was nothing but index cards in the box! We think someone that worked there stole the card, threw the index cards to give it some wieght, and did a quick shrink wrap job on it. He had no problems returning it, so I think you should be ok.

[quote name='GoatCheeseBlues']Something like that happened to my friend once, but worse in my opinion. He just bought a new 3d sound card for about $200. It was the very first one ever made right when it came out. When he went home, he noticed that the shrink wrap was a loose, and really wierd looking. When he opened it, there was nothing but index cards in the box! We think someone that worked there stole the card, threw the index cards to give it some wieght, and did a quick shrink wrap job on it. He had no problems returning it, so I think you should be ok.[/quote]
Index cards and shrink wrap... that's very creative... Also very odd. But good thing they took it back! Never had a problem with CompUSA except for them trying to push warranty plans on me. I only had to say no twice.

compusa_anim1.gif

Compusa should know that this was returned. When you buy it, they have to scan in the barcode of the unit in the back.

They would have that sale, plus the ID number of the DS returned. Heck they may even have the name on the credit card used to buy the DS the first time.

Well I stopped on the way home from work today. They said they have no problem exchanging it but they are out of stock and I have 2 choices. I can either go to the only other store in the area that supposedly has them in stock to exchange it, or I can wait until Tuesday when they are supposed to get more in and exchange it at the one near my work.

[quote name='crowbb']Well I stopped on the way home from work today. They said they have no problem exchanging it but they are out of stock and I have 2 choices. I can either go to the only other store in the area that supposedly has them in stock to exchange it, or I can wait until Tuesday when they are supposed to get more in and exchange it at the one near my work.[/quote]

Even though I hate doing it, I'd say wait for the next shipment.

The situation was resolved. I checked the past 3 days and every day they still had no new ones in stock. Finally I asked if I can just have store credit because I didn't want my window to return the thing to run out. The cashier told me she'd give me full credit back on my credit card. So I took that, headed over to Target and bought a new DS and Mr. Driller Drill Spirits. This time it was really a new one.

Whoa, the cashier gave you full credit on your credit card for stuff you used giftcards to pay for? CompUSA got shafted there. How'd you pull that one off?

Well I bought some other stuff with the DS so the entire purchase wasn't giftcards, though I only paid like $80 out of pocket which obviously doesn't cover the DS. I was as surprised as you when she offered to do it too, but I wasn't gonna ask questions. I just took my money back and ran.

bread's done
Back