damn pc resetting (resolved, thanx CAG!)

R1V3R5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
So, my pc keeps turning off. I assumed it was the power supply as it does it only during strenuous activities. However, I just replaced the power supply with a more powerful name-brand power supply today and the damn thing still turned off while ripping a dvd. I thought maybe it might be the ram so I set up Memtest86 and left it to run while I stepped out for a bit. I return to find that my computer is off. So, maybe it is my ram?

It could be the cpu as it seems a little on the warm side but it's an older pc and socket A chips by AMD are known for running warm. I think it shows in the bios 60c and that is sure hot but I also don't know how accurate that is.

So, right now I'm leaning towards replacing the memory. I need to, realistically, replace everything except the power supply, optical drives, and hard-drive. My pc was a powerhouse about 6 years ago when I used to be a pc gamer but I eventually moved on to consoles. I don't know if it's even worth replacing the ram (pc3200) when it's so outdated.

Do you think it's my memory? Do you think I need to do a total overhaul even though I don't have the funds?

Last edited by a moderator:
First try checking out the connections in your computer and make sure all the fans are all working. This could easily be a heat issue. I haven't really heard of RAM shutting a computer down. Usually it will fail to load things and freeze or cause weird BSOD errors. If you have 2 sticks try them one at a time. Otherwise it might be worth it to just get a new computer since DDR1 ram is really quite expensive compared to DDR2. Just reuse the parts you listed and the case and all you will need is RAM, a motherboard, a video card, and a processor. All that could run you only around $200-$300 if you go on the low end and I'm sure would still be much better than your current computer.

I had a problem like this, no matter what I did, couldn't figure it out until I noticed that I had a mini fridge I had forgotten about. It was still plugged in, and on the same surge protector as my comp. Unplugged it, and bam, problem was solved. Might not be your problem, but couldn't hurt to check exactly what you've got plugged into your surge protector.

Well, I ordered ram to see if it helps resolve the problem. Once it gets resolved I'm very likely to build a new pc and pass this one on to my sister.

I just helped someone fix one that was doing the same thing, turned out to be an overheating processor, we put some more of the CPU Gel on it, and it works fine now

since the other had dried because of the heat

[quote name='MrDubbs']I just helped someone fix one that was doing the same thing, turned out to be an overheating processor, we put some more of the CPU Gel on it, and it works fine now

since the other had dried because of the heat[/QUOTE]

If the ram doesn't resolve the issue then I'll order some arctic silver next week. Right now it's rocking some arctic silver and a big ass thermaltake cooler that's been on there for 5+ years.

[quote name='MrDubbs']I just helped someone fix one that was doing the same thing, turned out to be an overheating processor, we put some more of the CPU Gel on it, and it works fine now

since the other had dried because of the heat[/quote]

More thermal paste isn't always a good thing. It certainly won't hurt to apply a fresh layer, but putting to much could actually result in over heating.

[quote name='Jest']More thermal paste isn't always a good thing. It certainly won't hurt to apply a fresh layer, but putting to much could actually result in over heating.[/quote]

I wasn't trying to apply to put to much on, but if he's had the fan on there for 5+ years as he said, then it could be all dried up

You guys were right. I changed the ram and nothing was resolved. I ordered some arctic silver and pulled the heatsink off. It looked fine but I don't think there was not enough contact between the processor and the heatsink. It probably would have helped if the heatsink wasn't on backwards! I don't know how the hell that happened but it ran fine for over 5 years like that, lol. I would like to blame some asshat for doing it but it was actually me who put that damn thing on there! What the fuck was I thinking? Lucky for me I had some alcohol on hand to clean the old paste off. I also cleaned the heatsink out as it was full of dust. Took all of five minutes to fix.

Anyway, it was a quick fix and she runs nice and cool. Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back