Dark Souls (Project Dark) - October 4, 2011

BIg Hat Logan update:

I went back to fire link, and logan was there. Spoke to him.

Went back to archives, and he wasn't there. Went to cell and it was locked again and he wasn't there. Unlocked it. Went to his spot in archives and he was there!!!!!!! Yay, I can finally buy crystal spells!

I think the key is to give him a whack with your weapon when you free him from Sen's. :)

Supposedly that is the cure if Patches gets stuck and won't head go up to Firelink after finishing the Tomb of the Giants. Killing him often caused him to get unstuck and spawn up top.

Another thing which apparently can cause problems with Sen's NPC progression (particularly with Seigmeyer) is if you go back and do the events in Sen's after you've gotten the Lordvessel. Once you have the Lordvessel one never uses the entrance to Anor Londo via the ring on top of the fortress, they just warp to the first bonfire. But clicking through the ring (in the case of Seigmeyer) is the event which causes them to spawn in the next location.

I think I gave my divine ember to Andre(can't remember which sixth actually). I can't seem to get anyone to upgrade my divine weapon past +5. Can you only do that if you give the divine ember to rickert?

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I think I gave my divine ember to Andre(can't remember which sixth actually). I can't seem to get anyone to upgrade my divine weapon past +5. Can you only do that if you give the divine ember to rickert?[/QUOTE]
There is a large Divine ember that you need to do +6 to +10, it can be found guarded by quite a few enemies in the Tomb of the giants. It isn't on the path of sliding down, it is on the path you would do if you climbed back up via ladders. From Patches, head to the right along the ledge, keep going until you see some fallen towers surrounding a hole in the ground which leads into a tomb. That leads on a twisting path up to the start.

Alternately, after you kill the first giant skeleton at the start of the level look over the edge for a ladder you can climb down / ledge you can jump to to enter from the top to take the alternate route down to Patches.

The ember can be found along the way in a room with 4 or 5 giant skeletons.

So is there a point to Humanity?

Also the first boss surprised the hell out of me:
*Walks through veil. Sees Boss underneath me.
*Looks back to veil to see that I can't move.
*Turns back to see boss is now fly-OMGHEfuckINGSWANGWTFIAMDED

Hey, guys, I have a question. I have some friends who want to play Dark Souls with me, but I've heard that it's hard to do co-op because of server design in DS. Is that true, or are those old reviews now false?

I have yet to do this because I am afraid it might not work, can you put your soul sign down and get summoned in a world which you've already beaten the boss?

[quote name='randomdud']Hey, guys, I have a question. I have some friends who want to play Dark Souls with me, but I've heard that it's hard to do co-op because of server design in DS. Is that true, or are those old reviews now false?[/QUOTE]

It's harder than in Demon's Souls, but it's not too bad. You might have to put your soapstone sign down multiple times before your friend can see it, but once he does you're good to go for your whole session (multiple summonings). Just try cancelling it and putting it down again every 30 seconds or so until he sees it.

[quote name='KingBroly']Where can I get a Catalyst exactly?[/QUOTE]

You can get one for free by freeing an NPC in the lower Undead Burg (you need to buy the residence key from the undead merchant). Or you can buy one from the magic blacksmith by heading down the stairs at Firelink, then down the other set of stairs (kind of hidden) and taking the elevator down to New Londo. Then look around there for another set of stairs going down and you'll find Rickart the blacksmith.

[quote name='KingBroly']I decided to start with the Master Key though.[/QUOTE]
Master key doesn't unlock all doors (false advertising), some require a specific key that has to be purchased from an NPC or found in the level.

[quote name='KingBroly']So is there a point to Humanity?

Also the first boss surprised the hell out of me:
*Walks through veil. Sees Boss underneath me.
*Looks back to veil to see that I can't move.
*Turns back to see boss is now fly-OMGHEfuckINGSWANGWTFIAMDED
[/QUOTE]
Humanity is what you use to:
1.)Turn into human form at bonfires so that you can summon phantoms to aid you in defeating bosses / clearing levels
2.)Offered in large quantities to level up in 2 different covenants
3.)Greatly replenishes HP when consumed from inventory which converts it from solid to liquid form and puts it in your humanity bank.
4.)More "liquid" humanity in your "bank" (upper left-hand corner of the screen, not as a pickup in your inventory) means
-A.)higher item drop rate
-B.)Increased damage with Chaos weapon upgrade
-C.)boosted defense stats, especially curse resist

Solid humanity (humanity in your inventory) is not lost upon death, liquid humanity drops into your bloodstain along with your souls and is lost if you die again without retrieving it.

Assuming you avoid spoilers, you are in for a bigger surprise when you come back to the asylum later in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I bought this game in early December and have yet to beat it. DX
Bosses I beat:
Asylum Demon
Demon Taurus?
Bell Gargoyle
Capra Demon
Gaping Dragon
Quealaag
Demon Stray (Revist boss?)
Great Grey Wolf Sif (What a beauty)
How far am I into the game (percent) and what shall I do next?

[quote name='Rosterking']Wow, I bought this game in early December and have yet to beat it. DX
Bosses I beat:
Asylum Demon
Demon Taurus?
Bell Gargoyle
Capra Demon
Gaping Dragon
Quealaag
Demon Stray (Revist boss?)
Great Grey Wolf Sif (What a beauty)
How far am I into the game (percent) and what shall I do next?[/QUOTE]

40% maybe? Next up is usually Sen's Fortress. The entrance is just off the bonfire room in the parish near the blacksmith.

[quote name='Backlash']40% maybe? Next up is usually Sen's Fortress. The entrance is just off the bonfire room in the parish near the blacksmith.[/QUOTE]
Ohh cool, I'm barely 28 hours into this game. So I'm looking at 60+

^ I'm at 117 hours and have yet to beat it :lol:. But I did do every possible extra thing to this point and I only have 1 more boss and then the end area.

I finally got back into this after about 2-3 months. My combat skills were pretty rusty, especially when I got invaded while in human form to fight Paladin Leeroy. Luckily I beat him before the phantom appeared. And I was holding my own until I decided I'd better get back to a more favorable area and all of a sudden the skeleton pillars were blocking my way back. As I was just killing the last one the rat bastard invader hit me in the back with some spell.

In any case, I got Tomb of Giants done for the most part. I stopped playing when I was in what I guess is the baby skeleton spawning room. I assume those mages do not return once killed? And is Nito right after that? If so, I'm near the end then. I've done everything else (already have pyro and spell trophies and I think I have all the miracles/weapons I can get in one playthrough). So then it is finally on to the end boss and then I need to decide if I want to push on with 1 1/2 more playthroughs (which ought to be nuch faster - only problem is it has been so long I'm not sure I'll remember how to get through as quickly as I would have 2 months ago).

(Edit: Just read that I better go find Rhea before Petrus kills here to get some more miracles - hope that hasn't happened yet but probably not because I haven't gone anywhere else yet. But I better do it before dealing with Nito which means backtracking to get back to him again - oh well).

[quote name='guardian_owl']Master key doesn't unlock all doors (false advertising), some require a specific key that has to be purchased from an NPC or found in the level.

Humanity is what you use to:
1.)Turn into human form at bonfires so that you can summon phantoms to aid you in defeating bosses / clearing levels
2.)Offered in large quantities to level up in 2 different covenants
3.)Greatly replenishes HP when consumed from inventory which converts it from solid to liquid form and puts it in your humanity bank.
4.)More "liquid" humanity in your "bank" (upper left-hand corner of the screen, not as a pickup in your inventory) means
-A.)higher item drop rate
-B.)Increased damage with Chaos weapon upgrade
-C.)boosted defense stats, especially curse resist

Solid humanity (humanity in your inventory) is not lost upon death, liquid humanity drops into your bloodstain along with your souls and is lost if you die again without retrieving it.

Assuming you avoid spoilers, you are in for a bigger surprise when you come back to the asylum later in the game.[/QUOTE]

Might as well re-up then. I haven't made much progress in the game anyway. Got distracted and did other things.

IO - You almost got to Nito - he is right after the baby skeletons. The mini-Pinwheels do respawn. But unless you're planning to farm humanity from the baby skellies (greay place to farm), then you can just run through straight from the bonfire to Nito without even having to fight any enemies - just run past them. When you get to the room with the baby skellies just hug the left wall so you don't go down into the water.

You don't need to see Rhea until after you leave the Tomb of the Giants, so don't bother to backtrack. Kill Nito and then warp to Firelink and see Rita in the church at that time.

Put about 20 hours into DkS and then shelved it for my sanity/Skyrim. Probably time to jump back in. Don't really remember where I am. Finished the sewers with those fucking curse frogs and beat the boss there. Not sure what's next.

Restarted with a new character, and I put about 100 minutes into before calling it quits. Really makes me remember why I liked Demon's Souls. And the best advice I can give to anyone playing this game is this: When you have to stealth, get naked.

A few minutes before that advice came into play:
Let's see what's down this path? OH SHIT, NOTHING! fuck! HE FOLLOWED ME! *Backstabbed off Cliff

Glad I got back into this after 3 months. I was so very close to the end, even with cleaning up my last upgrade trophies and making sure I had all the rare weapons I could get at this point.

Last night I killed Nito solo on my first try (I did summon someone but they died on the way to Nito by falling off the cliff where the skeleton columns are :roll:). Then I messed around a bit (farming Black Knights, finishing off the upgrade trophies). Then tonight I made a run at Gwyn without reading anything first. He was nearly impossible to put a dent into and I could never get a chance to heal. Turns out he is resistant to lightning and I was trying to use my lightning spear on him. Then I decided to reverse hollow and see if I could summon anyone. Well, there were no summon signs whatsoever on my way from the Lordvessel down to the fog door. OK... But half way down I got invaded - luckily it did a "connection failed" thing and the guy never showed. Then I found a summon sign at the top of the stairs - but it was just Solaire. I summoned him and went down to the door. Still no other summon signs (and yes, I was still online). OK, I figured I'd give it another shot. This time it was as easy as pie - one of the easier ones in the game. It makes a huge difference if he isn't focusing entirely on you. Solaire kept him busy and I pelted him with some Fireballs and Great Chaos Fireballs and it was all over in less than a minute. Solaire even survived (which he never did before).

So, yeah, I'm done :whee:. I did backup my save right before the door (unfortunately the first time when I was hollow) and my plan is to download it in a day and do the other ending. I'm not sure I'll ever make it through a second playthough (though I will go through at least till I can get that last Miracle and see how quickly I can progress), and I figured I deserve that second gold trophy (for the other ending) for putting 120 hours into this thing ;).

So no plat after all that work? Second and third playthroughs go really quickly now that you know where everything is and you have the best equipment. And of course you aren't worried about collecting everything - just speeding through the game.

Okay, so after a lot of dying, I decided to backtrack a bit to the Shrine, and I found an entire new area that I didn't know existed before. This game REALLY needs a Map. So I'm stuck with a few options right now.

#1 - Continue the way I was going, towards a Dragon blocking the fucking entrance, who, btw, killed me once before.
#2 - Go to the Graveyard and try and fight many Skeletons. This...is not going well thus far.
#3 - Go underground and fight Ghosts, but I need a Curse to do so. I have 2 of them, but I'm afraid I'd need like 20 or so.

So I'm in a bit of a jam and I can't really be sure of where to go. If I had to guess, #3 would be my best guess for progression's sake, but #1 would be the way to go for a small bit of Farming. #2 is just out right now. I'm nowhere near strong enough to fight them.

[quote name='Backlash']So no plat after all that work? Second and third playthroughs go really quickly now that you know where everything is and you have the best equipment. And of course you aren't worried about collecting everything - just speeding through the game.[/QUOTE]

I know - this is the way I usually end up playing RPG's. I do everything up front before completing the main strory in preparation for 100% completion (spending 100+ hours in the process), but then I run out of steam and never quite finish it (either the main story itself or the 100% completion). But yeah, I think I will try running through at least the beginning part again and seeing how tough some of the enemies are. I need to make it to Solaire again at least to get that last miracle. It has been a while (Oct/Nov) since I've done the early parts so I might have forgotten a few things. But also I've heard horror stories about how much tougher things are in NG+. So I'm a little worried about that. In Demon's Souls I barely noticed any difference in NG+ and people say it is very different in Dark Souls.

[quote name='KingBroly']Okay, so after a lot of dying, I decided to backtrack a bit to the Shrine, and I found an entire new area that I didn't know existed before. This game REALLY needs a Map. So I'm stuck with a few options right now.

#1 - Continue the way I was going, towards a Dragon blocking the fucking entrance, who, btw, killed me once before.
#2 - Go to the Graveyard and try and fight many Skeletons. This...is not going well thus far.
#3 - Go underground and fight Ghosts, but I need a Curse to do so. I have 2 of them, but I'm afraid I'd need like 20 or so.

So I'm in a bit of a jam and I can't really be sure of where to go. If I had to guess, #3 would be my best guess for progression's sake, but #1 would be the way to go for a small bit of Farming. #2 is just out right now. I'm nowhere near strong enough to fight them.[/QUOTE]

You would have to say what the last thing you did was for us to answer that. It seems to me there is a #4 option for where you really should go. If you are very early in the game you definitely don't want to do #2 or #3. Have you done the Belfry Gargoyles yet? The Depths?

You pretty much want to follow the areas in the order they are listed on this page:

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/areas

This dragon you speak of - is he the one that flies in and burns you? If that is the case, that is definitely the place you need to go. You just have to time it right and run towards the stairs on the right side of the bridge (don't try to go all the way past him - though you can if you are equipped right). Once you get to those stairs, you can kick down a ladder than gets you back to the bonfire in Undead Burg. You can heal up there, and then go back up and go under the dragon (or if you are bold run past him) to progress with the story.

And make sure you talk to Solaire before trying to cross that bridge (he's behind you when you come down the stairs and first see the dragon).

Here's what the Wiki has to say about the Hellkite dragon - apparently the first time it is an insta-death but then later it is not - so that is definitely a confusing thing because it would discourage you from trying to go back there again:

Run down the bridge as quickly as you can. After a few meters, the Hellkite Dragon will let out a breath of flame across the bridge. If you are lucky, you may be able to reach the middle of the bridge in time. Likely however, this first massive blast will catch you. After the first blast however, the Dragon will not fire again until you are at about the halfway point. Run towards the middle of the brige, and head down the stairs on the right to avoid the next burst of flame.

[quote name='KingBroly']The last thing I did was defeating the Taurus Demon. And then dying...A LOT.[/QUOTE]

That's right before the dragon, right? So, yeah, get back up on that bridge, talk to Solaire, and then run to the stairs on the right half way down the bridge. You just have to run past the skeleton soldiers or pick them off from the beginning the bridge first (if you have some sort of bow). The stairs are right to the right of where they are. You need to get down there quick because that's when the dragon will attack.

After kicking down the ladder and resting up, you can then do some soul farming if you want. You can pop back up the stairs, run in front of one of the skeletons, and then back down the stairs again and the dragon will roast them for I think 300 souls each time. That's nothing where I am in the game (where enemies routinely drop 1000-1500 and I need nearly 70k to level up) but pretty good for early on. When you are ready to progress, head out the door and along the underside of the bridge. If you have a bow you can shoot the dragon's tail from down there to get a great sword that will really help you in upcoming boss fights. I think you can get a bow from the merchant in Undead Burg so stop in there on your way back from Firelink.

I've been avoiding all discussion on this game as I wanted to avoid any accidental spoilers, but I finally beat the game tonight so I can talk freely. Pretty awesome game. Finaly playtime was around 115 hours and my soul level was 86. I got the
Dark Lord ending, although I ran out of the room you kill Gwyn in without even realizing there was a bonfire in there. :oops: The fight with Gwyn itself was pretty tense. Every time I got low on health, I was terrified to use Estus because his long lunging attacks usually took a good amount of health away while I was using it.
It's depressing reading about the game now that I've beaten it and hearing about all the interesting things I missed in my playthrough
(curse you Kingseeker Kaathe & Catacombs blacksmith)

As much as I enjoyed the game, it feels very liberating to finally be able to move on to something else. Spending two months on a game so dark and claustrophobic has me looking forward to other brighter and happier games, lol.

^ Go play Katamari or something ;).

I just finished my second end-game (reloading my pre-ending save from PS+ cloud save). I went into human form and entered the Kiln and once again saw no summon signs. About half way down (before crossing the chasm) I got invaded. Hey! I actually killed the guy this time and it was pretty intense. Of course twice he did the in-front-of-me backstab (thanks to lag) but I survived both times and eventually I wore him down with my lightning spear. For whatever reason he seemed to give up at the end a little and I pummeled him then.

But, I had wasted a bunch of pyro trying to get him which was a waste since any human character will just keep moving to avoid that stuff. So then I went on to get Solaire but he got half his health taken by one of the stupid black knights. On Gwyn, he kept getting grabbed and I ran into the same problem I had before with another boss. When they are in their very long grab animation, they are impervious to attack. So I wasted all my Great Chaos Fireballs on him when he was invincible #-o. Soon I was out of Pyro and Solaire was dead. I simply cannot figure out how to heal because that guy is relentless, so eventually he killed me.

So I went back in again in human form. This time there were 3 summon signs at the top of the steps right inside the Kiln. WTF!? Why didn't I see those earlier or last night? Anyway, the guy I ended up summoning was a pro. Somehow he managed to backstab every black knight. I don't know how that is possible. I can barely even get backstabs when I'm creeping up slowly on an enemy turned the other direction - only seems to work about half the time for me then. It helped a bit that the knights would go after me I suppose.

And then, once again, I got invaded. But this dude didn't stand a chance with the help I had. We finished him off in seconds.

I picked up Solaire (just wanted to for story purposes even though I could have gotten another human if I wanted). Gwyn was easy this time with all 3 of us ganging up on him.

So now my character with all his uber-armor and such is sitting in the cell at the beginning of the game ;). I guess I should get back out there and get to a bonfire at least before stopping for the night.

[quote name='io']That's right before the dragon, right? So, yeah, get back up on that bridge, talk to Solaire, and then run to the stairs on the right half way down the bridge. You just have to run past the skeleton soldiers or pick them off from the beginning the bridge first (if you have some sort of bow). The stairs are right to the right of where they are. You need to get down there quick because that's when the dragon will attack.

After kicking down the ladder and resting up, you can then do some soul farming if you want. You can pop back up the stairs, run in front of one of the skeletons, and then back down the stairs again and the dragon will roast them for I think 300 souls each time. That's nothing where I am in the game (where enemies routinely drop 1000-1500 and I need nearly 70k to level up) but pretty good for early on. When you are ready to progress, head out the door and along the underside of the bridge. If you have a bow you can shoot the dragon's tail from down there to get a great sword that will really help you in upcoming boss fights. I think you can get a bow from the merchant in Undead Burg so stop in there on your way back from Firelink.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah...it was like...
- I died at the Dragon, even though I was behind cover
- Went underneath and got caught between an FU Knight and a Skeleton on some stairs
- Died underneath the Dragon at a random Skeleton

So overall I lost about 10,000-15,000 souls in the process up until now.

[quote name='KingBroly']Well yeah...it was like...
- I died at the Dragon, even though I was behind cover
- Went underneath and got caught between an FU Knight and a Skeleton on some stairs
- Died underneath the Dragon at a random Skeleton

So overall I lost about 10,000-15,000 souls in the process up until now.[/QUOTE]

I just went through the whole beginning of the game (up through the Belfry Gargoyles) tonight on NG+ so this is fresh.

When you first get to the bridge with the dragon, if you step a little way out (where there's a charred area) he will attack. You might be able to turn back and get to safety, or maybe not. At that point, you can then run to the stairs half way down the bridge. If you do this after returning (because you got killed) then the problem will be the skeletons are still there (he roasts them the first time). But you should be able to run past them. Make sure your equip load is 25% or less so you can run fast.

Are these the stairs you said you got caught between two enemies on? If so, that was just a fluke - try it again. You need to get down those stairs and unlock the shortcut back to the bonfire. And then you use the underneath part of the bridge to get to the next area.

Now here's my problem. You people who played NG+ help me out. So you have to get to that bonfire under the dragon - or at least to the sunlight altar. As far as I know there are only 2 ways to get there: run past the dragon's fire or kill the dragon. The Wiki has a lot of strategies for killing him, most of which involve glitches which apparently were fixed in the last patch. I spent about 2 hours trying to kill him tonight with arrows - the tiny health bars that you can barely see on these large monsters is really a hindrance here. Apparently he heals himself which I did not realize. I pumped probably 150 large arrows into him before I realized I wasn't getting anywhere.

Clearly you have to get past here to get that last miracle as Solaire just keeps repeating his "staring at the sun" BS out there on the stairs. He won't let me rejoin even though I am WAY beyond the requirements (Faith + coop). But on the other hand it seems impossible. You can't kill the dragon. And you sure as hell can't run past him any more. While this was relatively easy in the first playthrough, it is impossible now. I equipped all the best fire gear I had, including the best shield and the stone flameplate ring. I made sure I was running fast. I even cast Flash Sweat. He still fries me in one or two passes and I'm not even getting close to the gate. If it doesn't kill me instantly it knocks me down and he makes another pass before I can even get up.

The problem is, of course you can only get that last miracle from Solaire's covenant in NG+ (since you need the final boss soul). But it seems with the latest patch it is impossible to get there!? Maybe I need to get more Dragonslayer arrows. I only had 4 and they did quite a bit of damage. Maybe the only way to do this is to hit him as quickly as possible with those so he doesn't have a chance to heal. Doing it with large arrows (for only about 36 damage) ain't cutting it. I see that he sometimes comes down on to the bridge to melee fight. Can you get around him and to the altar by luring him down?

Any ideas? Or did all of you who got there previously use the tower glitch?

Edit: looking at the ps3trophies forums, it seems there might be a few ways. For one, I should have upgraded a longbow (or Pharis's bow) beyond +5. For some reason I stopped there - well, I really wasn't using bows any more for the last half of the game so I didn't think about them. You might also be able to use soul spear - I've just never dealt with the magic in this game since I was using pyro. Or I could just use that Dragonslayer bow (which I haven't upgraded at all yet so if that's possible maybe that will help). In all those cases I'm going to have to wait till much later in NG+ since I don't have the embers or access to those arrows yet.

Well I got to the shortcut, but...here's the thing. I got to the next veil of light then I got killed almost immediately (had no flasks) so now I have to work my way back over there. It's not hard atm, just a bit tedious under the Bridge, the Rats and at the Gate due to the abundance of enemies there. I also had what I consider to be one cheap death over there because the Dragon attacked much sooner than he usually does.

But beyond that, I'm making some small progress at the moment. It's not much, but it should suffice.

Io - the best way is still just to run past the dragon. Wait in the alcove and as soon as you see him leave his perch (before he even lands on the bridge) start running. You can often (though not always) make it past. And of course use all your best fire-resistant gear.

On the other hand, you can always come back later in NG+, no need to get that miracle right now. You have to go through NG++ up to Sif anyway for plat.

There's apparently a glitch that allows you to manipulate save files and the Bottomless Box so you can just start a Fresh Character, buy the Bottomless Box and get all of that character's gear from another save. So NG+ isn't necessary.

EDIT:
FINALLY found my 3rd Bonfire. Sheesh, that was a brutal experience. Finally used my 11,000 souls to go up 5 levels, much needed. Now to backtrack a tiny bit because I found a Fog Door and I don't want to face
that thing that was shooting lightning at me outside the Blacksmith

At this point, I say Demon's Souls is better. Demon's Souls didn't have these moments of 8-15 enemies at once BS that Dark Souls has. Also, linearity really helps this formula. Me wandering around aimlessly diminishes the hope of me wanting to play.

It is linear if you know where to go ;). But I know what you are saying with the 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc layout of Demon's Souls vs the more open layout of Dark Souls. Yeah, stay away from the Demon by the Blacksmith for now. Go back there once you finish up at least the first Bell Tower if not the second also. By the way, there isn't much backtracking to get to that first Bell for you now. Just go back over the long access bridge to the bonfire/blacksmith and into the doors you face after dealing with the 2 soldiers and 1 archer. Kill the big guy in there (which is not too tough if you take it carefully - lure him outside where it is easier). He is gone forever once you kill him. Then head upstairs (carefully). Note that you can also take the elevator down to Firelink from here so you now have another shortcut. When you go up the stairs you will have to deal with a fast swordsman, and then a mage and about 15 regular undead - you probably won't like that ;). Then up a few ladders and to the boss... I would recommend summoning Solaire (so be in human form when you get up there).

[quote name='KingBroly']There's apparently a glitch that allows you to manipulate save files and the Bottomless Box so you can just start a Fresh Character, buy the Bottomless Box and get all of that character's gear from another save. So NG+ isn't necessary.[/QUOTE]

I read that last night - seems like a hassle and not really necessary. Besides getting past the dragon, I've had no problems in NG+. If I take away the time I messed around trying to kill the dragon, I probably got through the entire first part of the game up through the first Bell Tower in about am hour and a half. I probably spent 15 hours doing that the first time. And everything, including the bosses, has been much easier than I anticipated. Now we'll see how the Capra Demon is since I couldn't handle him at all in my first run (without help).

If I have to do the bottomless box trick to get past that dragon I guess I will do that instead of NG++. But still, it takes a while to get the bottomless box, right? You have to get all the way through The Depths without any good gear. That may actually take more time than just playing in NG+.

I'm thinking about playing this game offline now, because I got invaded earlier and killed in 1 shot. Seemed like a griefer to me. That's one thing I hated about Demon's Souls, and I still hate about Dark Souls. I wish I could opt out of it until a certain level or something while alive, which is part of the reason I stay Hollowed.

I also get the sense that being Hollowed takes away half of your maximum burden.

The undead merchant in undead burg sells the bottomless box after patch 1.05. So basically after the asylum area, getting the box is easier than ever, that's why there are a lot of griefers and low lvl pvp now in dark souls.

Yeah, I'm playing offline then.

I got to the next boss, and that thing is cheap. It's such BS.

EDIT:
Yeah, that's such a poorly designed boss.
Randomly timed Clone that basically cuts the arena by 3/4. Really unfair. First time he spawns with 2/3 health gone, second time half health. Bullshit. Without the clone it'd be a really good, really tough fight as is.
I'm honestly better off against one of the Tall, Brown Knights than I am with that boss.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm thinking about playing this game offline now, because I got invaded earlier and killed in 1 shot. Seemed like a griefer to me. That's one thing I hated about Demon's Souls, and I still hate about Dark Souls. I wish I could opt out of it until a certain level or something while alive, which is part of the reason I stay Hollowed.

I also get the sense that being Hollowed takes away half of your maximum burden.[/QUOTE]

No, this is one big improvement over Demon's Souls - there is no drawback to staying hollowed except for a slightly less resistance to poison and curses. You don't lose half your health and I don't think the max burden is effected. So just play as a hollow and don't worry about it. The only time you'd need to be human is to summon help (Soliare or a human player).

[quote name='CAGkrazy']The undead merchant in undead burg sells the bottomless box after patch 1.05. So basically after the asylum area, getting the box is easier than ever, that's why there are a lot of griefers and low lvl pvp now in dark souls.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even think about this. Before, at least, griefers had to be highly skilled since they needed to get to the good equipment normally without leveling up too much. Now they can get it with very little work. That is a huge problem. Hopefully they patch that up quick.

Broly - You did summon Solaire on the Gargoyles, right? I hate to tell you this, but that fight is not all that hard. Just wait till you run into the Capra Demon ;).

Speaking of which, I just finished up the Capra Demon and the Gaping Dragon. Capra was just as tough as last time with my normal equipment (light armor, shield, and lightning spear). So I decided to change it up and I went in with full Havel gear, iron flesh spell active, and two-handing Quelaag's Fury Sword. I took him down in about 15 seconds that way and only lost half my health :lol:.

Gaping was harder then in the original game which is saying something considering how high of a level I am (109) and the great gear I have. Still, I finished him off first try. Solaire didn't make it though.

I'm running around in human form and not getting invaded at all in these earlier areas - but that makes sense given my level.

But then I just realized something after opening the doors to Blighttown - I didn't have to do the Depths at all, did I? I can just use the back door into Blighttown to get to Quelaag. Oh well, it was fun revisiting these earlier areas in any case. I did need to get the large ember anyway so I can upgrade those bows. I'll have to make sure to pick up the very large ember as soon as I can.

Wait, you can summon Solaire? How? And for starters, I got the thing from him.

And yeah, until Part 2 of that fight, it was pretty simple, but still very methodical.

[quote name='KingBroly']Wait, you can summon Solaire? How? And for starters, I got the thing from him.

And yeah, until Part 2 of that fight, it was pretty simple, but still very methodical.[/QUOTE]

His summon sign should be right before the fog door for the gargoyles. You have to be in human form to summon of course. You may also find some other helpers there. I'm sure not everyone who is using the bottomless box trick is a griefer - some will be helping you as well. When I helped with that level, I put my sign outside the door on the side of the church - where you approach from the bonfire by the blacksmith. You might want to look there as well.

So, I finally made it past the dragon. I just went all out with all my best equipment (which meant going back to the old gold-hemmed set since it still has good fire resistance even after the nerfing from the last patch). I used Flash Sweat and held up my best fire shield and went up to the wall in front of the stairs, baited him into doing his fire attack, then ran as soon as it ended. He is very quick getting it going again and I died several times. But I think I found a small trick. If you head to the left side you might not get completely wiped out. I got knocked down again but this time had 2/3 of my health left. I got back up and got hit again. Then, instead of trying to run, I just rolled like mad and that got me under him. So perhaps the best way is not to run, but to roll all the way there. I dunno... I'm just happy I made it. I was horrified, though, when I got the last two miracles from that covenant and the trophy didn't pop. But then I went through the list and I realized I never bought that 40,000 soul miracle from Oswald (the guy who shows up in the Gargoyle tower after you beat the Gargoyle bosses). That is such an out-of-the-way place in the game (especially as you move on later) that I just never went back there when I had the means to purchase that spell. So I got that and the trophy popped.

Before all this I pushed my way down to Quelaag, summoned Maneater Mildred, and beat Quelaag on the second try. It wasn't hard, I just got sloppy the first time and tried to get in too many hits. I went in with the full Havel gear and used Flash Sweat yet again but just stuck to my lightning spear. It wasn't nearly as bad as the first time I dealt with her. It is nice that in NG+ you don't have to deal with all the rest of Blighttown. I wish Demon's Souls had a similar way of skipping most of World 5 ;). (I still need to finish Worlds 3 and 5 off for the 3rd time to platinum Demon's Souls).

I also went over to the forest (beating the demon that shoots lightning below the blacksmith - the trick there, Broly, is to dodge the lightning which is very easy and then hit him when he's prepping his next lightning attack - but back away after a hit or two because he does a nasty side swipe sometimes). I tried the little farming trick in the forest - you get like 30-40K in NG+, which is pretty nice. Then I went on to beat the Moonlight Butterfly again. I held off on Sif because I didn't really remember exactly where he was or how I beat him before.

So next up is the big test. First I have that incredibly annoying Sen's Fortress. I hated that place last time. And then I have to get to Anor Londo and see if the trophy pops. If it doesn't I'm screwed. It glitched on me and didn't pop in my original game. I've seen some discussion of this on forums so it was not an isolated problem for me. I thought they would address it for sure with the last patch but no, of course they didn't. So I'll make a cloud save before I fight the Iron Golem and try it again if it doesn't pop. I think last time I went back to the bonfire before touching the light thingie that takes you to Anor Londo. That shouldn't glitch it, but this time I'll be sure to go straight there just in case that was it. But hopefully it plays nice with the NG+ aspect, too (ie, their code still pops location trophies even if you are on the second playthrough and should have them all already) - I'd hate to have to start a completely new game and get all the way there just to get that last stupid trophy that theoretically is story-related and 100% guaranteed.

Can you summon him while offline?

EDIT:
By the way, I had no problem being a soul in Demon's Souls. My problem was that online forced you into the PvP communal aspect. I want to play a game like this either alone or with others, not against others.

EDIT 2:
Didn't work, man. Solaire died in like 5 seconds when the other Gargoyle came out. I have to grind levels cuz it's a BS fight. I'm at Lv.22, btw.

Don't remember what level I fought them at but I don't remember having that much trouble with the gargoyles, I believe I killed them on my first try. It is likely because I had the hekkite dragon tail (attack the dragon's tail on the right side of under the bridge over and over and over with a bow until the tail breaks, and you get a new weapon). If comparing to Demon Souls I found it much easier than Maneater as you had free reign to maneuver around the rooftop instead of being confined to a narrow walkway which you could fall off.

If I had to hazard a guess, the 2nd gargoyle likely appears after X seconds or when the 1st gargoyle reaches Y level of health.

You can summon NPC helpers offline.

===

Fire resistance gear isn't going to help much at all with the dragon in NG+ as it doesn't help any at all in NG when trying to beat him (I still have been unable to kill him even though I am near the end of NG). His inferno fire tower kills you instantly.

If I remember I got by the dragon by triggering his "walk toward the staircase" animation. I just can't remember the exact method I did it. I either went to the lefthand side and kept poking out to trigger a fire attack then heading back behind cover so that he eventually jumped down in frustration and started walking along the bridge OR I might have been on the left hand side and fired off a few arrows until he jumped down and started walking toward. As soon as he jumped down, I sprinted under his legs to the end of the bridge.

edit:
Based on this video it was probably the second method
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zCsDjOk9dk

[quote name='KingBroly']Can you summon him while offline?

EDIT:
By the way, I had no problem being a soul in Demon's Souls. My problem was that online forced you into the PvP communal aspect. I want to play a game like this either alone or with others, not against others.

EDIT 2:
Didn't work, man. Solaire died in like 5 seconds when the other Gargoyle came out. I have to grind levels cuz it's a BS fight. I'm at Lv.22, btw.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you can summon the NPC's offline (there are others - I just used Mildred on Quelaag and Witch Beatrice on Moonlight Butterfly and Solaire shows up for 3 or 4 battles, including the end one where he really makes a difference so you want to make sure you keep using him and "save" him in the later part of the game).

As for the Gargoyles, definitely make sure you get that sword from the dragon's tail, which is super easy to do. You probably need a good weapon at this point. Though I think I just used the winged spear (an old favorite from Demon's Souls) which you can get from down where the skeletons are below Firelink Shrine.

There is one HUGE advantage to staying online though, Broly - you will see lots of helpful messages about where treasures are, heads up on enemy ambushes, locations of secret (illusory) walls, etc. Playing offline feels empty and lonely in that regard. I would do it occasionally when I was really getting annoyed by invaders and needed to be human for summoning. But in a lot of places, you can summon help right near the bonfire, and then that person can help you deal with invaders.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Fire resistance gear isn't going to help much at all with the dragon in NG+ as it doesn't help any at all in NG when trying to beat him (I still have been unable to kill him even though I am near the end of NG). His inferno fire tower kills you instantly.[/QUOTE]

Well, fire resistant gear is the only thing that let me live long enough to get past him. And it made a difference when I switched out my regular leggings/gauntlets for the gold-hemmed ones with better fire resistance. You can get by his sweeping "inferno fire tower" by the way - I just did it last night. I was nearly dead and just rolled through it. Like I said before, I baited his attack from the right side, then ran across to the left and hugged the wall. I got blasted there and lost about 1/3 of my health (thanks to the gear and Flash Sweat). Then just as I got up and started the run animation I got knocked down again from his sweeping fire (since I was closer to him now) and lost nearly all the rest of my health. At this point I realized it was too slow to get back up and start the running animation. So I just started rolling at that point and made it through. Then, strangely enough, after I rested at the bonfire he was gone and I could stroll back out on the bridge and get those treasures which I don't think I got the first time (nothing special though).

bread's done
Back