Dark Souls - the successor to Demon's Souls - Now available

[quote name='LordVila']You can't sell stuff which adds to the challenge. You don't HAVE to defeat the dragon you can go below the bridge and avoid it all together. To defeat it you will need SEVERAL arrows.[/QUOTE]
Well i wanted to beat it and get the stuff near it.

The items you pick up not being able to do anything with them besides dropping them kinda makes me go hmmmm.... At least let the people recycle the metal or something and goes towards metals used to upgrade weapons or something. Who these days ignores loot? I grab everything i see and i got 1 of one item x 40 already... I just figured there would be some reason to pick up loot. My char still uses the default armor for the wanderer cause the rest so far is really lower then what i got now.

Anyone else notice hardly anyone is around to link up with? I will find people galore then nobody for like 1 hour to 3 hours while playing. You see there blue ghost wandering around you when you see people connected to your world somewhat. You can put down things so they can invite you into there game. I hope it is a problem with the game cause if not nobody really owns this game it seems or all playing offline while in party chat.

I also found a way to play with someone which is easy since nobody seems to be playing this online mode only. I guess to many people addicted to party chat. I hope that does not kill the online aspect of it.

For the life of me, I can't play this with my friend. We both bought copies thinking that we'd actually be able to play together. You have to jump through hoops to even get the chance.

- You need to wait until the second boss fight is finished. (Alright, fair enough.)

- You need to find an item to be brought to a friend's world. (Well, okay. Fine.)

Then it gets borderline ridiculous..

- One person has to be human.

- One person has to be hollow.

- Both people must be at the same spot, within 10% of the same level.

- You must hope that your friend can see your sign, as it may just be appearing to other random people and not him.

- The summoner must be wearing blue socks.

- The one being summoned must have a middle name beginning with the letter J, and have an age divisible by 7.

- You can only successfully summon on the second Wednesday of every month.

In all seriousness, I've never felt so much rage toward a video game in my life. It isn't the difficulty of the game that bothers me, I actually enjoy that. I just can't stand the way they handle co-op.

Has anyone been successful in playing with a friend? What about just a random player?

I don't have the game, but from what I read, wasn't the whole point that you're not really supposed to know who you're playing with when someone enters your world? There's no voice chat, etc.

[quote name='buddynayr']I don't have the game, but from what I read, wasn't the whole point that you're not really supposed to know who you're playing with when someone enters your world? There's no voice chat, etc.[/QUOTE]

Yes, which is the stupidest shit I've ever heard. If I wanted to 'deepen the experience', I'd just refrain from using voice chat and playing with someone I know. Why not give us the choice instead of telling us how to play?

I bet the devs are all pro-life.

EDIT: Sorry if that last comment offended anyone, it was in poor taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Well i wanted to beat it and get the stuff near it.

The items you pick up not being able to do anything with them besides dropping them kinda makes me go hmmmm.... At least let the people recycle the metal or something and goes towards metals used to upgrade weapons or something. Who these days ignores loot? I grab everything i see and i got 1 of one item x 40 already... I just figured there would be some reason to pick up loot. My char still uses the default armor for the wanderer cause the rest so far is really lower then what i got now.

Anyone else notice hardly anyone is around to link up with? I will find people galore then nobody for like 1 hour to 3 hours while playing. You see there blue ghost wandering around you when you see people connected to your world somewhat. You can put down things so they can invite you into there game. I hope it is a problem with the game cause if not nobody really owns this game it seems or all playing offline while in party chat.

I also found a way to play with someone which is easy since nobody seems to be playing this online mode only. I guess to many people addicted to party chat. I hope that does not kill the online aspect of it.[/QUOTE]

I was corrected by a friend and apparently there IS a NPC later in the game that will buy items from you but for very low amounts of souls. I haven't seen this NPC yet though. The items by the dragon if I remember correctly are
a great sword and some souls and a bonfire. The area below the dragon is where the E3 demo took place at.

An easy way to defeat the dragon is
when you get inside climb up a tall tower and you will have to defeat a black knight. After you defeat it you will be above the dragon. Aim at the dragons back with bow and arrow and shoot it. It will fly off and die and you will be 10k souls richer.

Part of the problem with the online aspect is to be able to be summoned into someone elses world they have to be in human form. If your in human form that also leaves you open to invasion so some people are to scared to go into human form. Plus you have to be in a certain level range of that person to be able to join/invade them. So if you are over/under leveled you might have difficulties. I typically always run around in human form unless if I am farming because I love PvP. I have helped a few random people with the first real boss but I haven't summoned anyone into my game to help me with a boss because I don't want/need help. So there is a lot of issues with the online mode but these are mostly the same issues as with Demon's Souls but the multiple server issue isn't helping matters any.

[quote name='xCappax']meh... my copy didn't even come in today via Amazon and I ordered in May with release date delivery!! I complained to Amazon and they gave me $5 credit I'll take it lol... still undecided about putting it up on Ebay though, we'll see.[/QUOTE]

Value is already tanking, just enjoy the game. I am enjoying it a lot more than Demon's Souls.

hmm so int is useless for a pyromancer? =p

i got the 12 dex for a bow and some str for the sword and been putting points in endurance, hope im doing it right lol

also joined some guild of white light last night, not sure what that does hehe.

anyone around SL 67 want to kill the wolf with me and will do the same for them. Hell i will let the other person go first i am hollow right now at the wolf den huge doors waiting. We should get a thread going on here to co op this bad boy. I love the game to death but co op with randoms takes like 30-2 hours maybe even more to find a random to bring me along to a boss fight. That is a long idle spree.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']anyone around SL 67 want to kill the wolf with me and will do the same for them. Hell i will let the other person go first i am hollow right now at the wolf den huge doors waiting. We should get a thread going on here to co op this bad boy. I love the game to death but co op with randoms takes like 30-2 hours maybe even more to find a random to bring me along to a boss fight. That is a long idle spree.[/QUOTE]

I beat him at 50 something but I'm willing to help you beat him, that is if we end up on the same server. I beat him by rolling to avoid his attacks and then using Great Combustion (Pyromancy spell) when I had an opening.

Anyone know if it's okay to exit the game without quitting, by using the guide button?
(Turn off system/go to dashboard)

[quote name='KrizB']Anyone know if it's okay to exit the game without quitting, by using the guide button?
(Turn off system/go to dashboard)[/QUOTE]

You might be ok, but there's explicitly a warning that doing so may cause your save to get corrupted, so do you really want to take that chance?

On the other hand I know I've gone into options and quit the game correctly through the menu, and STILL had a warning come up the next time I played that my game may not have been saved correctly, so go figure.

I always quit through the option screen, was just wondering if it was alright to do it the fast way.

Seems like every time I start to get into the thick of things, someone calls or wants something.
Have to do the "slow stand up while backing out of the room and navigating options" move.

This is one of those games where I really wish there was a demo. I'm so on the fence about grabbing this but without a demo to actually test the "insane difficulty" to see if I even enjoy myself I can't justify anything over bargain bin prices.

[quote name='nasum']This is one of those games where I really wish there was a demo. I'm so on the fence about grabbing this but without a demo to actually test the "insane difficulty" to see if I even enjoy myself I can't justify anything over bargain bin prices.[/QUOTE]

Redbox now has it, only $2+tax.

So is nobody playing this game? Or are you all too busy playing to talk about it? Lets go people. Lets talk. What weapon are you using?

Iaito +10 here.

Playing, but not posting- mainly stick to the Dark Souls thread in the PS3 section.

Level 75 Bandit
Battle Axe +10 (good)
Demon Spear +2 (better)
Quelaag's Furysword +2 (best)

Busy playing, although I had to take a week off because I was out of town. Level 28 thief, weapon's not worth mentioning. I'm still loving it, and trying to stay away from guides and such until I'm tired of playing.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Theres no party chat or private chat allowed in this game apparently.
Not that anyone wants to hear me screaming anyways.[/QUOTE]

Hey I got this game for Christmas and I can see why they removed party chat, it would be a bit easier to coordinate things with a partner and It's a bit more enjoyable summoning random people because you never know what to expect when it comes to that boss batttle.

I am loving this game and I'm sure I've died at least 300+ times since getting to Blight Town (which I just left, and apparently took a shortcut so now I get to go back there lol).

This game is great, I'm shocked by the lack of posts in this thread and also how little GOTY nods it has gotten. Was Demon Souls better, or are people just sleeping on this game? (I never played Demon Souls because I don't own a PS3.)

... or maybe people are just bitter because this game requires patience and you just can't mash your way through it.

Guess I spoke too soon, gametrailers gave this RPG over the year (over Skyrim!) http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-role-playing-game-of-the/725240

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got this game about a week ago and I have about 35 hours in.

Needless to say, I'm a fan.

Anyone still playing it? I'd love to get some discussion going.

Currently just rang the two bells and took down the Catacombs.

And yes, I'd say I am enjoying Dark Souls more than Skyrim.

One of my favorite games ever..I still play this constantly. How long did it take you to finish Blighttown? I really hated that place my first time playing....kept constantly getting lost.

A few hours. I originally tried to go very early, since I got a rare drop from a ghost (Jagged Ghost Blade) on accident and it upped my ATK from like 20 to 175. I had the master key and went there and checked it out, but I eventually realized I was way out of my zone. Blightown is my most dreaded of areas so far. Same with the Catacombs, but once I came back with a divine weapon, it wasn't so bad.

I played this to death on my ps3.. trying to find a deal on it to get it for my Xbox now is turning out to be a pain.

[quote name='SnoT']I played this to death on my ps3.. trying to find a deal on it to get it for my Xbox now is turning out to be a pain.[/QUOTE]

It's $25 at Gamefly now.

Sorry for the super old topic bump, but I went back to this game yesterday. Granted, I had only put in 5 hours, but something has me confused.

I died, came back, and died again without being able to collect my souls. Rather than resuming from that same most recent bonfire, it put me way back at the Undead Burg. I thought I was always supposed to start at the last bonfire activated, so why was I sent back ao damn far?

Sorry for the super old topic bump, but I went back to this game yesterday. Granted, I had only put in 5 hours, but something has me confused.

I died, came back, and died again without being able to collect my souls. Rather than resuming from that same most recent bonfire, it put me way back at the Undead Burg. I thought I was always supposed to start at the last bonfire activated, so why was I sent back ao damn far?
Pre-emptive karma strike for thread necromancy?

bread's done
Back