Dangers of buying a used 360?

Samus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I want a 360 but I'm scared of getting a used one to only crap out on me a few months later.

What does Microsoft charge to fix RRODs that aren't under warranty?

[quote name='Samus']And if it doesn't fall under the warranty still? We looking at $50 repair fee or something?[/quote]

Check my RRoD FAQ thread in the 360 forums. You will need to call MS and register your system with them. If it has been already registered to someone else, they should be able to take care of it once you tell them that you got it from someone else.

You are going to RRoD at some point down the line. No way to prevent it just watch out for the lock up signs and have a plan ready to go once it red rings.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Check my RRoD FAQ thread in the 360 forums. You will need to call MS and register your system with them. If it has been already registered to someone else, they should be able to take care of it once you tell them that you got it from someone else.

You are going to RRoD at some point down the line. No way to prevent it just watch out for the lock up signs and have a plan ready to go once it red rings.[/quote]

Hm. Overall, though, do you think it's worth buying it used? I really don't want to drop $350 for it new.

[quote name='Kayden']I thought the warranty only covered the original owner.[/quote]

Nope False, as long as they havent registered it on Xbox.com yet (which 90% of folks dont I bet)

I bought mine second hand(Used) from Gamestop and it RROD about 2 years later, registered the system on Xbox.com, called support and they send me a box, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.....Whole process took 1 1/2 weeks (Them Sending box, them repairing it, and me receiving it back)

[quote name='Beast9287']If you're worried about a 360 crapping out on you, just get a Ps3, plus free online service. :)[/quote]

Except that I really want it for Xbox Live...

Then get a brand new 360, because some people will actually open up the systems which voids the warranty if anything would happen to it.

[quote name='Beast9287']If you're worried about a 360 crapping out on you, just get a Ps3, plus free online service. :)[/quote]

Looks like I've been called to unfanboyjackass this thread by making a stupid comment back - but what use is free online service with no games?

[quote name='georox']Looks like I've been called to unfanboyjackass this thread by making a stupid comment back - but what use is free online service with no games?[/quote]

It was a suggestion if he had worried about the used system crapping out, I just recommended an alternative. It seems as if though it had offended you enough to the point where you're going to create a useless rant on which is superior/inferior and so forth. The system does have games, but someone rather just stick to a bias rather than enjoying all the systems. For that, I must applaud you. :applause:

ALL 360s will get a RROD at some point, so used or new doesn't matter. Just make sure the box isn't banned from live, and the warranty sticker is intact. ALL 360s are under warranty until November this year, at least, so I wouldn't worry.

[quote name='georox']Looks like I've been called to unfanboyjackass this thread by making a stupid comment back - but what use is free online service with no games?[/QUOTE]

No games!! to much $$? u people are still using same old excuses. Would u buy a car knowing it will crap out 2 weeks later?? PS3 is just hitting is stride...blu ray- victorious....HOME!!!, free onlne...etc.i can go on on on. BTW once HOME comes u xboys fanboys will have no more excuses. On top of that 2 years down the road 360 games will pale in comparison. Well sorry for the rant, but it seems like the majority of people on this site are xbox fanboys. Had to help out my fellow sony loyalists.Last but not least XBOX 360 looks like a cheap toy compared to the luxurious PS3...dusty yet luxurious.lol

I see you're already all over that. ;)

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']How about just regular twats?[/quote]

[quote name='lude21']No games!! to much $$? u people are still using same old excuses. Would u buy a car knowing it will crap out 2 weeks later?? PS3 is just hitting is stride...blu ray- victorious....HOME!!!, free onlne...etc.i can go on on on. BTW once HOME comes u xboys fanboys will have no more excuses. On top of that 2 years down the road 360 games will pale in comparison. Well sorry for the rank, but it seems like the majority of people o this site are xbox fanboys. Had to help out my fellow sony loyalists.Last but not least XBOX 360 looks like a cheap toy compared to the luxurious PS3...dusty yet luxurious.lol[/quote]

I am disappointed to have a Ps3 because of people like you.

[quote name='Beast9287']Then get a brand new 360, because some people will actually open up the systems which voids the warranty if anything would happen to it.[/quote]

Only problem is, you also get the assclowns who send off their 360 for repairs and while it's gone they 'rent' an arcade model from Best Buy or Circuit City, then re-pack it and take it back when theirs comes back.

That's another problem that has popped up with 360's, are the impatient assholes who use and abuse a system for a while while theirs is being repaired.

Oh and OP, you should be OK as long as you look for the newer used 360's. Anything from late 2007 should be ok, from what I've heard. But, as with everything, ANYTHING has a chance of breaking down, so you are taking a chance buying it, whether used or new.

Another thing before I forget, is if you can find a Halo 3 version 360 at Target, they should be around $279 now or maybe cheaper, so you could buy new for UNDER $350 if you look for a deal.

From what I've also heard the Halo and Elite systems have a newer processing unit inside to prevent the red rings issue.

No way would I buy a used 360... you're going to get some launch unit, piece of shit that is destined to red ring in no time at all, and you've got no warranty except some shitty Gamestop one.

Just buy it new, in the store, you'll get a 360 with newer chipset, you'll get the 3 year warranty from MS, you'll have nothing to worry about.

I definitely would not cheap out on getting the system... it's going to come back to bite you in the end.

Every 360 out there now should use the Falcon chipset... I got mine in November 07 with a Premium, and I imagine the Falcon's are standard now (when I bought mine, they were integrating the chipset in). All 360's don't break, you don't really hear about the Falcon's dying at all, it's mostly everything pre Falcon that ends up dying. I even googled it up to see if I could complaints of the Falcon chipset's dying, but I haven't found much of anything.

I also heard that not all Halo 3 system's were outfitted with the Falcon either, so that's a tossup too. Just go get a new Premium or Elite, grab a Falcon chipset, and don't worry about buying it used.

Plus if you get say, a launch unit model, and it RROD's, MS is just going to send you back another launch era model... this is why people are on their 3rd or 4th 360's. I don't know why they don't just replace those faulty ones with Falcon's and get them off the market altogether, but I guess it's too much money?

Or just search some of the 360s in Gamestop and find a newer model and if something happens just make sure the warranty seal was intact and it wasn't a banned system and do what others said and get MS to transfer registration.

Hell, Sony was offering me repairs for my long since out of warranty PS2's, though admittedly, they never completely owned up to the DRE problem from last gen.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Or just search some of the 360s in Gamestop and find a newer model and if something happens just make sure the warranty seal was intact and it wasn't a banned system and do what others said and get MS to transfer registration.

Hell, Sony was offering me repairs for my long since out of warranty PS2's, though admittedly, they never completely owned up to the DRE problem from last gen.[/QUOTE]

That's such a BS hassle to save, what, $30? On something that is prone to various errors, espicially for older systems?

On any other system, I'd agree with you, but when new, in the box 360's on the shelf right now are virtually RROD free, come with awesome chipsets, you don't need to examine every console in stock, call up MS, blah blah blah... you might as well save yourself a shit ton of aggravation and just get it new.

No Gamestop employee I know is going to let you examine every 360 the store has in, not around here they wouldn't, because they've got quite a few.

There is just so much that could possible go wrong with a used 360, it's not worth the $20 or $30 savings imo. And you're talking to guy that has quite a few used systems, including a PSP and a PS3. I mean, I don't know about the OP, but I'd rather save a lot of time and aggravation, buy it new, and have peace of mind, rather than have to do a ton of busywork at saving a few bucks.

Not only do you have to worry about the very likely chance you'll get the RRoD on older 360 units, their disc drives are horrible, too. Not worth it in my opinion. Spend the extra money and get a new system.

[quote name='ITDEFX']You are going to RRoD at some point down the line. No way to prevent it just watch out for the lock up signs and have a plan ready to go once it red rings.[/quote]

NOT true. Not everyone RRoD. Ive had 3 xbox 360's and none of them have red ringed on me. I bought my first one at launch and the sold it to a friend who is still using it with no problems. I got the elite at launch and no problems at all with that one. I bought a used one here from a fellow CAG that i gave to my brother and he has had no problems with his either. Oh and i do use mine at least a little almost every day.

[quote name='wingeddragon']NOT true. Not everyone RRoD. Ive had 3 xbox 360's and none of them have red ringed on me. I bought my first one at launch and the sold it to a friend who is still using it with no problems. I got the elite at launch and no problems at all with that one. I bought a used one here from a fellow CAG that i gave to my brother and he has had no problems with his either. Oh and i do use mine at least a little almost every day.[/quote]
EVERY 360 will RROD at some point due to the way the hardware is designed. Whether that takes a month or 5 years, it WILL happen. The only way to avoid a RROD is to not buy a 360.

But in all honesty, I think a used one will work fine. And since all 360s come with a 3 year warranty, even if you got a launch unit, it would still be covered until the end of November. And since you'll probably get one from sometime last year, you're good for 2 years. Also, if it does RROD after the warranty expires, you can always use the X-Clamp fix.

[quote name='Beast9287']I am disappointed to have a Ps3 because of people like you.[/QUOTE]

People like me? cuz i have the balls to state my opinion. Just stating the facts. It boggles my mind why people insist on spending their hard earned $ on junk. PS3 is a much better investment. End of story. BTW i am also disappointed in you.

Hell, you're living on the edge by buying a 360 in the first place. Might as well get it brand new. This July sometime will be a full year that I've had my elite console and I've had no problems with it at all as of yet. Previously I went through about four premium models.

The thing is, I'm tight on cash and buying a used one off Craigslist can save me a couple hundred dollars. If I look hard enough I can snag a used Premium with a couple of games for $250.

I'll keep on a lookout for that new Halo system. But I'll also heavily consider buying new after what was said.

The "new" ones in stores now are all the "fixed" old launch units with new stickers on them. When I bought my first replacement 360 (Novemberish 07) the sticker on the console said made in 06 with another one on top saying 07.
[quote name='Roufuss']No way would I buy a used 360... you're going to get some launch unit, piece of shit that is destined to red ring in no time at all, and you've got no warranty except some shitty Gamestop one.

Just buy it new, in the store, you'll get a 360 with newer chipset, you'll get the 3 year warranty from MS, you'll have nothing to worry about.

I definitely would not cheap out on getting the system... it's going to come back to bite you in the end.

Every 360 out there now should use the Falcon chipset... I got mine in November 07 with a Premium, and I imagine the Falcon's are standard now (when I bought mine, they were integrating the chipset in). All 360's don't break, you don't really hear about the Falcon's dying at all, it's mostly everything pre Falcon that ends up dying. I even googled it up to see if I could complaints of the Falcon chipset's dying, but I haven't found much of anything.

I also heard that not all Halo 3 system's were outfitted with the Falcon either, so that's a tossup too. Just go get a new Premium or Elite, grab a Falcon chipset, and don't worry about buying it used.

Plus if you get say, a launch unit model, and it RROD's, MS is just going to send you back another launch era model... this is why people are on their 3rd or 4th 360's. I don't know why they don't just replace those faulty ones with Falcon's and get them off the market altogether, but I guess it's too much money?[/quote]

Either be "tight" on cash and get a used one, then find it out breaks down on you after the store warranty is over. You then call Microsoft and they say they'll repair your system for 100.00 dollars.

bread's done
Back