D2D sale(Alpha Protocol $6, AvP $5.56, Darksiders $16, Back to the Future $17 & more)

It means you can activate the key in steam and download it through steam. No idea on the steamworks part.

Does Alpha Protocol through D2D get you a cd-key you can use on Steam? I know people were saying that was the case for GreenMenGaming...but I missed the price mistake over there.

I don't see it on Valve's list of cd-keys that work on steam.

[quote name='wildpygmy']Does Alpha Protocol through D2D get you a cd-key you can use on Steam? I know people were saying that was the case for GreenMenGaming...but I missed the price mistake over there.

I don't see it on Valve's list of cd-keys that work on steam.[/QUOTE]
No, its not one of the games you can register. Darksiders can though.

[quote name='wildpygmy']Does Alpha Protocol through D2D get you a cd-key you can use on Steam? I know people were saying that was the case for GreenMenGaming...but I missed the price mistake over there.

I don't see it on Valve's list of cd-keys that work on steam.[/QUOTE]

Alpha Protocol PC was protected in ALL versions by Uniloc.
Yes, even Steam version had this protection as additional protection.

Uniloc DRM was removed w/ Patch 1.10 that was recently released.

[quote name='Rock Howard']Can Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising be activated on steam?[/QUOTE]
Dawn of War 2 can, but it says nothing about Chaos Rising.

I would be interested in Darksiders for PC if there were mods for it. I see that you can edit you save, but that's not enough to make me return my unplayed console version.

[quote name='Rock Howard']Can Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising be activated on steam?[/QUOTE]

Yes it has to be activated through steam actually.

I dont like D2D, but the ability to buy them there and activate them on steam is interesting. I guess it just matters on which game uses Steamworks for their titles.

Already have AP for PS3, but a PC copy for dirt cheap would be nice.

[quote name='TheKbob']I dont like D2D, but the ability to buy them there and activate them on steam is interesting. I guess it just matters on which game uses Steamworks for their titles.

Already have AP for PS3, but a PC copy for dirt cheap would be nice.[/QUOTE]
$6 on D2D and $9 with free shipping from Newegg.

Wow, I'm amazed how fast Alpha Protocol continues to drop. First, $7.50 for the Steam Give and Get sale. Then, $6.75 at Greenman Gaming. Now this.

All right, CAG's, I've found myself in a tough spot: Do I wait for the Steam Holiday Sale, or do I go ahead and grab Alpha Protocol for $6?

It's getting harder and harder to wait until the 20th.

I don't want to sound like an ass but I don't really see the appeal of having a game run through steam vs independently(which is what D2D is). I personally like D2D for most games since you don't have to worry about being online for the game or not, it's more or less a copy off a DVD (plus i had just the unpleasant experience of having to move my dad's entire steam folder since you can't choose where to put specific games). The only thing I would like steam for would be the multiplayer games where you can join via the friends list, but Dawn of War (the one mentioned in this thread) uses Games For Windows interface to deal with multiplayer.

[quote name='Lithos']I don't want to sound like an ass but I don't really see the appeal of having a game run through steam vs independently(which is what D2D is). I personally like D2D for most games since you don't have to worry about being online for the game or not, it's more or less a copy off a DVD (plus i had just the unpleasant experience of having to move my dad's entire steam folder since you can't choose where to put specific games). The only thing I would like steam for would be the multiplayer games where you can join via the friends list, but Dawn of War (the one mentioned in this thread) uses Games For Windows interface to deal with multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Look at steamtool.com. That gives you an easy way to move between the main steam directory and a secondary one, using Windows Vista/7 awesomeness. You do need to turn Steam off to use it. Then you can turn it back on. It's a damn shame that Steam doesn't put something like that directly into Steam or give some way to just manually select the directory, but hey... you can't have everything.

I prefer Steam, myself, because I love the autopatching. It works very well. D2D's through Comrade sucks. Horribly.

And patching manually is fun until you try patching Company of Heroes from 1.0 to the latest. You know, when you have to do each patch in succession. Because that's a lot of fun.

EDIT: And I'm tempted by the Darksiders price, but man... a game that's like $15 for the console versions on amazon being $16 after discount seems meh. Meh in that I think THQ will knock the price down to like $10 soon. I don't know why, but I just got that feelin'. I guess I'll cross my fingers and wait.

[quote name='Zin_LG']I doubt it will get any lower than this in 2010. Next you could see it for $5 on sale.[/QUOTE]
You've got a point there; The extra $1 is basically to play it a few months before the $4.99 price point hits. Truly, that's not awful by any stretch.

Can anyone confirm if there's any DRM at all for Alpha Protocol? (Is Uniloc truly gone, leaving the game DRM free?)

[quote name='EliotAndrews']You've got a point there; The extra $1 is basically to play it a few months before the $4.99 price point hits. Truly, that's not awful by any stretch.

Can anyone confirm if there's any DRM at all for Alpha Protocol? (Is Uniloc truly gone, leaving the game DRM free?)[/QUOTE]
The patch isn't on D2D, but the 1.01 patch fixes installation issues and removes the DRM.

http://help.sega.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=865

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Can anyone confirm if there's any DRM at all for Alpha Protocol? (Is Uniloc truly gone, leaving the game DRM free?)[/QUOTE]

I can confirm it is gone with the latest patch. I installed & played offline, was never even asked for my serial number.

But I can't confirm if the patch works on D2D, I have it on GamersGate. It's not listed on D2D's patches page, but the generic European/DD patch (not the US disc-only patch) might work fine on D2D. It works on both GG and Steam, apparently, so I don't see why D2D would have a problem.

[quote name='bitter1961']I can confirm it is gone with the latest patch. I installed & played offline, was never even asked for my serial number.

But I can't confirm if the patch works on D2D, I have it on GamersGate. It's not listed on D2D's patches page, but the generic European/DD patch (not the US disc-only patch) might work fine on D2D. It works on both GG and Steam, apparently, so I don't see why D2D would have a problem.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the confirmation, Mr. Bitter.

While I'm still on the fence, I suspect I'll be grabbing Alpha Protocol before this sale is over.

EDIT: Oh, dude, I missed Zin's message. Thanks for your confirmation; I appreciate the reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm grabbing Bad Company 2 Vietnam for $11.96!

Ahh yeah!

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam 1 $14.95 Remove You just saved 20% on your D2D order! - Remove
- $2.99

Telltales 'Back to the Future' for $17 is an awesome deal! That's $8 less than the preorder price listed on Telltales site. Can't beat that if you love adventure games.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Wow, I'm amazed how fast Alpha Protocol continues to drop. First, $7.50 for the Steam Give and Get sale. Then, $6.75 at Greenman Gaming. Now this.

All right, CAG's, I've found myself in a tough spot: Do I wait for the Steam Holiday Sale, or do I go ahead and grab Alpha Protocol for $6?

It's getting harder and harder to wait until the 20th.[/QUOTE]

If you want it on Steam wait for the Holiday sale. Otherwise, I would probably pick it up for that price.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']Sonic and Sega All Star Racing for under $4 is a fantastic deal. Would be all over that if I didn't already have it.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='big_erk']I've been debating picking up AP and for $6.00 couldn't resist.[/QUOTE]
I guess the only thing to consider is the additional tax, which adds about 40 cents to the order. Even with that extra amount, these deals are still pretty good.

[quote name='DizoAZ']I'm grabbing Bad Company 2 Vietnam for $11.96!

Ahh yeah!

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam 1 $14.95 Remove You just saved 20% on your D2D order! - Remove
- $2.99[/QUOTE]

Do you need a copy of BC2 bought through D2D to use this expansion, or will this work with my retail hard copy of the game?

Doesn't say anything about needing the D2D version of BC2. Borderlands' DLC has the warning that you need the D2D copy to play them so you might not for BCV.

Whats with the "There is a 3 item limit on checkout. You can try removing items from your cart. Please contact Customer Service for further information."

When I only have one item in my cart each time? I can't buy a game even if I wanted to. Cleaned cache, tried 2 different pcs. Between this and the horrible comrade downloader I think I may have to give up on D2D.

I picked up AP yesterday when I could but had to download it three times and uninstall comrade everytime I re-booted! How annoying!

bread's done
Back