earvcunanan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
300 (100%)
PS3 only.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?Product_ID=73599

The Dante’s Inferno: Divine Edition comes with:
  • Game
  • Dark Forest PDLC pack FREE (available March)
  • Wayne Barlowe Digital Art Book
  • Developer Documentary
  • Digital copy of the Longfellow translation of Dante’s Inferno
  • 20 song soundtrack from the game
  • Custom Divine Edition packaging
And you get a figurine for pre-ordering:

Reserve Dante's Inferno and receive a Dante’s Inferno collectible figurine. Straight from the fires of hell to your bookshelf, this figurine is so detailed you can actually see the shredded remains of Dante's red Snuggie. Available online and in-store while supplies last.

Online Customers: Dante’s Inferno collectible figurine will ship with your game.

In-Store Pickup / Store Customers: Dante’s Inferno collectible figurine will be available at time of game purchase.

Amazon will also sell the Divine Edition for $56.99:
http://www.amazon.com/Dantes-Infern..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1260461458&sr=8-2

Last edited by a moderator:
All this talk about Dante's Inferno vs. GoW, but what about Bayonetta vs. Devil May Cry (and 5 other games like it)..and everyone is supposed to love Bayonetta...

I just played the demo on the PS3, it was freaking great. The cut-scenes were the best I've ever seen in a game. The camera was a little too far back, and I couldn't really make sense of the upgrade menu, and the button-tap takedown sequence needs to be more clear, but other than that, it's a solid game. GoW Rip-off? maybe...or is it a genuine attempt to put out a decent game whose developers put a lot of work into it?

I like God of War, I actually want other devs to just use God of War as their base and then add something of their own. You won't find any complaints from me. I was getting this for my 360 but since the PS3 has a limited edition, I'll be getting it there.

[quote name='token2k6']All this talk about Dante's Inferno vs. GoW, but what about Bayonetta vs. Devil May Cry (and 5 other games like it)..and everyone is supposed to love Bayonetta...

I just played the demo on the PS3, it was freaking great. The cut-scenes were the best I've ever seen in a game. The camera was a little too far back, and I couldn't really make sense of the upgrade menu, and the button-tap takedown sequence needs to be more clear, but other than that, it's a solid game. GoW Rip-off? maybe...or is it a genuine attempt to put out a decent game whose developers put a lot of work into it?[/QUOTE]

I don't think there's much of a argument between Bayonetta and DMC since they're made by the same creative lead. It's a natural evolution of the DMC philosophy, whereas this is another dev. team's attempt to mimic a formula that was created by a 1st party developer.

There was a lot of TLC put into Dante's, and it shows. I just wish they added further customization, maybe a la Too Human. Not all 3rd person action games need to play like GoW to be good. Use it as a basis, but there's so much room for improvement. Like how shooters have been incorporating RPG elements into them, so can action games. More customization = more replayability, which these games really lack.

ok guys im sorry to say but im really getting tired how every time a hack & slash game comes out you gotta say GoW clone remember GoW isnt orignal either you could say its a DMC or Onimusha clone & dont forget the original daddy of the hack & slash games Castlevania,no one says this about rpg's comparing Final Fantasy to other JRPGs its always when a hack & slash game comes out its when i hear or see this but then again this is my opinion,just enjoy the game for what it is

but with that being said,i think the game is amazing from the demo they did somethings that are intresting such as having a light & dark side to upgrading power ups,the controls are top notch,the story sounds very well made

Was anyone else upset when Death talked? The character model was pretty badass. Then he opened his mouth and I was highly disappointed. The voice actor was not a good match for him. I thought he sounded a little a soft. Maybe it would have been a good voice for a high school QB. I just thought he would have sounded a little more menacing.

Okay... Castlevania may be H&S but it's a piece of crap. So is Onimusha. Please don't mention these two when talking about action games nowadays. They're relics of the past. If Onimusha influenced anything, it was crap like Genji. If you're gonna talk about H&S clones, talk about Dynasty Warriors. With a camera pulled way back, and the ability to switch characters, these games aren't similar or even predecessors to games like GoW at all, they're a separate genre altogether.

DMC and GoW are similar, but not clones. They are also not "H&S" in the traditional sense. Not all 3rd person action games are H&S, some actually require timing (quick reflexes) and skill. GoW incorporated many mechanics found in DMC into it, like juggling and combos, but GoW is known for it's QTE's, which is now commonplace in action games. Not to mention precise controls, better bosses battles than most of its competitors, etc...

JRPGs are also not clones of each other due to pretty much every battle and customization system varying between titles, which is the backbone of any RPG. Now if two RPGs both used Materia or GFs... well, then that'd be different.

EDIT: Death should not be begging to be spared, that's kind of idiotic. Just a little.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']

EDIT: Death should not be begging to be spared, that's kind of idiotic. Just a little.[/QUOTE]

Why not? He's probably never had to contemplate the finality of non-existence up until that point ... you know, being Death and all ... ;)

EA doesn't have anything to compete with on the 360. They're doing this on the PS3 version to get people to buy this over/in addition to GoW3.

[quote name='icedrake523']EA doesn't have anything to compete with on the 360. They're doing this on the PS3 version to get people to buy this over/in addition to GoW3.[/QUOTE]

Totally understandable, but totally unacceptable!
Being GoW fan and not having PS3, I was looking forward to this game ... and it could have been a holy golden monkey if that deal was applied to 360 version.

Yeah. It is pretty lame of EA. I'm going to have all 3 systems (getting PS3 for Christmas) so these platform exclusive bonuses don't bother me much anymore :whistle2:#

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']Okay... Castlevania may be H&S but it's a piece of crap. So is Onimusha. Please don't mention these two when talking about action games nowadays. They're relics of the past. If Onimusha influenced anything, it was crap like Genji. If you're gonna talk about H&S clones, talk about Dynasty Warriors. With a camera pulled way back, and the ability to switch characters, these games aren't similar or even predecessors to games like GoW at all, they're a separate genre altogether.

DMC and GoW are similar, but not clones. They are also not "H&S" in the traditional sense. Not all 3rd person action games are H&S, some actually require timing (quick reflexes) and skill. GoW incorporated many mechanics found in DMC into it, like juggling and combos, but GoW is known for it's QTE's, which is now commonplace in action games. Not to mention precise controls, better bosses battles than most of its competitors, etc...

JRPGs are also not clones of each other due to pretty much every battle and customization system varying between titles, which is the backbone of any RPG. Now if two RPGs both used Materia or GFs... well, then that'd be different.

EDIT: Death should not be begging to be spared, that's kind of idiotic. Just a little.[/QUOTE]

If you are going to say Materia or whatever upgrade system that varies between JRPGs makes them "not clones," then you really should say that Dante's Inferno is another "not clone." Different weapons, different upgrades, etc, etc. Does God of War have an Absolve/Punish system? Projectile stun weapon? Etc. etc.

Dante is no more a GOW clone then any other game within a specific genre is a clone of any other game. FPS, Platformers, Open-World, RTS, etc etc all have the same basic elements to them. Why Dante's Inferno is being outed as a clone when most games are exactly innovative, I have no idea.

There's a world of difference between the depths of an action game and a RPG. You can upgrade your attacks to unlock new combos and the like, but ultimately you're still smashing the same buttons and the basic outcome of each combo has a mirror in other games.

You can make the argument that customization doesn't really have any consequence on what your characters plays like in RPGs too, but that's just a sign of bad game design. Basic elements are shared by the genre, but Dante has some exceptionally similar elements stolen straight from GoW, and they aren't trying to hide it either which makes it blatantly obvious.

Button assignments, the green, red, and purple wells or whatever the crap they were for health/currency/mana. The QTEs as I mentioned, the eviscerating of mini-bosses, spamming certain buttons quickly in a tug-of-war sequence, assigning of magical abilities to the square buttons. Now, GoW may have borrowed some of these mechanices from predecessors, but I'm pretty sure no one is gonna argue that GoW didn't "perfect" them.

I don't know about you, but from character design and story/plot, the two are very similar too. DI might be drawing upon the Divine Comedy as reference, but the two are basically revenge/redemption stories where the protagonist rapes everything that stands in his way, in order to get to their goal.

DMC's story at least differed from these two's (at least in my mind, I honestly don't believe DI's setting or story to be interesting at all so... yeah).

I think a sign of DI being a GoW clone is basically in everyone's responses. The fact that they were able to pick up the demo and feel right at home with the controls and mechanics. There is no learning curve, nothing foreign about DI to those who have played GoW. Fans of GoW will like DI and vice versa (maybe not depending on how they like the main character/plot) because... well, yeah.

^ PrinnyO nailed it, thanks.

I agree that saying DI is a GoW clone is a bit harsh for DI. However, after playing the demo, i have to say, if you played GoW, DI is pretty much the same. The upgrade system is pretty cool IMO. Well, for some reasons, the story and characters didn't capture me like GoW did.

One thing i don't like is the part where you have to cross the wooden cross quickly or die instantly... It's not that i didn't get the point, but you have to fight the minions all over again. In the demo, it's not that bad, but if that happens quite often in the game (instant kill and then have to hack/slash to that point again), it can be frustrating.

I don't remember seeing check points in DI, but i hope more or less like GoW...

bread's done
Back