Custom computer parts bought. Good/bad?

crazytalkx

CAGiversary!
I wanted to start on my Senior Project and decided to build a computer about two month ago so I decided to buy the parts at Fry's today and this is what I got. Everything is still sealed as I'm hoping to get some opinions on the parts before I use them (so returns are still a possibility), but I was aiming to build a good computer (not a top of the line monster) that would run Doom 3 and Half Life 2.

-Gigabyte K8 triton PCI-Express/Dual Channel DDR400 AMD 64 socket 339 motherboard
-Kingston 1gb 3200 dual 400mhz
-GeForce 6600 GT OC PCI-Express 128 mb GDDR3 1050mhz
-Western Digital 7200 RPM 250gb Hard Drive
-Amd Athlon 62 3500+ Processor (2.2 ghz clock speed)
-Antec Sonata II with 450w power supply
-Hammer 16x internal DVD/R/Rw drive

Total was about $1100 after taxes. Did I pay too much? Is there cheaper, equally good parts, or did I make the right choices? This is the first PC I'm building and any recommendations would help.

YOu can get a much better deal on a DVD-RW, Hard Drive, Power Supply, and RAM.

Also you can get a Abit motherboard for less. Other stuff I'm not so sure off the top of my head.

Check newegg.com as suggested earlier. They kick ass.

you overpaid for the graphics card big time. For that money you could get a really nice ATi x800 series card or a 6800 GT

the person who posted above me also made some valid points about what you overpaid on.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']you overpaid for the graphics card big time. For that money you could get a really nice ATi x800 series card or a 6800 GT

the person who posted above me also made some valid points about what you overpaid on.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I found the hard drive for about $50 cheaper at NewEgg, I'll compare graphics cards in the meantime, 1050mhz clockspeed doesn't seem too bad.

Your DVD drive is waaaaaaay too expensive. I don't even know WTF brand Hammer is but I find the NEC 3540A or 3520A as an awesome dvd burner and sells for about $40-50 at newegg. And the hard drive of that size can definitely be found for less than $160 online.

Yah like I mentioned, I'm going to return the hard drive, buy it online. I'll probably keep the DVD drive though since I can wait for the $20 rebate to come back (oh and its apparently a Panasonic).I can't wait to build the computer! Just the thoughts of going from a 700mhz Compaq Presario to this makes me giggle like a school girl.

i had nothing but trouble with Gigabyte
GA-K8NS(Nforce 3ultra 939) gave me DRAM POST errors(DRAM was fine)
My old 9600xt gave me heat problems (no OCing at all)
GeForce 6600 GT can be bought for $150(25mhz incease in ram is not worth 70)
If you don't care about HDR and PS3.0 then you could get a X800GT(about the same price)

bread's done
Back