Dark Cloud 2

Allnatural

CAGiversary!
Damn this game is pissing me off. Second dungeon (Sindain) and every floor is an absolute bitch to complete. I don't mind a challenge, but the clunky controls, spotty collision detection, and the limited health of my characters (three hits and they're dead) is incredibly frustrating.

I want to like it, but I'm real close to shelving it forever. Do things get better eventually? If it were shorter I'd be more inclined to stick with it, but right now I can't help but think, "40+ hours of this? Ugh..."

[quote name='Allnatural']Damn this game is pissing me off. Second dungeon (Sindain) and every floor is an absolute bitch to complete. I don't mind a challenge, but the clunky controls, spotty collision detection, and the limited health of my characters (three hits and they're dead) is incredibly frustrating.

I want to like it, but I'm real close to shelving it forever. Do things get better eventually? If it were shorter I'd be more inclined to stick with it, but right now I can't help but think, "40+ hours of this? Ugh..."[/quote]

I just say just quit it. I also hated that game (and I loved the first one)

My time is valuable, I don't have time to run around everywhere taking pictures and waiting for nightfall, just so that I can go back into an annoying dungeon.

[quote name='camoor']My time is valuable, I don't have time to run around everywhere taking pictures and waiting for nightfall, just so that I can go back into an annoying dungeon.[/quote]
Care to elaborate? I was under the impression that the invention system was something I could ignore. Are you suggesting I have more tedium to look forward to?

[quote name='Allnatural']Care to elaborate? I was under the impression that the invention system was something I could ignore. Are you suggesting I have more tedium to look forward to?[/QUOTE]

I ignored the inventing system and had no real trouble with the game. I do remember having to be pretty damn patient, but it wasn't really controller-twistingly hard.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I do remember having to be pretty damn patient, but it wasn't really controller-twistingly hard.[/quote]
Yeah, I was playing this afternoon and found that the block-strike-block technique works well enough once you get the timing down. Doesn't make it all that much "fun" though.

I'll keep at it for a while longer. The Georama system just opened up; maybe I'll find that more enjoyable.

I never managed to beat DC1. Doing the same thing over and over again with different backdrops 50 million times just killed me inside....still waiting for White Knight Story though :D

... Throw in the bug where if you get health increasing items in a particular order, some of them PERMANENTLY DISAPPEAR before you get a chance to obtain them, and this game is one to play with a FAQ onhand. Unless you really have to finish this game, I'd say move on to something else.

This game is a good example of why dungeons shouldn't be randomly generated. Every one of them looked the same after a while and it got boring as hell. I think I still have a save file after that forest where you help the 7 dwaves. I don't know if I'll ever get back to playing it though.

I actually loved this game, but then again, this was when the game was first released. You'll really need to love to grind to like the game.

[quote name='knightsdwn']I actually loved this game, but then again, this was when the game was first released. You'll really need to love to grind to like the game.[/QUOTE]
I loved the game too. Didn't play it when it was first released, but still far enough back that it was full-priced when I bought it. And agreed on the grinding thing. Also, the Georama system really made the game for me.

[quote name='knightsdwn']You'll really need to love to grind to like the game.[/quote]
Oh, I love a good grind, but only when the combat's fun. DC2 is almost broken in that regard. The weapon growth system is really cool though. I love seeing my weapons evolve, and that may be just enough to keep me going.

[quote name='Allnatural']Oh, I love a good grind, but only when the combat's fun. DC2 is almost broken in that regard.[/quote]

How so? I distinctly remember bashing the back of enemies heads in and shooting the shit out of stuff that I couldn't take out in close range with relative ease. That robot Steve was a big help too with the right equipment.

Sure it was repetitive but, like you said, leveling up and merging weapons kept me going, as well as trying to get all the Georama pieces.

[quote name='knightsdwn']How so? I distinctly remember bashing the back of enemies heads in and shooting the shit out of stuff that I couldn't take out in close range with relative ease.[/quote]
I use my ranged weapons sparingly because the repair powder is so expensive. While I've gotten better at blocking, many enemies only need to get one shot in to knock off a third (or more) of my health, so much of my money goes to healing items.

Anyway, Eurogamer sums up my feelings quite well...

The battles themselves can actually be quite dodgy, and sometimes border on infuriating. This mainly comes down to the game's level of timing and reaction. For instance, it generally takes half a second for Max and his friends to attack after you press X. If you haven't chosen your moment carefully, an enemy can easily counterattack before you have a chance to defend (by pressing R1). Even when you do pick your chance well, trying a combo attack is risky too, as enemies can often sneak off an attack of their own in the midst of it. To top it off, moving away from an enemy while also tapping X produces a defensive backflip, something that is hard to avoid doing by mistake during battle. With some enemies knocking off half your health in one blow, this can be pretty annoying. That's not to say we don't appreciate a challenge - we just don't appreciate it being compounded by a slightly clunky battle system.

fwiw, they still gave it 9/10

It's been a while, but yeah, those bad first two or three dungeon experiences (fighting, expensive items, etc.) seem to creep up on me now.

I guess I just kind of retained all the fun memories of the game and forgot all the crappy parts ;).

I hope you keep playing. It gets better eventually.

On a side note, just don't get into that golf mini-game... that shit infuriated me at the later dungeons.

[quote name='knightsdwn']On a side note, just don't get into that golf mini-game... that shit infuriated me at the later dungeons.[/QUOTE]
QFT. I think I tried it once or twice when it wasn't mandatory, but found it way too frustrating. The fishing/fish-racing minigames are much more enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back