Dark Souls $19 at Best Buy (PS3/X360)

[quote name='tylerh1701']Is the game pretty similar to Demon's Souls. I couldn't really get into Demon's Souls, any reason for me to try this one?[/QUOTE]

It's like Demon Souls, but 10x better (Demon Souls was pretty awesome itself). If you weren't into Demon Souls, then you probably won't be into this.

^Thanks. That's what I figured. I'm not a very patient gamer so I find myself getting frustrated rather than enjoying games like these.

I enjoyed Demon's Souls so much that I got the plat for it. Problem is that I recently built a new rig. Should I get it for the PS3 or PC?

Game's definitely worth $20 (I'd have happily paid full price for it if not for my backlog), and I've heard that the new DLC is very substantial. However, I don't think I'll get back to it for at least a year, so does anyone know if they're releasing a physical version with the new DLC in NA? I know Europe and Australia are getting a physical release, but I haven't really heard anything about it in months.

[quote name='Progamer665']I enjoyed Demon's Souls so much that I got the plat for it. Problem is that I recently built a new rig. Should I get it for the PS3 or PC?[/QUOTE]

From what I heard, the official PC release is pretty janky (I don't have a PC capable of running non-indie games, so I can't confirm). Though a poster on NeoGAF has supposedly modded it to fix some issues: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix (link to his blog, since the actual thread's pretty long)

PS3 version seemed just fine to me, though. Other than Blighttown, where the frame rate just dies.

[quote name='AFC']Game's definitely worth $20 (I'd have happily paid full price for it if not for my backlog), and I've heard that the new DLC is very substantial. However, I don't think I'll get back to it for at least a year, so does anyone know if they're releasing a physical version with the new DLC in NA? I know Europe and Australia are getting a physical release, but I haven't really heard anything about it in months.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the US is getting a physical release, which makes me want to import the uk version. What I'd like to know is whether it's compatible with my US version of dark souls.

[quote name='misterpiggybank']I don't think the US is getting a physical release, which makes me want to import the uk version. What I'd like to know is whether it's compatible with my US version of dark souls.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that's too bad. I might do the same whenever Zavvi or someone else puts it on sale for ~$20, and, given the state of the UK games market right now, that actually might not be too long.

I vaguely remember reading that saves aren't compatible across regions. Not 100% sure though.

Thanks OP
hjniknl

Nice deal, its tempting...I really liked Demon's Souls, but I'm starting to feel like I'm never going to buy this game. Its a huge time commitment on a game that may cause me to break a controller.

[quote name='Progamer665']I enjoyed Demon's Souls so much that I got the plat for it. Problem is that I recently built a new rig. Should I get it for the PS3 or PC?[/QUOTE]
PC, hands down!

Isn't this more like $20? It's $19.99. Not that I care about $1 difference but wonder why round down instead of up.

$19.99 is $20 in my book, actually more like $21.xx with tax. thanks for the find op, ordered for pickup, now deciding whether to pick up because of the crazy backlog

I am interested in trying this, but like others I have so much other stuff already. I can't see getting to it any time soon. Good find, though, OP.

[quote name='joeboosauce']Isn't this more like $20? It's $19.99. Not that I care about $1 difference but wonder why round down instead of up.[/QUOTE]

Thats pretty much the exact reason we see pricing marked as such in retail stores.-

It's a psychological trick intended to fool consumers into thinking they're getting a better price that it actually is. They see 14.xx as 14 dollars and ignore the XX in cents regardless if its 15c or 99c. I don't know exactly why that is, but its a really common mistake I see people make when I'm out shopping, just overhearing other people chat (ESPECIALLY at any kind of department store).

Still, good price for Dark Souls.

Is there any difference between the 360 and the PS3 version? I have to choose which system to get it for, any advice?

Such an awesome game! Bought it at GameStop for around $25 Used just to check it out and planned to return it since I wasn't crazy about Demons Souls, but the game just sucked me in...a steal for $20

[quote name='thesuzukimethod']played fine on the PS3. dark souls is one of my favorite games in a long time. big boy zelda, lol[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I know Demon's Souls was on the PS3, I enjoyed that quite a bit. I was just wondering if there were noticeable differences between the PS3 and the 360 version (maybe controls are better on one system, etc.) I think I would enjoy the online experience with 360 more, so I am currently leaning that way. Also, is this in store as well? If so, looks like I'll be stopping by Best Buy on the way home from work. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

no idea about 360, but no major issues on ps3 (there are occasional framerate dips, but not usually in combat...blighttown is the exception, but i made it through there just fine).

there are some forums that should give a sense of how active the MP community still is for each platform...i suspect it's core die-hards plus the transient passers through..

the servers are not region specific (iirc), so the multiplayer is global (again, iirc) -- i ended up playing against a lot of japanese players during some of my runs, and since 360 is basically nonexistent in Japan, there's that.

this thread has some (early) comments about platform...
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-/60514572

edited to add: there is no easy way to join friends in this game. (there are workarounds, but it is not likely), fwiw.

[quote name='thesuzukimethod']no idea about 360, but no major issues on ps3 (there are occasional framerate dips, but not usually in combat...blighttown is the exception, but i made it through there just fine).

there are some forums that should give a sense of how active the MP community still is for each platform...i suspect it's core die-hards plus the transient passers through..

the servers are not region specific (iirc), so the multiplayer is global (again, iirc) -- i ended up playing against a lot of japanese players during some of my runs, and since 360 is basically nonexistent in Japan, there's that.

edited to add: there is no easy way to join friends in this game. (there are workarounds, but it is not likely), fwiw.[/QUOTE]

He's right about it not being easy to join a friend in Dark Souls. It isn't like Demon's Souls where you just tell your friend where you placed your summon sign. There is a bunch of sorcery behind the matchmaking in Dark Souls. I tried for days to connect with my friend - it never happened.

[quote name='thesuzukimethod']no idea about 360, but no major issues on ps3 (there are occasional framerate dips, but not usually in combat...blighttown is the exception, but i made it through there just fine).

edited to add: there is no easy way to join friends in this game. (there are workarounds, but it is not likely), fwiw.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for the help. I thought I might prefer the controls on the 360, but now I am leaning towards the PS3. It looks like there are no major discernable differences with either version, so it is looking like a win-win decision really! Thanks guys.

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']Thats pretty much the exact reason we see pricing marked as such in retail stores.-

It's a psychological trick intended to fool consumers into thinking they're getting a better price that it actually is. They see 14.xx as 14 dollars and ignore the XX in cents regardless if its 15c or 99c. I don't know exactly why that is, but its a really common mistake I see people make when I'm out shopping, just overhearing other people chat (ESPECIALLY at any kind of department store).

Still, good price for Dark Souls.[/QUOTE]

Well it sure tricked the OP here so hopefully he never discovers all the $0.99 apps/games since those are technically free. Personally I take the rounding a step further...for me I like to count the white Wii-U as $200.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Saw it for the same price at Target today, must be a universal price drop.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully it will drop even cheaper during the black friday deals and I can get even more back....

I have Demon's Souls already, but haven't really played it. Should I just ditch it and pick up Dark Souls instead, or play through Demon first and eventually get to Dark?

[quote name='Yanksfan']I have Demon's Souls already, but haven't really played it. Should I just ditch it and pick up Dark Souls instead, or play through Demon first and eventually get to Dark?[/QUOTE]

Id play it first but I would go pick up Dark Souls before they are sold out, because the stock is limited in store, around here at least

[quote name='joeyshadows']:whistle2:kTempting...Halfway through Borderlands 2 and Dishonored comes out in two weeks.[/QUOTE]
you should have went for the superior game instead of the generic garbage FPS, bro.

[quote name='joeboosauce']Isn't this more like $20? It's $19.99. Not that I care about $1 difference but wonder why round down instead of up.[/QUOTE]

This is actually the reasoning behind pricing items at $19.99 instead of a flat $20. I just didn't know it actually worked.

*edit* Oh whoops, someone already mentioned this.

[quote name='Yanksfan']I have Demon's Souls already, but haven't really played it. Should I just ditch it and pick up Dark Souls instead, or play through Demon first and eventually get to Dark?[/QUOTE]

Demon's Souls is probably tied for my favorite game of all time with Crash Bandicoot, it's definitely the best game of this generation. Dark Souls is pretty close, but I still give the edge to Demon's Souls, and if you really get into it and look up the story FAQ on GameFAQs, you can see how crazy the world design actually is. Dark Souls has a pretty good story behind it too, but definitely not as intricate and detailed as Demon's Souls.

Thanks op! Couldn't find any new 360 copies around me though. Or in all in all San Diego County for that matter :/ I'll try Target or GS tomorrow.

I think Dark Souls is my favorite game from recent memory.

I have platted it on PS3 last year, and I'm currently 5-6 achievements away from 1000/1000 on 360.

The main difference I found is that lag was more pronounced during PVP on the PS3. I was lag-backstabbed far more often there than on the 360, which hardly ever happens.

With all else equal, I would have to say the Xbox version is the one to go with for that reason. Either way, just buy it and play it.

My psychological tip for playing: if you're running around with lots of souls (the game's currency) don't think of them as YOURS until you get somewhere safe with a bonfire or a vendor. This keeps me from getting angry when I die, and die again, losing the souls and humanity. I only get pissed when I die from my own stupidity for wasting time.

bread's done
Back