Dark Souls (Project Dark) - October 4, 2011

[quote name='jh6269']Guys, the game is not that hard. There are so many tricks to beating every boss, you can do it all w/o ever getting killed (really, there were more than one boss that you could kill with Poison Cloud and just standing there). Yes, it's very very difficult if you were to play without a walkthrough (because there are certain weapons you need and certain quests that aren't very obvious). I played with a FAQ the whole time and I really enjoyed the game. Even with the FAQ, it was still challenging enough for me. I really hope they don't change a thing, just add more and make it original.

On the other hand, Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? Is HARD. Soldner X Himmelssturmer is HARD. Demon's Souls takes some dedication, strategy, and some trial and error, but most gamers could probably finish the game if they stuck with it--it's not a run and gun.[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for others here, but most people I know don't like playing with an FAQ/playthrough. I certainly try to avoid them unless I get stuck or want to know where to get something in particular, which actually did come up for this game a few times. Sometimes, though, this means losing 6 soul levels on the final boss of the game just to beat him (which had the even worse implication of it reducing my Magic level to the point where it had to remove a spell from me, and it happened to remove my most important spell just in time for New Game+). But, at least I figured out how to kill him myself at the cost of those 6 levels. =)

Nevertheless, I do agree that the game is not THAT hard if you know what you're doing and have a little patience (or you're just awesome). After all, this guy finished the game in under an hour =) :

http://kotaku.com/5666793/how-to-beat-demons-souls-in-under-an-hour

Very good point. I guess its not so much bad English as it is... uniquely used. (I just don't think an English first publisher would have named it in that manner.)

I'm guessing that the source of the release date, along with all the new news is from Famitsu, so does anyone want to venture rather 2011 release is based upon calender year or the fiscal year?

[quote name='commanderxp90']Wow, that's very interested. I hope it could be related to the next Demon Soul's game or not.[/QUOTE]
It's not going to have anything to do with the previous Demon's Souls except for the gameplay, story is not related.

Isn't ['s] supposed to mean 'is' something? So "Demon's" souls should read "Demon is", no? I don't care either way, just curious.

The first one barely had a store anyway, so it's not a big deal. The gameplay was what made Demon's Souls so great.

For the record, I thought the world and character tendency was pretty cool, but it did make it almost impossibly to find everything without an FAQ since it was very difficult to figure out how to control the tendencies just through trial and error. So while I liked them, I won't really miss them.

[quote name='SynGamer']Isn't ['s] supposed to mean 'is' something? So "Demon's" souls should read "Demon is", no? I don't care either way, just curious.[/QUOTE]

's is much more often possessive than a contraction. One major exception being "its" vs "it's" where the former is possessive and the latter means "it is."

[quote name='SynGamer']Isn't ['s] supposed to mean 'is' something? So "Demon's" souls should read "Demon is", no? I don't care either way, just curious.[/QUOTE]

What Backlash said. So it is like Syngamer's Games.... the games you own which are more than one...

Since they do not want dedicated servers, it suggests PvP is going to fall prey to terrible P2P connections. I wouldn't see the point of "invading" if the host is going to have the advantage. Shame too, because I would love to see how raged people would be if they died near the end of a seamless field lol. Anyway, hope for more info on that.

[quote name='Supplice']Since they do not want dedicated servers, it suggests PvP is going to fall prey to terrible P2P connections. I wouldn't see the point of "invading" if the host is going to have the advantage. Shame too, because I would love to see how raged people would be if they died near the end of a seamless field lol. Anyway, hope for more info on that.[/QUOTE]

This is where you are wrong.... huge field... HUGE area to RUN AWAY!!! :lol:

[quote name='Saint Noir']This is where you are wrong.... huge field... HUGE area to RUN AWAY!!! :lol:[/QUOTE]
That's depending on how much you upgraded your stamina :lol:

Huge field could potentially mean more invaders ;). Honestly, I'm hoping for something more than just 1v3 that Demon's Souls had.

[quote name='Supplice']Huge field could potentially mean more invaders ;). Honestly, I'm hoping for something more than just 1v3 that Demon's Souls had.[/QUOTE]

Me too. 1 V 5 would be OK... ;)

I remember invading with Gods Hand and knocking them down just to cast Death Cloud and watch them run off so they can try and heal themselves.

I wouldn't even attack them, sometimes i would just let them heal and do it all over again.
Scenarios went like this.

Run attack with Gods Hand to knock them down then cast Death Cloud.
-They would run away and try to heal themselves
-They would run away to try and heal themselves but end up bumping into those black phantom samurais at the start of 4-1
-Try to attack my high endurance build instead of healing and end up dying from death cloud.
-Panic, lose and message me for a rematch.

Point is, I can't wait for this game. Its gonna be epic.

[quote name='Brainberry']I remember invading with Gods Hand and knocking them down just to cast Death Cloud and watch them run off so they can try and heal themselves.

I wouldn't even attack them, sometimes i would just let them heal and do it all over again.
Scenarios went like this.

Run attack with Gods Hand to knock them down then cast Death Cloud.
-They would run away and try to heal themselves
-They would run away to try and heal themselves but end up bumping into those black phantom samurais at the start of 4-1
-Try to attack my high endurance build instead of healing and end up dying from death cloud.
-Panic, lose and message me for a rematch.

Point is, I can't wait for this game. Its gonna be epic.[/QUOTE]

Ah, so you're one of those asshole griefers who like to ruin everything. Glad you spoke up. ;)

My only request is being able to turn off being invaded without having to unplug my ethernet cord. I bought a game to have fun, not be invaded by some prick :) ^^

[quote name='SynGamer']My only request is being able to turn off being invaded without having to unplug my ethernet cord. I bought a game to have fun, not be invaded by some prick :) ^^[/QUOTE]

I just logged off PSN if I recall correctly, or maybe just turned off the network manually in the settings... pretty sure I didn't have to actually unplug anything.

The only time I did this was in 1-1 on NG+ after losing 6 levels and my most important spell to the final boss of the game in my original playthrough. I was not about to give up the several hundred thousand souls I had by letting someone invade my game then when I was weak from my mistakes playing the original boss. =)

Yeah you could just not sign in. I did that whenever I needed to carefully control my world tendency and I didn't want it going white when I revisited the Nexus.

[quote name='leshrac55']Ah, so you're one of those asshole griefers who like to ruin everything. Glad you spoke up. ;)[/QUOTE]

I like to think that I do what i do to help people get better.

+1 for me on the white phantom allies call.

[quote name='leshrac55']Ah, so you're one of those asshole griefers who like to ruin everything. Glad you spoke up. ;)[/QUOTE]

Lol. Here is hoping for another scraping spear variant in Dark Souls.

[quote name='Supplice']+1 for me on the white phantom allies call.
[/QUOTE]

Call? You used a screen shot. I just couldn't see it very well (yeah... that's it). :lol: It may change as well... (I'll be sad if there are faint phantoms running around from time to time who aren't in my game).

[quote name='Backlash']The first one barely had a store anyway, so it's not a big deal. The gameplay was what made Demon's Souls so great[/QUOTE]
There was a fairly extensive story, but it almost all has to be inferred and pieced together by reading the description of spells, weapons, talking to every NPC multiple times, looking at the placement of items in the levels, etc. it isn't laid out for you through cutscenes.

For instance, did you know that the first 3 bosses in the Boletarian Palace are the corrupted forms of 3 knights of the round table; Metas, Alfred, and Oolan? Once you destroy their corrupted physical forms, they appear once more together in black phantom form just after the Penetrator boss.

===

That trailer was bad ass, the music was great too, sounds quite similar to the tone of Demon's Souls so I wonder if it is the same composer.

[quote name='guardian_owl']There was a fairly extensive story, but it almost all has to be inferred and pieced together by reading the description of spells, weapons, talking to every NPC multiple times, looking at the placement of items in the levels, etc. it isn't laid out for you through cutscenes.

For instance, did you know that the first 3 bosses in the Boletarian Palace are the corrupted forms of 3 knights of the round table; Metas, Alfred, and Oolan? Once you destroy their corrupted physical forms, they appear once more together in black phantom form just after the Penetrator boss.

===

That trailer was bad ass, the music was great too, sounds quite similar to the tone of Demon's Souls so I wonder if it is the same composer.[/QUOTE]
Fun fact of the day, I actually didn't know that until now! But then which one of three bosses resembles the girl black phantom with the White Bow?

There was definitely some background lore, but not what I'd call a story, with plot and such. The monumental gives you some basic backstory about greed and demons and then you're off. Don't get me wrong though - I didn't want any more story than it provided.

[quote name='AzzidReign']Fun fact of the day, I actually didn't know that until now! But then which one of three bosses resembles the girl black phantom with the White Bow?[/QUOTE]

The Phalanx.

Alfred, the Knight of the Tower; Metas, the Knight of the Lance, and Long Bow Oolan, who commanded a legion of archers.

[quote name='AzzidReign']Fun fact of the day, I actually didn't know that until now! But then which one of three bosses resembles the girl black phantom with the White Bow?[/QUOTE]
"Long Bow Oolan and his her (translation mistake) fearsome legions."
In life Oolan, hid behind her legion of hoplites and sniped from afar with her bow, thus her demon form is a giant, spineless black blob and when you kill her you get the lead (as in leader, not the metal) demon's soul. It is fashioned into the coward's weapon, the scrapping spear, which beats the enemy not through skill, but by depriving them of the ability to defend or attack by breaking their equipment.

The legions under her command also attacked from behind the safety of a shield, so they too are spineless black blobs. Phalanx is a military term in which groups of soldiers brandishing shield and spear interlock their shields in order to form a wall of protection and avoid exposing their rear and flank. It is the formation the boss holds when you first enter the chamber.
Phalanx.jpg

Also of interest, her leather armor and white bow (the bow is made from the trees at the shrine of storms and the feathers on the white arrows are from the white hawks which you can see flying around) implies a connection to the Shrine of Storms. Either she was stationed on the base on the surface before the dead began to rise and slaughtered most of the soldiers, or her ancient ancestors were the shadow men, and the weapon was passed down through the generations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome backstory Guardian and Supplice. I don't think I ever would have noticed that even beating those bosses a number of times.

Man, the first time I stumbled into the Tower Knight boss cut scene ... did not end well.

It is also fun to see where the developers drew inspiration from. One example is if you look at the description of pretty much any of the simple, enchanted rings and items (such as your light source the Augite of Souls) you will see it is crafted by Geri, a friend of the supreme spell-crafter in the game, Sage Freke. Geri and Freki, the "ravenous/greedy ones", in Norse Mythology were two wolves which accompanied the God Odin into battle and feasted upon the corpses of those who had fallen in battle. That not only describes the essence of Demon's Souls (devouring the fallen in order to become stronger) but foreshadows how at the end of the game...
Sage Freke goes slightly mad in hunger for knowledge/power and tries to persuade you to kill the Maiden in Black to stop her from putting the Old One back to sleep. By killing Allant and then stopping the Maiden in Black in the bad ending you gain "the power of a King" by becoming the Old One's new servant and Freke gains "Knowledge from beyond." Since the Old One is the source of the Soul Arts power to put it to sleep would cut Sage Freke and everyone else off from that power.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pumped, I see the eclipse in the logo. Very interesting and glad we have a trailer... disappointed it comes out in the fall as I have a few other games I am interested in during that time (batman, Skyrim, etc).

[quote name='Snake2715']I am pumped, I see the eclipse in the logo. Very interesting and glad we have a trailer... disappointed it comes out in the fall as I have a few other games I am interested in during that time (batman, Skyrim, etc).[/QUOTE]
Mentions 2011 holiday season, previous one was released the first week of October if that is anything to go on.

I noticed the eclipses in the logo too, that and what looks like the setting sun in some areas in the trailer makes me wonder if the world tendency system is being replaced by some kind of night and day system.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Mentions 2011 holiday season, previous one was released the first week of October if that is anything to go on.

I noticed the eclipses in the logo too, that and what looks like the setting sun in some areas in the trailer makes me wonder if the world tendency system is being replaced by some kind of night and day system.[/QUOTE]

Day and night would make a lot more sense. Just depends on how it's implemented: based on the console internal clock, or in-game based on when you last played...

Some new details from Gamepro. Little bit of details on two bosses, over 100 swords, and some new magic abilities.

• During From Software's presentation of Dark Souls, the developer highlighted a number of diverse areas players will explore within the game. In addition to a fairly standard city/castle area, we were treated to a sprawling forest locale, and a lava-filled area From Software referred to as the "Underground Hell."

• Bosses are a huge component of Dark Souls. In the castle area, the dev showed off a giant sleeping dragon, which they didn't bother to wake up because they claimed it would kill the player instantly. It was essentially resting on the castle, and was easily 100 times the size of the player's knight character. Another boss we came across was a giant ogre, which chased the player character across a bridge along the side of the castle. The demonstrator chose to engage with this boss, but the ogre easily overpowered the player character. The From Software rep assured us that if they weren't playing an in-development build, the player would be dead a long time ago. He eventually defeated the ogre by jumping down off of a rampart and stabbing the beast in the head.

• Combat in Dark Soul's is primarily based around blocking and attacking with a number of different swords (From Software says there will be over 100 swords available throughout the game), and utilizing magic spells. The developer only showed off a few spells; one was a standard fireball attack, while another turned the player's knight's body into iron (a la Mario 64), which slowed down his movement but made him impervious to attacks. From Software also took the opportunity to mention that there will be some kind of PvP multiplayer, as they showed off a spell that turned the player character into a vase, which they claim will be good to use when hiding from other players.
Point in development cycle: The game is due out this winter, and still looked fairly early in terms of development."

Source

I think I sunk over 200+ hours into the game with my character will probably be playing the second one for a VERY long time with another child on the way. Very much pumped for this.

[quote name='SynGamer']Day and night would make a lot more sense. Just depends on how it's implemented: based on the console internal clock, or in-game based on when you last played...[/QUOTE]

"What a horrible night to have a curse..."

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

(And I agree that a day night cycle is a hell of an idea.)

a vase to hide... is this metal gear?

That will be interesting if done well... if you can blend in with regular objest when being hunted that would be cool, as long as they look the same and arenot obvious..

Yeah aday and night would be great... it reminds me of that GBA or DS game that had you go outside to charge your character and he was weaker at night... I forget the name of that game, but it sounded interesting.

I thought it was interesting that they released all this new info and trailer on Setsubun day. I live in japan and on Setusbun day you throw soy beans out your doorway and yell in Japanese "Demon's out! Luck/good spirits in!"

The new video is up if you guys haven't seen it on the first page.
I'm pumped up even more, does the guy in the end look like the guy with gloom armor from Demons Souls? (I forgot his name)

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Yurt[/QUOTE]
Yea there we go! Can we think of other people that we unlocked during the course of the game and did not end up doing anything unless the player attack the person?

So pumped. Day 1! Please have a kickass "Limited Edition" like the first one. Looks fantastic. I wonder how "open" and "explorable" the open world will really be. Are we talking Oblivion/Two Worlds II gigantic map with tons of dungeons to find? If so, omg...

bread's done
Back