Dance Dance Revolution

mattstockton12

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So...there are a lot of them. I'd like to get one to play with the lady friend, but I have no idea which one to get. Any suggestions or descriptions to help me out? Not interested in the whole eye-toy functionality or any other gimmicks. Just want to know if there are any versions I should outright avoid or any that stand above the pack. Thanks!

[quote name='mattstockton12']So...there are a lot of them. I'd like to get one to play with the lady friend, but I have no idea which one to get. Any suggestions or descriptions to help me out? Not interested in the whole eye-toy functionality or any other gimmicks. Just want to know if there are any versions I should outright avoid or any that stand above the pack. Thanks![/quote]
Extreme 2 and Supernova 1 are both fantastic. Supernova 2 has been getting less accolades from people, but I can't yet provide any thoughts on that one as I don't have it yet, but ordered it today for $26.31 shipped from frys.com deal. I figure it has to be worth $26.31, plus so far the people that aren't loving it seem to be expert players. I'm not an expert player. I play on difficult and have only once finished a song on heavy, and that being the easiest heavy available, nor can I finish a number of the faster songs even on "difficult". There are those for whom DDRMAX2 is their favorite. I like DDRMAX2, but not as much as Extreme 2 and Supernova 1, both of which have a lot more variety IMHO, as well as better licensed songs, and more fun unlock systems.

I also have In The Groove, which has it's following, but I couldn't get past the irritatingly long load times in that game. I feel like I'm just standing around far too much in that game.

I'd say the only american playstation 2 DDR you should outright avoid is DDR Extreme 1. All other versions are pretty good. I'd say DDR Max 2 and DDR Extreme 2 are my two favorite american versions.. If you can play Japanese Playstation 2 games, definitely pick up DDR Extreme and DDR Party Collection.

I don't think the American version of DDR Extreme is bad dyre but I think MAX2 has some great licensed song offerings, moreso then Extreme. I would say Extreme is worth buying just for "There You'll Be"(not available on any other home mix even Japanese) and "Wonderland (UKS Mix)".

I'm interested in getting another DDR game as well.

I have DDR MAX2, and I like it, but the songs are played out for me by now.

I like Electronic/Dance/DJ music. House, progressive house, etc.

What I dont want is a DDR filled with KC & the Sunshine Band, and Britney Spears, disco & pop-crap type stuff.

Which game would you reccomend for me?

[quote name='Puffa469']I'm interested in getting another DDR game as well.

I have DDR MAX2, and I like it, but the songs are played out for me by now.

I like Electronic/Dance/DJ music. House, progressive house, etc.

What I dont want is a DDR filled with KC & the Sunshine Band, and Britney Spears, disco & pop-crap type stuff.

Which game would you reccomend for me?[/quote]

The first MAX? I have this one and can vouch that it is solid and fits the genres you mentioned, for the most part. If you're a heavy player, however, you might find many of the heavy stepcharts to be less challenging than MAX 2. I believe there is more techno on MAX than the Supernovas (which are heavier in the liscensed crap).

A lot of players regard Extreme 2 as the best Am. PS2 mix, but I cannot comment on that.

I don't think the American version of DDR Extreme is bad dyre but I think MAX2 has some great licensed song offerings, moreso then Extreme. I would say Extreme is worth buying just for "There You'll Be"(not available on any other home mix even Japanese) and "Wonderland (UKS Mix)".

I'd have to agree with Dyre. From what I played of Extreme (several hours one weekend), I was very underwhelmed by the songlist. I didn't get into many of the unlocks, but I still think Extreme might be one of the last options for a home mix. I also have to add that I don't think "Wonderland" is worth the price of admission, but "There You'll Be" is pretty good.

Well, I like the licensed music in Extreme 2 and Supernova 1 quite a bit, and it also has great unlicensed stuff. Something for everyone, as they say. I have Supernova 2 now, but won't be playing it until xmas. There, however, the licensed stuff doesn't look so good.

Does anyone know if this one is any good?

31EiIR3U1lL.jpg

[quote name='VAD3R or Fro']Ive gotten tired of DDR.[/quote]
I know :/..

I used to play the game constantly. In college, I hosted DDR Sunday nights and we would play from 6pm up until 11pm with a break for the Simpsons. I went through so many DDR pads, but it was a great time ^_^

All of my pads are worn out and really don't work anymore.. Now that I've graduated college, I should really buy an end-all pad that can replace all my broken ones and will last me for the rest of time... but I really have no ambition to do so..

Living near a DDR machine is pretty helpful though.. I find much more enjoyable walking to the mall and playing a couple games of DDR in the arcade, rather than setting everything up in my basement.

Anyways...

I like Supernova quite a bit, but the home version was missing some of my favorite tracks the arcade unit had. Does Supernova 2 have a more definitive listing from the arcade or is all licensed crap? DDR Freak stopped updating about a year ago...

[quote name='Nohbdy']There You'll Be is generic tripe.[/QUOTE]

This from the person who likes all the Ultramix games. I'm not saying the first two didn't have some good Dancemania offerings but I wouldn't pick up the 3rd and 4th. There's also the matter that ALL the PS2 DDR's, American and Japanese, have a solid 60 FPS rate which almost all if not all XBox DDR's are only like 30 or slightly higher.
I can't believe you actually LIKE Supernova dyre. Ugh.
Btw Konamix is bs, the original American PS DDR has some good Dancemania offerings.

[quote name='Sarang01']I can't believe you actually LIKE Supernova dyre. Ugh.[/quote]

I think we have differing tastes here, my friend ... especially if you can stand DDR Extreme USA

[quote name='dyreschlock']I think we have differing tastes here, my friend ... especially if you can stand DDR Extreme USA[/QUOTE]

I like the Dancemania stuff period for the most part. I liked DDR to begin with because it didn't have music I'd hear on the radio or it was old, quality American stuff. Add to that the stuff not heard on the radio is quality. As it stands I believe World Pop is better then American period, Dancemania proves this. It also proves that the Japanese have better taste in even English Pop then we do, at least as of late.
Shit it takes Captain Jack and Andamiro to even make Village People song's sound good, see "In the Navy" and the remix of E-Paksa's "Rock'N'Roll High School" with his version of "YMCA" by AM. Seriously Captain Jack could take any Pop turd, especially 70's and possibly 80's and turn it into gold. It's too bad he's dead.

If you like more Americanized music instead of J-Pop, there's also In The Groove. :) I'd stick away from it for now because of the massive load times, but it gives a very fresh feel if you want different music, different stepchart style, and harder difficulty.

[quote name='Battousai1002']If you like more Americanized music instead of J-Pop, there's also In The Groove. :) I'd stick away from it for now because of the massive load times, but it gives a very fresh feel if you want different music, different stepchart style, and harder difficulty.[/QUOTE]

You joking? I won't begrudge some of the licensed music but Konami's stable is so much better music and varietywise to ITG's. This doesn't even cover the fact that some of ITG's stepcharts are more fitting to the difficulty rather then the flow of a song. Honestly at least Konami didn't originally try to make DDR a tech handjob.

I've got In The Groove but have only barely played it due to the loading times. I found the loading delays really irritating. I keep meaning to give it another try, but then I remember how much I seemed to just have to stand around waiting.

FYI, I only recently got into DDR (just this past Christmas with DDR Mario Mix, which, shock of shocks, I think is great, perhaps because it was my first DDR game, but also because I really like the music in the game - it's fun stuff.) Anyway, DDR MM got my hooked. Then I picked up a PS2 and DDRMAX2, then Extreme 2, then Supernova 1, then ITG and now Supernova 2 (but that to be unplayed until xmas.) I play because it is both fun and good exercise. Coming from Mario Mix I actually didn't like the music in PS2 DDR games at first, but it grew on me. I'd still say that quite a bit of the music in DDR (PS2 versions) is crap, but I do enjoy it in the context of playing DDR. There's very few songs in DDR that I'd ever want to just listen to. I.e. DDR makes me greater appreciate crappy music. ;^)

I actually don't think In The Groove is worth getting until you're hitting 9/10 foot levels and want more variety/challenge on 9s and up. DDR's great until then, but it really doesn't offer much in the 10 foot+ range. A lot of people think ITG is retardedly difficult though, so keep that in mind. If you're looking just to have sort of casual fun, stick with DDR. If you really want to get better though, try ITG at some point.

ITG also transitions the difficulty from 9 to 10, much more smoothly than DDR. I remember trying to jump from Cartoon Heroes to Max 300. ITG has more things in between to get you to that Max 300 point.

bread's done
Back