Damn, Beastie Boys fell off.

bileanddecay

CAGiversary!
I've definitely tried to like them in the past, but from what I hear all their music (if you can call it that) sounds the same. The meter in their beats are teh SAME, and all the SCREAMING they do does nothing to display any talent they may have. Don't get me wrong, I find some of their songs (if you can call them that) to be really good party songs, but even those wear on the ear drums like a saw cutting through a petrified log with a rusty nail in it.

Plus, they look like geriatrics. I think it's time they threw in the towel. They look absolutely horrible.

Thoughts on this? Or can anyone convice me otherwise? I'm open to solid arguments and justifications.

That is your opinion and I'm not going to try and change it. I grew up on their music and find it pleasant on my ears. I don't think the songs sound the same, but they all do hold a certain feel. I will agree that the new single isn't that great. I heard all the other tracks on the new album and there are better ones out there. The beats per minute in the songs do vary. Take High Plains Drifter from Paul's Boutigue and compare that to Intergalactic.

I don't know when you started listening to them or how much of the library your ears consumed. Cookiepuss sounds nothing like Boomin' Granny. And come on Netty's Girl is a classic...lol.

Beastie Boys fell off?

Fell off what? A ten story building onto solid pavement, yes? Please?

I've never understood the appeal of this bunch to anyone beyond teenage boys who value getting drunk over getting laid since beer is cheaper than women and more accessible.

Their old music is the shit, especially licensed to ill, but their newer stuff isn't quite up to par. Although mix master mike owns.

I like that Sabotage song. but thats probably only cause trhe music video was funny. Everything else sucks besides that old fight for your right to party song (good for its time), and even that songs ancient.

Well the band formed 25 years ago so of cousre their gonna be old, but still who cares I think their great and their new music is sometimes refreshing among alll the crap that's out there these days.

I loved their old stuff, and still listen to it. Their new stuff is something all together. I've tried to like it, but just can't.

Just listen to Paul's Boutique a few times, and remember that it came out in 1989. The album came out of nowhere (it's absolutely nothing like Licensed to Ill), and even today, it's stunning. That, for me, is why I'll always give these guys a chance.

Paul's Boutique is one of the best rap albums of all time. It is great. Recent Beastie Boys endeavors have been so-so. Hello Nasty was mediocre, and I haven't had a chance to full explore the new one, but I'm not a fan of the new single. They are still my favorite white rappers though.

I just listened to their new album on MTV.com and I like it. There are some great songs on it. There is also some filler, but for the most part its great. My favorite song from the new album so far is "An Open Letter to NYC", damn that song is awesome.

I like all of their previous albums a lot and never felt like they are taking a turn for the worse. One of my favorite CD's ever by them is the Root down EP. They have some live stuff on their that blows my mind. I wish they would release a double cd live album. As with any band/group there are people that will love them and hate them, and thats OK.

The beastie Boys are one of the most musically knowledgeable hip-hop groups around. Listen to Paul's Boutique. It's a sonic masterpiece. If you think they're nothing more than what was on Licensed to Ill or stuff like Sabatoge, then you're in for a surprise. I don't like the political bent of their new album, but they're still brilliant when it comes to music.

buy the new cd
i already have it burned
but it is the only cd i would ever buy
I'm the CAG beastie boys poster
their beats are not the same
and the only rappers who play instruments and first
so more more could want
so what
so what
so what u want

They make fun videos, and they're music is actually really interesting if you give the albums a shot. I personally dislike "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" and "Fight For Your Right", but I really enjoy their newer records, and "Sabatoge", how could you not enjoy that?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']It's all about the videos.[/quote]

...and that's the reason I don't own a single one of their albums, but have the two disc DVD Criterion Collection of all their videos. Booyah!

Beastie Boys are amazing. Paul's Boutique is one of the best hip-hop CDs of all time and in the 20 years they have been making music - successfully - they still have a unique sound unlike a lot of rock and rap stars who are copied a months after they hit it big...

I agree that Sabotage is a great song (and an even greater video). However when I listen to their music, all I hear is screaming.

I personally don't hear the lyrical depth and style I hear when I listen to De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, or (especially) Mos Def.

Beastie Boys are some of the best performers of all time. True, most of their music has the same "feel", and I love that feel. The fact that they are still even making music deserves applause, not even acknowledging that the new album is actually pretty good.

strugglin, eventually they will become just a legend like run dmc. did ne one see them perform on the mtv movie awards? they have mad white hair and the performance was no where close to Yeah Yeah Yeahs - maps.

neither was d12's performance... hip hop has reached its apex? or it sucked cause they didnt have kayan west on.

sometimes i forget who's in the group, that's why it's convenient that they remind me it's mike d, adrock and mca in almost every single song.

[quote name='thatstoobad']sometimes i forget who's in the group, that's why it's convenient that they remind me it's mike d, adrock and mca in almost every single song.[/quote]

thats rich. just rich. lmao

[quote name='rimsforsale'][quote name='thatstoobad']sometimes i forget who's in the group, that's why it's convenient that they remind me it's mike d, adrock and mca in almost every single song.[/quote]

thats rich. just rich. lmao[/quote]

Very well put.

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs sucked balls. Beastie Boys had the best performance hands down. You couldn't even hear the lead singers voice during the YYYs performance.

the Beastie Boys was my favorite group for a while. I don't listen to them much anymore, but I still respect them. I think they've got a unique sound that sounds good at the same time.

Plus, Brass Monkey fucking rules.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']The Yeah Yeah Yeahs sucked balls. Beastie Boys had the best performance hands down. You couldn't even hear the lead singers voice during the YYYs performance.[/quote]

ill give you that we couldnt hear her singing, but yeah yeah yeahs really put up a better "performance" dont you think? the beastie boys really didnt put up a good fight, they just jumped around and did their thing like monkeys... brass monkeys.. laser equalizers.. common, its not the 90's no mo.

dude, theres other ppl in yeah yeah yeahs. i like them for the music too, the band is awsome. old school hip hop is coo, but b boys' song really all sound the same,
it goes; la la la la la la BLAW!, la la lala la la COW! lala la la lala FOUL! la lala la lala NOW! MCA mikeD, adrock YOW! something along those lines keke.. i like them too thou dont get me wrong.

The yeah yeah yeah's sounded a little off on the awards. Beastie boys sounded like they do in the video. One thing I appreciiate is when a group sounds the same live as they do on their cd's. I've seen Nelly and 50 cent on award shows and they don't sound like they do on their albums. I've also seen the beastie boys in concert for the Hello Nasty tour and it was one of the best shows i've been to.

I disagree with the corellation betwen the Beastie Boys and Eminem. Em had Dre bring him up, plus he had mad lyrical talents.

Brass Monkey, that funky Monkey
Brass Monkey junkie
That funky Monkey

Got this dance that's more than real
Drink Brass Monkey here's how you feel
Put your left leg down, your right leg up
Tilt your head back let's finish the cup
M.C.A. with the bottle
D. rocks the can
Adrock gets nice with Charlie Chan
We're offered Moet, we don't mind Chivas
Wherever we go with bring the Monkey with us
Adrock drinks three
Mike D. is D.
Double R. foots the bill most definitely
I drink Brass Monkey and I rock well
I got a catle in Brooklyn that's where I dwell

Brass Monkey junkie
That funky Monkey

Cause I drink it anytime and anyplace
When it's time to get ill I pour it on my face
Monkey tastes def when you pour it on ice
Come on y'all it's time to get nice
Coolin' by the lockers getting kind of funky
Me and the crew, we're drinking Brass Monkey
This girl walked by she gave me the eye
I reached in the locker grabbed the Spanish Fly
I put it with the Monkey mixed it in the cup
Went over to the girl, "Yo baby, what's up?"
I offered her a sip, the girl she gave me lip
It did begin the stuff wore in and now she's on my tip

Brass Monkey junkie
That funky Monkey

Step up to the bar put the girl down
She takes a big gulp and slaps it around
Take a sip, you can do it, you get right to it
We had a case in the place and we went right through it
You got a dry Martini thinking you're cool
I'll take your place at the bar, I smack you off your stool
I'll down a '40 dog" in a single gulp
And if you got beef you'll get beat to a pulp
Monkey and parties and reelin' and rockin'
Def, def
Girls, girls
All y'all jockin'
The song and dance keeping you in a trance
If you don't buy my record I got my advance
I drink it
I think it
I see it
I be it
I love Brass Monkey but I won't give D. it
We got the bottle you got the cup
Come on everybody let's get ffffff

Brass Monkey junkie
That funky Monkey

Some may still think the Beastie boys have fallen off, but I just checked rollingstone.com and they give the new album 5 out of 5 stars. Not bad for a 20 year old group. Just thought I would pass that along. I like the new album but i'm not a professional reviewer.

I think the new ablum is great it has an old school flavor to it. The only disappoint I had was that they didn't really play any instruments this time around. Besides that I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars!

Recommended Songs:
Rhyme The Rhyme Well
Triple Trouble
Oh Word?
All Life Styles
Crawlspace

[quote name='matyou']Some may still think the Beastie boys have fallen off, but I just checked rollingstone.com and they give the new album 5 out of 5 stars. Not bad for a 20 year old group. Just thought I would pass that along. I like the new album but i'm not a professional reviewer.[/quote]

i wouldnt give a blank's blank about "pro" album reviewers... if that's a real profession... what it comes down to is the public's opions. sometimes even crap albums sell, and hidden treasures.. uh remain hidden. IMHO b boys should step into the background via retirement and stick to producing. so they can keep their spot as legends, and be forever mentioned in those vh1 specials.

"and the only rappers who play instruments and first"

What about The Roots, meng? I don't even like rap and I knew this.

The beastie boys are an exceptional band that has stood the test of time. Much of their music such as Sabotage is still played today is creditted as one of the greatest videos. They are true experimenters, for if you've ever listened to one of their cds from beginning to end and compared it to another one of there cds that you've listened through, than you would know that with each album they try to reinvent themselves. And although i don't have the new cd yet, a sure that it is still just as good. There performance at the MTV MOvie Awards was less than stellar. They did not seem like the beasties of old and actually seemed old literally. With a regular band such as Nirvanna or Green Day,it is easy to get the crowd hyped up so when the Beasties sing they truly need to get the audience going, which by the way that they performed doesn't seem up to the task.

The yaeh yaeh yaehs were alright, but they basically did what they did in the video; the lead singer sung and only waved her arm around with the microphone. I forgot to say in my earlier post that the beastie boys bring some old school hip hop to all of this "new" hip hop that sounds either the same or repetitive.

yea i guess its all in the ear of the beholder. for me everytime i hear any beastie boys on the radio i think its the same song. xept for brass monkey, cause who can forget the monkey?

when i see the words beastie boys the verse "check check check check check ch-check it out, what wh-what what were all about" pops into my head.

i use to be a mad hiphop junky, back when dialiated peoples were an underground band and performed in small pubs down in Orange County and on university campuses, but the radio today is barmbarded with meaningless rap and the slaughtered theme of rags to riches, bitches, and diamond rings. i find myself to only enjoy rap/hiphop in clubs where its more for the beat then "listening pleasure"

bread's done
Back