Damn router, need advice / help

Viva Las Vegas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I currently am using a D-Link DI-514 router and a D-Link DWL-810+ wireless bridge. I have had this working for years, but am pretty clueless to the ins & outs of networks. I hate quitters and now my router is dropping me from Xbox live in the middle of matches. Can someone recomend me a good router that will work with my current wireless bridge. I'd like to keep it cheap and something that is as easy to set up as possible and of course work with Xbox live. Any suggestions? Does every router drop you occasionaly from live?
One last question. Is it safe to assume it is the router that is the cause of my disconnects and not the bridge? Every once in a while I have to reboot my router to get online so that is the only reason that leads me to beleive it is not my bridge.

Many thanks for reading through all this and any advice is very much appreciated!

Do you drop because you lose signal to the bridge? Or does your ping just jump too high and you timeout randomly?

If your signal strength isn't very strong, you'll probably always occaisonally have a disconnect or two occur, regardless of router.

What are your router settings?

"Do you drop because you lose signal to the bridge? Or does your ping just jump too high and you timeout randomly? "
Good question. I don't know. How would I be able to tell? Not sure what router settings your asking for. When I'm connected I never have any lag. I'm just getting some disconnects in games that piss me off cause i really hate quitters.

Looking for routers is a pain. So many conflicting reviews of the same models. Half say one is great and the other half complain about constant rebooting, etc. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I had a great 802.11b router, but it started flaking out on me. Think it got partially zapped in a power surge or something. It was like 5 years old. Anyway, I had to get a new one. I got the D-Link Gaming Router. It was a bit expensive, but it has worked well for a long time now. My only problem is that it won't do wireless sync with my Zune. I'd recommend you buy a newer D-Link model so that it will play well with your existing D-Link hardware.

This looks like the ticket:
http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=643

Wish they had that back when I was shopping for one...

You probably have it set up wrong. I pretty much had the exact same setup for a while, and though it never dropped me from matches it forced me to constantly reset it to connect to my network.

After two years I finally realized I could set up the network a different way, and I didn't have any problems since then, until my wireless bridge crapped out and completely died (probably from heat cracking).

So yeah, I don't remember how I fixed it, but eventually I did (not the bricked bridge, the FUBAR'd network).

Good luck with that.

Wired connections FTMFW!!

I have a Belkin that sometimes needs a reboot to get wireless back to snuff... for whatever reason, devices that connect wirelessly sometimes cannot receive their IP (and default to a non-useful one). I'm sure I shouldn't use DHCP on my wireless devices, but it sure is convenient. ;) Trouble is, before something zapped my mega-cool Linksys, I never had to reboot the router... ever.

So, it's all in who you buy from, I suppose. I don't know about new Linksys quality (since they went to a VxWorks *ack pooey!* kernel and halved the sram), but the older ones sure were workhorses.

I have a linksys wireless N network. Works perfect, Im host most games, no lag what so ever..

just depends on your connection strength though, mines fairly close to the 360/router combo, and I dont have any problems.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I currently am using a D-Link DI-514 router and a D-Link DWL-810+ wireless bridge. I have had this working for years, but am pretty clueless to the ins & outs of networks. I hate quitters and now my router is dropping me from Xbox live in the middle of matches. Can someone recomend me a good router that will work with my current wireless bridge. I'd like to keep it cheap and something that is as easy to set up as possible and of course work with Xbox live. Any suggestions? Does every router drop you occasionaly from live?
One last question. Is it safe to assume it is the router that is the cause of my disconnects and not the bridge? Every once in a while I have to reboot my router to get online so that is the only reason that leads me to beleive it is not my bridge.

Many thanks for reading through all this and any advice is very much appreciated![/quote]

First off; who is your ISP? Does this happen in all games or just a certain one? Have you always had this problem or did it start recently? How far is your 360 from your router? Are you sharing your wireless network, and it's bandwith, with other users at the same time?

About a year and a half ago, I moved to a new neighborhood where I could get FIOS. Before that I was using Comcast with a Linksys Wireless-G router, (WRT54GS v.5), and the MS wireless adapter that I got a deal on at EBay. I was getting dropped all the time, and the problem was almost always with the IP Address. The router works like a champ, the problem was Comcast.

After switching to FIOS, my XBL connection is amazing. Verizon uses a Actiontec router and they put it in my basement that has alot of concrete in the walls. My 360 is in my bedroom two floors up. The only online gaming problems I've had since then was when TF2 was first released. The lag reminded me of dial-up and I got dropped in game, in the lobby, everywhere til it got patched.

My point is that it might not be your equipment but your connection. I still use my Linksys for one of my pc's and it works just fine.

[quote name='coalhalo']First off; who is your ISP? Does this happen in all games or just a certain one? Have you always had this problem or did it start recently? How far is your 360 from your router? Are you sharing your wireless network, and it's bandwith, with other users at the same time?

About a year and a half ago, I moved to a new neighborhood where I could get FIOS. Before that I was using Comcast with a Linksys Wireless-G router, (WRT54GS v.5), and the MS wireless adapter that I got a deal on at EBay. I was getting dropped all the time, and the problem was almost always with the IP Address. The router works like a champ, the problem was Comcast.

After switching to FIOS, my XBL connection is amazing. Verizon uses a Actiontec router and they put it in my basement that has alot of concrete in the walls. My 360 is in my bedroom two floors up. The only online gaming problems I've had since then was when TF2 was first released. The lag reminded me of dial-up and I got dropped in game, in the lobby, everywhere til it got patched.

My point is that it might not be your equipment but your connection. I still use my Linksys for one of my pc's and it works just fine.[/quote]
Not sharing the bandwith with anything else. The router is about 50 ft away. The problems have started more recently. It actually mostly happens in Carcassone.

bread's done
Back