D.I.C.E. - DS Download Service and Voice Chat in MP: Hunters

SpottedNigel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
From USATODAY.com

Nintendo announced new wireless features for its DS portable video game player Thursday, including a free service that will let consumers beam game demos and other content directly to the device.

Beginning in late March, the company plans to deploy electronic kiosks at thousands of U.S. retailers including Best Buy and GameStop.

Owners of the dual-screen DS who go near the kiosks will automatically receive a notice on their devices offering game demos, movie trailers and other content for temporary download. The information will be erased from the DS once it's turned off.

The service uses the DS's local-area wireless networking capabilities, which until now had been used just to facilitate head-to-head play by gamers near each other.

Nintendo also said it was adding voice chat to the sci-fi action game Metroid Prime: Hunters, available March 20. Players who join up for multiplayer battles over Nintendo's wireless Internet service will be able to talk to each other through the system's built-in microphone before and after games, but not during, said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America Inc.'s executive vice president of sales and marketing.

Fils-Aime added that a slimmed down, all-white Nintendo DS Lite would go on sale in Japan next month.

Just read this interesting....I may be picking up Metroid Prime Hunters...why no chat during play though?

[quote name='jkam']Just read this interesting....I may be picking up Metroid Prime Hunters...why no chat during play though?[/QUOTE]

Probably a bandwidth thing.

The option of downloading demos and trailers is pretty sweet.

Freakin awesome. I love my DS. Another blow to Sony, IMO...I don't think anyone thought Nintendo would get online so right after ignoring it for so long, but I think the DS model is the perfect online blueprint, at least for a handheld...

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Nintendo.com has a bit more information including the downloads to be available first[/QUOTE]

The first DS Download Service stations will include free demos of Tetris DS, Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day, Mario Kart DS, Meteos, True Swing Golf and Pokémon Trozei, along with a Metroid Prime Hunters video clip. The selection of games and other downloadable content at DS Download Service kiosks will refresh quarterly.

[quote name='jkam']Just read this interesting....I may be picking up Metroid Prime Hunters...why no chat during play though?[/QUOTE]

probably looking out for the kids

and make sure you pick up this game...no maybe about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='jkam']I love the demo idea...but I don't like that I have to best buy or gamestop with my DS.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

[quote name='jkam']I love the demo idea...but I don't like that I have to best buy or gamestop with my DS.[/QUOTE]

So where would you suggest that they broadcast them from? McDonalds?

[quote name='lebowsky']So where would you suggest that they broadcast them from? McDonalds?[/QUOTE]

My House. Well maybe once the revolution hits I can do it that way.

It'd be cool if the kiosks would have other goodies to download, extra content for Animal Crossing maybe. I don't know how the DS's memory works.

[quote name='undyingforce5']bad news...(atleast for me)

ign states that youll only be able to talk to people that are on your friends list. i dont know if everyone here just assumed but i was hoping to talk to strangers as well.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/687/687241p1.html[/QUOTE]

Please, there's enough investigative reporting about child molesters luring kids over the Internet as it is. (Of course, they blame the Internet and the online games, when my stance is, Who are these stupid children who are going to pedos' houses over an online chat with a stranger?)

ign states that youll only be able to talk to people that are on your friends list. i dont know if everyone here just assumed but i was hoping to talk to strangers as well.

who cares. its fine with me, i dont want to hear 11 year olds saying $$$$$$ all the time. at least if they are my friends i know they wont be doing that, or at least i can remove them if they do.

Thats cool, I didn't think they would do that here for awhile. I thought it would be a Japan only thing like most of the better shit. I hope we get one at our CC, if we did I'd bring my DS to work instead of my Micro.

What would be better is if they would just let us use our own wireless routers to download demos at home, but of course they want to save that for the Rev.

Anyone know the download range for the kiosk's?
When i goto my local Gamesop and park i'm no more than 30 feet away from the kiosk since they have them right in front of the store.

[quote name='USA Today']Owners of the dual-screen DS...[/QUOTE]

I can't decide what I want to say more:

"The dual-screen Dual Screen"

or

"As opposed to the single or tri-screen DS"

(FYI, I know DS can also stand for "Developer System".)

[quote name='Vegan']Btw, first person to say, "Where you at?" into their DS wins. lol[/QUOTE]

Haha...ha.

This is cool though, even though I'm not going to be getting the game. Hope to see it in more places.

Wt....I don't want hear you nannies talking to me before I smoke yo' asses, bitches.

:p

Good move on Nintendo's part. Shows they are listening to the community by meeting us halfway on certain features we want, but covering their asses and displaying incredible insight onto the cesspool that is intertron multiplayer.

FYI, the "kiosks" will not actually be that. They're making little white boxes for the stores to put in a central location. If you're in an EB for instance they may stash it behind the glass with all the games.

Kinda sucks we're not getting the fancy treatment that Japan gets, but I guess there's limited space.

My experience with the whole voice thing has been horrible. I have Socom for the PSP, which I'm going to assume is for a slightly older audience than the DS's market. All you hear is some person, usually a complete nerd, telling you useless stuff. The one that I remember the most was..."This player is good....beware of him." In the most monotone voice. I had to stop playing because I was laughing so much. Maybe it's just been MY experience, but I can do without the voice communication, just give me the damn game already!

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Seeing as how DS actually means "developer's system", saying "dual screen DS" isn't actually redundant, curiously enough.[/QUOTE]Uh...

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Seeing as how DS actually means "developer's system", saying "dual screen DS" isn't actually redundant, curiously enough.[/QUOTE]

Do me a favor. Read this and tell me what it says.

You're not showing me anything new there. The primary definition is "Developer's system"...thats been the case since they first announced the thing a couple years ago...they add that DS conveniently also stands for dual screen, but their primary intent with "DS" is to imply that its easy to develop for.

If you watch Reggie's press conference when he announces it, the powerpoint and most of his speech focuses on "developer's system"

[quote name='s3v3n777']My experience with the whole voice thing has been horrible. I have Socom for the PSP, which I'm going to assume is for a slightly older audience than the DS's market. All you hear is some person, usually a complete nerd, telling you useless stuff. The one that I remember the most was..."This player is good....beware of him." In the most monotone voice. I had to stop playing because I was laughing so much. Maybe it's just been MY experience, but I can do without the voice communication, just give me the damn game already![/QUOTE]

Since its not in-game, I can see it as being useful to talk about when to play next, as well as talking about good kills afterwards. Other than Burnout, I actually prefer having silence during actual gameplay.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']You're not showing me anything new there. The primary definition is "Developer's system"...thats been the case since they first announced the thing a couple years ago...they add that DS conveniently also stands for dual screen, but their primary intent with "DS" is to imply that its easy to develop for.

If you watch Reggie's press conference when he announces it, the powerpoint and most of his speech focuses on "developer's system"[/QUOTE]

I showed you exactly what I said, quoted on Nintendo.com no less. DS stands for both "Dual Screen" and "Developer's System".

So what I said orginally is true. USA Today was being redundant by saying "dual screen DS".

Is there a way to make Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing DS have voice-chat now?

I doubt it, but I really wish they could've done that.

[quote name='iheartmetal']who cares. its fine with me, i dont want to hear 11 year olds saying $$$$$$ all the time. at least if they are my friends i know they wont be doing that, or at least i can remove them if they do.[/QUOTE]

something that can be easliy solved with a mute option

I like this idea. The main thing keeping me off online services like Live is my unwillingness to hear some random 11 year old tossing out slurs during a game.

Basically, I only want to talk to you during gameplay if I'd let you into my house. By limiting chat to Friend Codes, that meets my needs perfectly.

bread's done
Back