Dashboard update: XBox games coming to XBox Live

[quote name='valor19']Wait... I didn't read every reply here, but let me think about this...

Halo downloaded via LIVE = $15
Halo (physical copy new from BB) = $10

Umm...[/QUOTE]

...it will really suck when your 360 dies and you have to re-buy it, cause we all know MS sure as hell won't credit you back without a fight. I'll take a physical disk please.

[quote name='zewone']Umm...yes you can download any game you've purchased on XBl as many times as you want on any system.[/QUOTE]

With any Live Arcade game, if your 360 gets smoked, you can re-download again sure, but you can only play online, not offline.

[quote name='javeryh']Wouldn't it be the shit if the new fall update removed the BC features basically forcing you to DL old Xbox games to play them on your 360?[/QUOTE]

The more I keep reading about this, the more I think that. It's like giving the finger to people who bought the games on the xbox and kept them for the 360. "I know you bought Kotor on release date for $50 and you like playing it on your 360 still, but guess what bitch?!?! You're gonna have to pay another $15 to play it again, from the beginning, and your old xbox disc is useless. Bwahhahaaahaahaaahaa!!!!"

or something like that.

I mean, why should I download something I already own and pay for it again? that's retarded.

For games that are rare (MvC2, Psychonauts, etc) I can see it...but come on....

Come on......

Come on.....

geeze... why can't MS at least credit back the people who bought the game already or give us an expansion >_< gheynessitty.

Also, I can see the 120gig HDD being more useful now, though there better be good stuff to download cheaper than they have listed.

...there are people who think that MS would remove the BC compatible feature of the 360? Especially after reading all the "goodwill" that such a move earned Sony?

yeesh. Conspiracies abound!

What irks me is this:
M$ is letting us download games, and yet I still have xbox games that are not BC yet? I want to play Capcom vs SNK2 again, dammit!!! Give me my NFL2k5!!!!

[quote name='ryoga79']What irks me is this:
M$ is letting us download games, and yet I still have xbox games that are not BC yet? I want to play Capcom vs SNK2 again, dammit!!! Give me my NFL2k5!!!![/QUOTE]

Don't worry, you'll be able to play them soon...for $15.

I would consider getting Psychonauts, never even seen that in a store (not that I've looked that hard mind you)..

Wonder what else is in the dashboard update?

I'll stick to my classic disc versions. It's great for those who didn't get into the original Xbox, but other than that I find it useless and just adds to our lazy society. What happen to bringing out that classic console and showing it love. Speaking of sounds like a great spin off for the "Toy Story" franchise.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Don't worry, you'll be able to play them soon...for $15.[/QUOTE]

That would be great....if all 3 weren't sitting on my shelf....lol

[quote name='the_deej']I'd like to see Riddick on this[/QUOTE]
They're rereleasing The Chronicles of Riddick as an Xbox 360 title.

I think what would make most of these worthwhile would be achievements and online play for games that weren't online.

So, hopefully it makes it possible for games like MvC2 to come out. Achievements + online play? Win.

I'd be the asshole to buy Buffy The Vampire Slayer :applause:. Hell, I'd play that game for the achievements :D What an awesome game that was...!!

So..if they DID go with achievements for Xbox games..do we say 200 points? 1000? Or go higher then an arcade game, but less then a retail 360 game?..like 500? 500 points could be cool.

[quote name='lilboo']I think what would make most of these worthwhile would be achievements and online play for games that weren't online.

So, hopefully it makes it possible for games like MvC2 to come out. Achievements + online play? Win.

I'd be the asshole to buy Buffy The Vampire Slayer :applause:. Hell, I'd play that game for the achievements :D What an awesome game that was...!!

So..if they DID go with achievements for Xbox games..do we say 200 points? 1000? Or go higher then an arcade game, but less then a retail 360 game?..like 500? 500 points could be cool.[/quote]

That would be the only way I would use this service, otherwise I see no point to it. I may get a rare gem here or there if they make them available.

Thinking about it more, there are some games I'd buy at 1200 points, but only if there were achievements, so I guess MS knows what it is doing heh.

[quote name='lilboo']
So..if they DID go with achievements for Xbox games..do we say 200 points? 1000? Or go higher then an arcade game, but less then a retail 360 game?..like 500? 500 points could be cool.[/quote]

I was thinking about this, and agree that 500 is a fair amount of points per game, as it is more than an XBLA title, but less than a retail game. Hopefully there will be achievements :pray:

I'm surprised that so few of you have considered the DRM ramifications of this move. (I only noticed one person mention it through the first 6 pages of this thread). Losing easy access to your XBLA games because your console died is one thing, but losing access to a fully fledged console title, IMO, is entirely unacceptable. I'm betting a good majority of the people who've responded to this thread have had the RRoD at least once.

MS really should revisit their DRM scheme and find a way to make it easier for console owners to restore access to digital titles after a console's death. If they can ban hacked consoles remotely then they certainly can transfer ownership from one console to the next.

I definitely agree about the DRM issue. People need to make a BIG deal out of this until MS relents. The way they handle it now is flat out customer hostile.

[quote name='daphatty']I'm surprised that so few of you have considered the DRM ramifications of this move. (I only noticed one person mention it through the first 6 pages of this thread). Losing easy access to your XBLA games because your console died is one thing, but losing access to a fully fledged console title, IMO, is entirely unacceptable. I'm betting a good majority of the people who've responded to this thread have had the RRoD at least once.

MS really should revisit their DRM scheme and find a way to make it easier for console owners to restore access to digital titles after a console's death. If they can ban hacked consoles remotely then they certainly can transfer ownership from one console to the next.[/QUOTE]

The microsoft representative I was unforutnately put through to in my attempt to play my arcade games offline on my new system was more than adamant that it was a "legality" issue and could do nothing about it. They've also abandoned their program of offering users points to repurchase the content on a new system.

[quote name='daphatty']I'm surprised that so few of you have considered the DRM ramifications of this move. (I only noticed one person mention it through the first 6 pages of this thread). Losing easy access to your XBLA games because your console died is one thing, but losing access to a fully fledged console title, IMO, is entirely unacceptable. I'm betting a good majority of the people who've responded to this thread have had the RRoD at least once.

MS really should revisit their DRM scheme and find a way to make it easier for console owners to restore access to digital titles after a console's death. If they can ban hacked consoles remotely then they certainly can transfer ownership from one console to the next.[/QUOTE]

The first time I had my console replaced they gave me points to re-download all my content. The second time I was able to re-download everything without points on the marketplace tab. They work offline or online.

[quote name='jer7583']The microsoft representative I was unforutnately put through to in my attempt to play my arcade games offline on my new system was more than adamant that it was a "legality" issue and could do nothing about it. They've also abandoned their program of offering users points to repurchase the content on a new system.[/quote]
They won't give out points anymore if you upgrade on your own. If you send it back to MS for repairs though, they will indeed give you the points to unlock your games for offline play.

I was kind of pissed when I upgraded to an elite and they wouldn't give me the points to unlock it, but at the same time I somewhat understood, since I could have left all the games on my old console for the new owner to play (of course I didn't do that, but how do they know?). It's not exactly an ideal situation, but hopefully they can come up with a solution soon.

[quote name='Ryukahn']They won't give out points anymore if you upgrade on your own. If you send it back to MS for repairs though, they will indeed give you the points to unlock your games for offline play.

I was kind of pissed when I upgraded to an elite and they wouldn't give me the points to unlock it, but at the same time I somewhat understood, since I could have left all the games on my old console for the new owner to play (of course I didn't do that, but how do they know?). It's not exactly an ideal situation, but hopefully they can come up with a solution soon.[/quote]
no, they stopped doing that

[quote name='elsnow77']no, they stopped doing that[/quote]

Since when? Did you have yours repaired and they not give you the points to download your games or something? If so you should call up and complain until someone competant gets on the phone.

I'm way too much of a Cheap ass to re-buy some games from the last Gen. Most xbox games are dirt cheap at EB, throw in a B2G1 sale and you'd be an idiot to buy these downloads.

Even if they did have achivment points, I'd rather buy XBLA games then OG Xbox games.

The only bright side I see from this is if they let the "virtual" xbox games play on live with the disk versions. I'm up for some Midtown Maddness 3 as soon as they re-release it.

[quote name='KingDox']I'm way too much of a Cheap ass to re-buy some games from the last Gen. Most xbox games are dirt cheap at EB, throw in a B2G1 sale and you'd be an idiot to buy these downloads.

Even if they did have achivment points, I'd rather buy XBLA games then OG Xbox games.

The only bright side I see from this is if they let the "virtual" xbox games play on live with the disk versions. I'm up for some Midtown Maddness 3 as soon as they re-release it.[/quote]

MM3 was freakin awesome back in the day. I used to play that for hours at a time with a bunch of people from the IGN Xbox board.

I would consider buying these games if they came with some sort of new xbox live support, or if they ran much better then orginal games, which tended to have lag and slowing down. I remember all of fables texts going in and out of the game when playing it on the 360.

But for most games I would agree that they shouldn't be purchased if they are cheaper some where else and since they are just downloads they can't be traded in.

MS promised will be BC all XBOX games on XBOX360 and we given times to do that. I waited almost 6 months for new BC list then this new released. Shaqfu u MS. Now i much re-buy Orginal XBOX :(

[quote name='Masterkyo']MS promised will be BC all XBOX games on XBOX360 and we given times to do that. I waited almost 6 months for new BC list then this new released. Shaqfu u MS. Now i much re-buy Orginal XBOX :([/quote]

What the hell did you just say?

[quote name='akilshohen']I don't get this I started a koren account, but it doesn'y work when log in to in,[/QUOTE]
What the hell is going on on this page with the nonsensical rambling?

I don't see why anyone thinks this will stop furthur backwards compatibility updates. All of the games they've announced for this service are already backwards compatible and my guess is all future games on this service will be too.

It's easy for them to make the games downloadable because they already have them working on the 360 through backwards compatibility. If anything this will increase backwards compatibility support as they can now make more money off of old titles through downloads.

Most of the old games on XBLA are emulated, not ported. Backwards compatibility is emulation.

There will be some issues with the xbox games that will be able to be downloaded.

• Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge: There is some minor flickering at the top of the screen that happens very rarely. The "Press A to Continue" message is missing when the host player leaves a multiplayer game. Additional content within the game (such as demos & trailers) are not supported and selecting those options may result in crashing the game (requiring a restart of the console)
  • Fable: There are some random bursts of audio static and some minor texture issues and a short hang up when removing tattoos. Additional content within the game (such as demos & trailers) are not supported and selecting those options may result in crashing the game (requiring a restart of the console)
  • Fuzion Frenzy: There are some minor frame rate issues. Additional content within the game (such as demos & trailers) are not supported and selecting those options may result in crashing the game (requiring a restart of the console)
  • Halo: There are some very mild frame rate drops.
  • Psychonauts: HDMI 720p is not supported for PAL users. Running the game in 720p over HDMI will result in the game locking up for PAL users. If you are using HDMI output, set the resolution to 1080i or 1080p (anything but 720p)

I never dealt with Microsoft about the DRM issues when I exchanged my 360 for another at Target. I don't mind much. But, considering some of these games are offline... if you lose your console... that's gonna be a mess.

I could go for Indigo Prophecy. This is cool, with two problems:

-Games are tied to the hardware. Someone once claimed that as of the spring '07 update you could play them on any console offline as long you're playing them on the profile that bought them. That would be cool, but since then I've heard otherwise.

-The huge amount of space these take up. Wouldn't be an issue if we could use our own drives. I just bought a "regular" 360 too. Figures. If issue #1 didn't exist, I'd actually start buying them and suddenly 120GB seems reasonable.

[quote name='KaneRobot']What the hell is going on on this page with the nonsensical rambling?[/QUOTE]
I thought this was the topic for the free LIVE games on the 15th. I want Hexic 2 instead of Cassarone

[quote name='mykevermin']:roll: at the "issues."

Jaysis. [/QUOTE]
Right, because emulation never has issues. :roll:

Code:
# Tekken 5: A number of modes don't play background music properly.

# Xenosaga Episode II: The opening movie sometimes stops and sometimes doesn't properly play background music.

# Code Age Commanders: Problems (including data loss) with save game data.

# Radiata Stories: Background music during movie scenes may not play back properly.

# Star Ocean Till the End of Time (includes Directors Cut): Movie scenes may not have proper sound playback.

# Driving Emotion Type-S: BGM may not properly play back during races

# Gran Turismo 4: The screen may freeze following the title demo.

# Hot Shots Golf 3/4: Some sort of problem with the controls becoming unresponsive

# Operator's Side: The game freezes at the logo screen when started up with the Seamic controller

# Onimusha Dawn of Dreams: Screen will occasionally appear 2cm to the right

# Hyper Street Fighter II Anniversary Edition: The screen will not appear correctly in some instances. The S.F.II Movie cannot play properly.

# Megaman X7: There are times when the background music won't play properly

# Devil May Cry: The screen will sometimes freeze during the title demo

# Onimusha: During movie playback, the sound will occasionally stop

# Suikoden III: Cannot read PS1 data during the game.

# Silent Hill 2: When going from the title screen to the demo screen, the screen may freeze

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745439p1.html

[quote name='shieryda']I thought that this was the 360 thread?[/quote]

LmAo! That is just greatness! /win

So i guess halo isnt going to have achievements or MP? Or are we just really uncertain at this point?

bread's done
Back